Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
New hardware means new firmware. New firmware means two versions of the firmware, one with WiMax support and one without.

Unless Nokia does something smart...

Ton.
You guys would do well to remember something very important: Ari Jakksi did avow that they had learned lessons from the poor transition from 770 to N800. Nokia has also made it clear that platforming and hardware abstraction make the most business sense.

Don't dwell on fatalistic visions. Nokia has no desire to alienate most owners or future purchasers. You can't please everyone, of course, but the goal remains to please as many as possible going forward. Broad application of firmware would be a key factor, no?

EDIT: Oh, and the announcement of a new "minor" variant (N801 or what have you) IS great news. It means Nokia is still in the tablet business. Every new variant solidifies that.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-08-08 at 12:50.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Oh, and the announcement of a new "minor" variant (N801 or what have you) IS great news. It means Nokia is still in the tablet business. Every new variant solidifies that.
No, don't take me wrong. Any new N900-or-whatever where video is working for movie recording and Skype video calling, mozilla is final, flash is fast, bluetooth supports headsets and a decent Google or Microsoft compatible PIM is a no-brainer purchase for me. 4 months old N800 or no 4 months old N800.

Ton.

Oh, then you won't mind being patient for a while.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I just love the assumptions, to wit:

[sarcasm] no, they're gonna have every N800 tablet owner send his device in to have a wimax chip soldered in [/sarcasm]

But... but... The WiMax chip is already in the N800, no?

I'm just going by the official statements... and the silliness of the "no new hardware" comment.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
If you find a wimax chip in your n800, I think it means you get to take a trip to visit Nokia's magical communications device factory, and all the other kids who get to go with you because they found wimax chips too will all have some very obvious problem which will eventually lead to their comedic demise during some point along the tour, which will be immediately followed by a gaggle of violently-colored Nokia slave midgets singing a song about it which will be so good that you'll never quite be able to shake the feeling that they had rehersed it several times beforehand.

bwahahhahahaha!!!!

Firebird, I like your style. Glad you joined.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
lol, thanks, glad someone appriciated that. But in all seriousness, I'm trying to figure out how I feel about a 4g n800. I'm a bit confused by it to be honest. While I'm not sure how true this is, the artical made the point that the n800's hardware can't really take advantage of data transfers at over 1mbs. Also, while it's been a while since I read up on wimax, it has been a crappy trend that every new generation of mobile broadband becomes more battery intensive than the last. I have 3g disabled on my blackjack and keep it on edge unless I need to use data just because it really does make quite a difference in battery life, that leaves me feeling like 4g would slaughter a battery, and while internet tablets don't have horrible battery life, they don't need to lose any more of it. But back to the data speed thing. Given the assumption that speeds over 1mbs arnt going to be taken advantage of too well on a n800 due to hardware, it would make a ton more sense to use evdo rev a. for the thing, since evdo is closer to that 1mbs speed mark without being overkill, plus evdo is pretty widespread, especially in comparison to wimax which hasn't even been rolled out yet. And won't be rolled out in even a little place called New York City untill much later in the game. I think there is a bit of a game being played here. I think Sprint and Nokia are in some sort of thing to put wimax in the tablet to almost justify a rollout of wimax. I'm sure a subsidized price on the n800 would move a lot more units too.

What's wrong with a BT WiMax device?

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Oh, then you won't mind being patient for a while.

I don't. Because my money savings don't go this fast. Thanks for making me believe that the N800 is going to stay for a while longer.

Ton.