Posts: 45 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ South Florida
Hello,

So I have been using an N900 for a review on our site for the last week or so, but it has some serious bugs (I posted in the Issues, Please, etc. topic Thread in this same topic if you are curious as to the extent of the issues). I wanted to basically hard reset the device back to our of box state to see if I could fix these issues (before I send the device in). BUT when I format the N900 internal storage (using the built in File Manager) and THEN FLASH the device using the Nokia Software Updater. My contacts and files from old apps that were uninstalled STILL remain in the phone.

Does anyone know how to completely erase the phone and get back to out of box? Is there certain folders I should erase (maybe using one of the more robust file managers in the repositories) before I flash so I can assure a complete wipe?

Thanks guys!

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
So when you go to Settings, and then choose the only available option in the menu ("Restore default settings" or something like this), it doesn't erase the accounts?

If that doesn't cut it you can obviously re-flash using the FIASCO image and the command line flasher-3.5 tool.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
So when you go to Settings, and then choose the only available option in the menu ("Restore default settings" or something like this), it doesn't erase the accounts?

If that doesn't cut it you can obviously re-flash using the FIASCO image and the command line flasher-3.5 tool.
The manual states that resetting options keeps user's data.

Manually deleting directories with personal data should do it, but I guess reflashing as suggested above would be best.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
I'll try the Fiasco image etc probably, but out of curiousity where does Maemo 5 save all the contact info and app data (its not just my conacts etc its the fact that uninstalled apps data is still hanging out too)?

Contact info could be coming from the SIM card? The app data is probably being stored in the 2 GB /opt or the /root partition.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

It keeps some of this stuff in SQLite database(s), it's better to re-flash it anyway if you want to get to factory level of clean.

However, you can easily remove the accounts, contacts and conversations from the UI if this is the only concern.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Contact info could be coming from the SIM card? The app data is probably being stored in the 2 GB /opt or the /root partition.
Not coming from the SIM. It even still has their caller id images and multiple numbers per contact which indicates the phones memory (and there are people who arent on the SIM still there too).

And are those directories safe to wipe clean without effecting the rest of Maemo?

Originally Posted by TheUnlockr.com View Post
Not coming from the SIM. It even still has their caller id images and multiple numbers per contact which indicates the phones memory (and there are people who arent on the SIM still there too).

And are those directories safe to wipe clean without effecting the rest of Maemo?
You want to wipe the root partition? Don't, you'll brick your device. Just re-flash and be done with it.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
open xterm and type:
rm -r /home/user/.*
and press enter. Say bye bye to your contacts, calendar entries, application settings, configs and so forth.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by konttori View Post
open xterm and type:
rm -r /home/user/.*
and press enter. Say bye bye to your contacts, calendar entries, application settings, configs and so forth.
arent they kept in the trashbin? Anyway you could always restore them using restore software. They are not gone 4ever

Tags
old thread