Active Topics

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I do not want to be overly negative, but reading this on Kickstarter

Feel the best tactile typing experience possible with this full-sized hardware keyboard Other Half for your Jolla smartphone.
and then reading the actual experiences on TMO, I wonder - how come these devices passed the QA check?

I don't mind further delays for the keyboard, as long as it is working as it should. I remember reading user reviews for TOHKBD1 back in the day (and then I expressed some concerns about focusing on looks/thickness vs quality during the TOHKBD2 development) and this seems like v1.1 instead of v2.0 based on the first feedback

PS: By delays I mean even waiting for few more months, but then getting the advertised product.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-06-12 at 17:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
My tohkbd2 works pretty good, the y is a little bit hard, increasing delay avoids extra unwanted repetitions.
[edit: work fine after some usage]

Happy with its size and weight.
I have Sailfish OS 1.1.6/Aaslakkajärvi.
Liked the customable shortcuts for function keys in Tohkbd2 settings, to start applications.
Assume øæå will be fixed, not a big problem for me.
Very nice for native Jolla email and messaging clients.
Virtual keyboard shows on screen for terminal (and emacs), so far.

[edit: Solved, see reply below] Any quick fix, like a dummy small virtual keyboard?

Thanks.

Last edited by hhbbap; 2015-08-04 at 19:30. Reason: Changed behaviour over time.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Helsinki
The terminal menu that opens with the button in the upper right corner has VKB behavior. Off, fade, move.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PekkU For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by samik View Post
My scandic TOHKBD has also incorrect key mappings. no scandic letters. seems to me that it's on US layout.

can't change the layout as the option is grayed out in the settings app
Got response from Kimmo in which he said that switching keyboard layout option is waiting for support from Jolla

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to samik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by PekkU View Post
Did you put the Tohkbd cover in place already yesterday when the ambience was not yet available? Try to remove and re-install.
Yup, tried removing, rebooting and so forth many times.

I don't think that my phone recognises it all.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Yup, tried removing, rebooting and so forth many times.

I don't think that my phone recognises it all.
rauha: https://github.com/kimmoli/tohkbd2#i...h-mer-obs-repo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
rauha: https://github.com/kimmoli/tohkbd2#i...h-mer-obs-repo
Kiitos

Translation: That was finnish for saying that Kimmoli rules the seven seas and rescues kittens during his free time.

Written on my TOHKBD.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Mansester, FI
I didn't think of it at first, but the vkb appears to stay visible even when tohkbd is pulled out and being typed with. In settings the active keyboard does change to TOHKBD when I pull the keypad out, but that doesn't change the onscreen kbd in any way. Anyone else with such an issue? (in a way that's nice, though, since I'm having trouble finding a question mark from the layout )

edit: reboot fixed that, thanks PekkU!

Last edited by zagrim; 2015-06-13 at 07:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to zagrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Helsinki
Reboot made the VKB hide when TOKBD is open.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PekkU For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
Keyboard now fitted and operational. Phone feels fairly chunky, but I'll get used to it.

I had some issues with several of the keys being unresponsive at first, but after patiently pressing them for some time they all seem to work normally now.

I noticed the FN key area is not backlit up along with the rest of the keyboard, unless a key in that area is pressed. Is this intentional? It seems like a feature but I'm not sure why it would be.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aonsaithya For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd