Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
chiming in. I had a few hickups after this last update but they appear to have fixed themselves (Alarm and Mail checking). I haven't touched my laptop in 48 hours since I can do everything from the 800. I'm about to set up a sync with gCalendar and iCal which is going to make the N800 even that more usefull. Honestly, if it made cellular calls I'd dump my cell phone get Gizmo credits and be done with it.
What do you mean about gizmo and cell calls? If N800 made cell calls you would not need gizmo. But if you want gizmo to call land lines or cell phones via internet you can do it now (look into grandcentral.com) for free until grandcentral leaves beta state.

If you need help let me know.

The issue of cell calls is that I'd like to use either or depending on network availability. I know Gizmo can call land lines, I simply refuse to pay another party for the capability and still carry around another device. That may not be the case for anyone else. Anyway I use Gizmo enough to garner All Calls Free status. ;-)

I agree. n800 is pretty much made my laptop obsolete for home leisure use. No real problems except after usb file transfer. Most of the time I have to take card out and restart n800. I might find a way to prevent this though. Pretty sure it's a matter of access sequence after data has been transfered. I wonder if this has been reported to bugzilla.

Never had any trouble after usb file transfer. I'm using linux on the latop I use for this, in case it matters. Could it be that your computer didn't unmount the N800? I know Windows has this 'safe to remove USB now' thingy, which presumably does just that.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by distguitar View Post
I agree. n800 is pretty much made my laptop obsolete for home leisure use. No real problems except after usb file transfer. Most of the time I have to take card out and restart n800. I might find a way to prevent this though. Pretty sure it's a matter of access sequence after data has been transfered. I wonder if this has been reported to bugzilla.
I've never had that USB problem that you mentioned, but I have noticed that sometimes my 8GB cards do not "refresh" correctly after the N800 wakes up from sleep. Files would be missing and the capacity would be 2 GB instead of 8GB. It might have been Canola, it's extremely slow at scanning the cards and rebuilding its database, which it seems to do in the background even while the app is not running. I uninstalled it and all seems good now that I reformatted the cards on the N800 itself.

Now I remember one thing I wanted to add as an upgrade in my original post of this thread - faster card access and refreshing in the media player apps. With thousands of songs on both cards, the default media player takes 10-15 seconds to pull up a list of artists, even longer to pull up the songs. Maybe Nokia can add in some type of caching feature so this is more instantaneous, like just about all other devices have.

I love my n800 also, carry it with me everywhere, heck i use it when i have a 17"laptop and a desktop with a 24" on it in front of me.. i love it... the firmware was a improvement allaround.. nokia shoul keep it up. Esecially if there is a new device comming out.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
I just have to chime in here to agree with the original poster. I am *loving* this! O there are many out there who want more of course, an who doesn't, but consider how far we've come! Some have short memories because they are so young but I remember punch cards, and damn if this isn't some good s***!

Just last night I was reading news though Google reader, talking with a friend in Italy using Skype and rotating and resizing my photo collection using the newest version of Mirage! All at the same time! The other day I got a voice mail as I walked across campus, also reading the news and IMing with my son and wife at the same time!

So, by my count, here's what I can do (that I used to do on my laptop) on the N800 that I never dreamed possible on a device this small even a year ago:

*Check my email: Minimo and Google mail (plain html)
*Read the news: Minimo and Google reader work great!
*Check and update my calendar: using Erminig, my Google and GPE calendars are synced!
*Look at, crop, rotate and resize photos: Mirage!
*Talk with anyone on any phone anywhere for cheap (ok I need wifi, but it's almost ubiquitous): Skype!!
*Enter inventory data directly into a spreadsheet: Gnumeric rocks!
*Access all my photos, videos, recorded tv and documents online:
Orb (latest update seems to have solved most of the speed issues)
*Convert my favorite videos to watch when waiting for something: MediaConverter!
*Watch videos: Canola
*Create my own themes: ThemeMaker!
*Listen to the radio/podcasts: FMRadio Tuner
*Make voices notes/reminders: Maemo recoder
*Read e-books: FBReader
*Read (I mean really read, not like on a Blackberry) PDF's and Word Docs:Maemo PDF viewer (or Evince) and Doc Reader (with antiword)
*Stream photos, videos and recorded tv from my pc directly to my N800: MediaStreamer/Orb
*Look at Google maps/satellite images and (when I get my bluetooth gps) navigate: MaemoMapper!
So, this list doesn't include games, or the periodic table, or the camera, or the graphing program because I don't use these apps (much), but it could.

I know, this is like preaching to choir, but to me, this list is amazing! Nothing else out there can do all this, and likely nothing will till Nokia comes out with the N850. Kudos to the Nokia team, for both having the vision and for bringing it to market. What it lacks in hype it more than makes up for in functionality.

And kudos too to all the software developers, who make this possible!
Thanks for spending the time and effort to create the apps that make my life better!

peace!

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Great Post.

Don't forget Quiver Photo Viewer for enjoying your photos and letting your friends enjoy them too. Just set it to Full Screen/Slide Show and pass the N800 around.
http://downloads.maemo.org/product/quiver/
http://mike.yi.org/projects/quiver/
http://mike.yi.org/projects/quiver/wiki/QuiverForMaemo

Remember the old days when we had our photographs printed so when friends came round we would hand them our snaps? Now our digital photos reside on our computers and who wants to sit round a computer with friends?

Quiver on the N800 combines that old fashioned sociability with digital convenience.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Never had any trouble after usb file transfer. I'm using linux on the latop I use for this, in case it matters. Could it be that your computer didn't unmount the N800? I know Windows has this 'safe to remove USB now' thingy, which presumably does just that.
I always do a safe remove before unplugging it. Never had this problem on a previous firmware with patched kernel.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I have a doubt here.... does the video converter work on the n800? i ve been using it on my pc...but does it work on the n800 also??