Originally Posted by DisCorD View Post
Matt i feel your pain. Ive had this issue since day one :-(

Ive followed this site religiously, but never had much to say so ive only registered now.

As Matt has pointed out, the Wifi works flawlessly so long as you stay within range. The second the phone loses its connection with the router (eg: i leave my house to go to varsity) when i return home, and the N9 is back within range of the network, it refuses to connect again.

The Wlan is seen, but on attempting to reconnect i get the error "there is something wrong with the network connection"

the only solution is to restart the router.

Ive tried every possible combination of settings on my router. to no avail. This issue is crippling for me. from where im from (South Africa) 3G data-costs are terribly expensive and my devices live on Wifi connections. With this wifi problem, my N9 was unusable.

ive sadly moved onto a Galaxy Nexus purely because of it. :-(

i still love my N9 and every day i Google this issue with bated breath in hopes for a fix. The day i find a solution for this, my Nexus will become a paperweight

Ps: i have tried the WPS button thingy mentioned above, but still, the problem persists...oh, and sorry for the long post

PPS: this is definitely not a hardware issue. ive tried reproducing this bug in Nitdroid and it just isnt an issue. The wifi in nitdroid works 100%. so this is certainly something to do with Harmattan

Yes man... no solution yet. The only way to use the Wifi on N9 is, that everytime you move out of your house/office, make sure to disable the net or change to Data Package, before it gets cut-off from the range. This way, atleast when you are back in your Wifi range, your N9 will be able to connect to Wifi connection.. Thats it..

I'm on PR1.3 and I don't have this wi-fi re-connection problem. My N9 will kick out my 3G when I'm in the range of a known wi-fi as it should. I don't think PR1.3 is causing the problem.

However you could try the following:
1) use static IP. If you need more detail see post #7
2) change your wi-fi channel.
3) change your router. The brand may be incompatible with N9. I'm using TP-Link and it works great.

One more thing. Your wi-fi network is set to "automatically used network isn't it? Just checking. Allow background connection should also be enabled.

I have a feeling No. 1) may solve the problem but you must be willing to try it.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-10-09 at 13:14.

Try other wifi security options.
Best is WPA2 AES.

I'm switching between routers a lot and found N9 is better than my laptop.

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
I'm on PR1.3 and I don't have this wi-fi re-connection problem. My N9 will kick out my 3G when I'm in the range of a known wi-fi as it should. I don't think PR1.3 is causing the problem.

However you could try the following:
1) use static IP. If you need more detail see post #7
2) change your wi-fi channel.
3) change your router. The brand may be incompatible with N9. I'm using TP-Link and it works great.

One more thing. Your wi-fi network is set to "automatically used network isn't it? Just checking. Allow background connection should also be enabled.

I have a feeling No. 1) may solve the problem but you must be willing to try it.
Thanks for the feedback. I will try using a static IP again and hopefully that will fix the issue. Also, I'm thinking of buying a new router anyway so I'll definitely look for a tp-link model.

Thanks again. I'll report back once I'm back at home

Hi Matt,

I had problems with WiFi that I managed to solve by disabling 802.11n mode on the wireless access point. My access point allowed me to restrict it to 802.11b/g only

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I also had the something's wrong problem, with pr1.3. Rebooting the router fixed it.Luckily it hasn't returned. Its a Cisco/Linksys router.

I don't have this issue with any WiFi networks saved on my N9. It switches flawlessly between WiFi and mobile data.

The only issue I had a while ago was that I couldn't get it to connect to my D-Link dir-655. The default encryption setting was set to WPA-auto (which I think means it can automatically handle either WPA or WPA2 connections). The N9 could never connect to the router in this config so I set it to WPA2 only and haven't had an issue since.

okay so I've just got home and have tried giving my N9 a static IP, as well as manually configuring the DNS server.

Unfortunately no luck

Ive tried all forms of encryption available on my Billion router and even without any security at all...

i have also reproduced this issue on a Netgear router this afternoon as well. (although it was set to "n" so i will try again tomorrow and ask the owner to change it to g/n)

Sigh, my n9 is actually giving me the "somethings wrong.." error message as i type this. guess ill have to keep praying to the Finnish gods that ill one day see a fix.

Originally Posted by DisCorD View Post
okay so I've just got home and have tried giving my N9 a static IP, as well as manually configuring the DNS server.

Unfortunately no luck

Ive tried all forms of encryption available on my Billion router and even without any security at all...

i have also reproduced this issue on a Netgear router this afternoon as well. (although it was set to "n" so i will try again tomorrow and ask the owner to change it to g/n)

Sigh, my n9 is actually giving me the "somethings wrong.." error message as i type this. guess ill have to keep praying to the Finnish gods that ill one day see a fix.
Don't give up! You have to struggle with it until you beat it. It's not normal behaviour for an N9. Does your N9 do the same on other networks? Have you tried "Restore Settings" or "Clear Device?" At the last resort flash PR1.3 again?

Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Don't give up! You have to struggle with it until you beat it. It's not normal behaviour for an N9. Does your N9 do the same on other networks? Have you tried "Restore Settings" or "Clear Device?" At the last resort flash PR1.3 again?
:P thanks! i honestly love my N9, so ill persist as long as i possibly can
I have indeed experienced the same bug on 3 different networks now. But i am beginning to think it is an issue with the router... let me explain why.

After i reproduce the error message: "there is a problem with the network connection" by taking my N9 out of range and then back into range....i restart my N9. after reboot, the error remains!

the only way to remove the error is by restarting the router...

i have reset factory settings and reflashed all firmwares in the past.
im still wondering why it seems like Matt and i are the only people experiencing this