Active Topics

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
My Gemini has a 128GB uSD with 32GB FAT32 partition (visible by Android 7.1, Debian, Sailfish) and the rest with Ext4 (visible by Debian and Sailfish).
Odd. I thought Android supported Ext4 as well. A few years back they wanted to remove it (why??) but public outcry changed their minds. Did they sneak this anti-feature back in, with a newer Android feature?

What's keeping me from ordering a device like the Gemini or GDP Pocket 2 is the apparent lack of an accurate point device, like a trackpoint or induction stylus. These device are more suitable to run desktop apps on occasion than smartphone, but hitting on-screen buttons with your fat fingers might be too cumbersome.
Or am I wrong on this, and is there a solution for this? (apart from linking up some external BT pointing device)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
I got a job to be able to buy one. After this I will only buy some needed parts to rebuild my desktop, no more major purchases after that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Odd. I thought Android supported Ext4 as well. A few years back they wanted to remove it (why??) but public outcry changed their minds. Did they sneak this anti-feature back in, with a newer Android feature?
Ext4 partition is recognized when mounting/using Termux with root. But the majority of Android apps don't see Ext4 partitions.
And ExFat is not included in Android 7.1 @ Gemini.

What's keeping me from ordering a device like the Gemini or GDP Pocket 2 is the apparent lack of an accurate point device, like a trackpoint or induction stylus. These device are more suitable to run desktop apps on occasion than smartphone, but hitting on-screen buttons with your fat fingers might be too cumbersome.
Or am I wrong on this, and is there a solution for this? (apart from linking up some external BT pointing device)
On Debian there's this solution :
Touchscreen as touchpad - relative mouse input
that works very well, all the 6" inch screen is a large touchpad, with some gestures working as right mouse click, etc.

And USB-C->USB-A cable with USB mouse works very well on Android 7.1 and Debian @ Gemini.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

The Adonit jot dash and Adonit Snap both work with the Gemini PDA and provide precise input. Not sure about the GPD Pocket 2.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
The Adonit jot dash and Adonit Snap both work with the Gemini PDA and provide precise input. Not sure about the GPD Pocket 2.
That made me interested. Do they work by affecting screen electrostatic field as if touched by a finger? Quick search tells so, but they also have Bluetooth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
After using Arch for years without a reinstall, I switched shortly after they dropped 32bit (another reason for looking to replace the Eee) to Debian Sid. After going Original (Xandros based), Fedora, Debian, Arch and now Sid over the years, I'm quite liking Debian so that would probably be the direction I'd take.

Might have to look into 3G/4G progress/patches before making a decision

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
That made me interested. Do they work by affecting screen electrostatic field as if touched by a finger? Quick search tells so, but they also have Bluetooth.
I do believe they are capacitive and electrostatic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
The Pocket 2 does have a small optical mouse sensors.

https://youtu.be/abGuaHe1w-E

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
The Pocket 2 does have a small optical mouse sensors.
Wrong thread?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Wrong thread?
It was in response to this
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...64#post1547264

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post: