Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Coming back to browsing on Sailfish again after a couple of years of only using it for calls and emails, I am on the lookout for a native Sailfish browser that can handle YouTube and eBay. I even went as far as installing Android support and the DuckDuckGo browser, but I found it just as bad as the native Sailfish Browser.

1) YouTube
"Liking" comments or typing replies is an absolute nightmare, and editing my own comments once submitted is not possible at all.

Example:
When I tap on the "like" button, I expect the browser to accept as a "like". Instead, it opens a menu like this:

Name:  Screenshot_20230810.png
Views: 6757
Size:  253.8 KB

You may call it a minor inconvenience, and you may well be right.
Other cases I mentioned like handling the replies is much worse, almost to the point of being unusable.

2) eBay
Browsing is almost OK (on a par with other mobile browsers), but I get a big red banner on top telling me I am using an unsupported browser when I try to make a payment.

Last edited by pichlo; 2023-08-10 at 10:31. Reason: Added screenshot

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Coming back to browsing on Sailfish again after a couple of years of only using it for calls and emails, I am on the lookout for a native Sailfish browser that can handle YouTube and eBay. I even went as far as installing Android support and the DuckDuckGo browser, but I found it just as bad as the native Sailfish Browser.

1) YouTube
"Liking" comments or typing replies is an absolute nightmare, and editing my own comments once submitted is not possible at all.

Example:
When I tap on the "like" button, I expect the browser to accept as a "like". Instead, it opens a menu like this:

Attachment 41713

Other cases I mentioned like handling the replies is much worse, almost to the point of being unusable.

2) eBay
Browsing is almost OK (on a par with other mobile browsers), but I get a big red banner on top telling me I am using an unsupported browser when I try to make a payment.

I would recommend checking out Angelfish from Chum and since you have app support, Brave and Firefox for Android.
For YouTube I use microTube and I’m more than happy with it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020

1) YouTube

Example:

Attachment 41713

2) eBay
I don't use the native SFOS browser, I do use Iceraven-browser, Fennec F-droid, Midori Android or Firefox ESR in a Linux container as alternatives.

The Following User Says Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks, guys. for your suggestions. The trouble with them is that all of them are of the "why don't you try [...]" kind. That's exactly the problem, there are way too many to try. I am looking for a specific answer.

I am not looking for, "I am using browser X and I like it".
I am looking for, "I am using browser X and it works with eBay."

Thanks, guys. for your suggestions. The trouble with them is that all of them are of the "why don't you try [...]" kind. That's exactly the problem, there are way too many to try. I am looking for a specific answer.

I am not looking for, "I am using browser X and I like it".
I am looking for, "I am using browser X and it works with eBay."

Brave works great with everything if you don’t want to try anything else, plus the Adblock and everything else. I recommended both with FF because I use them both in most platforms, but either of them work just as good!

The Following User Says Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, jolla, sailfish