Posts: 22 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ France
Hi all,

The original charger of my N9 got damaged during a trip in India. I left it plugged when there were power cuts, after a few weeks it stopped working. So I bought a new official one in India, but we don't use the same electric plugs in France and I can't use it anymore since I'm back. Buying an adapter for the plug or a new charger was the same price, so I bought a universal charger (see specifications here).

But when I want to charge the phone with it, it is detected as a computer, and I get a notification that there is not enough power to charge the battery. I looked on the forum and it seems that this problem happened to some people with a car charger (see this thread). It seems the problem comes from the charger itself in this thread. The N9 is not listed in the models compatible with my charger, but N9 was never officially sold in France and the Lumia 800 is in the list, as well as most smartphones.

If I run "lshal -m", I get this after plugging the phone :
Code:
Start monitoring devicelist:

-------------------------------------------------

23:58:32.041: computer_power_supply_battery_usb property battery.charge_level.percentage = 0 (0x0) (new)

23:58:32.135: computer_power_supply_battery_usb property battery.charge_level.rate = 0 (0x0) (new)

23:58:32.207: computer_power_supply_battery_usb property battery.charge_level.design = 0 (0x0) (new)

23:58:32.249: computer_power_supply_battery_usb property battery.charge_level.last_full = 0 (0x0) (new)

23:58:32.290: computer_power_supply_battery_usb property battery.charge_level.current = 0 (0x0) (new)

23:58:32.317: computer_power_supply_battery_usb property battery.reporting.rate = 0 (0x0) (new)

23:58:32.357: computer_power_supply_battery_usb property battery.present = true

23:58:32.378: bme property battery.rechargeable.is_discharging = false

23:58:32.387: bme property battery.rechargeable.is_charging = true

23:58:32.396: bme property battery.charge_level.capacity_state = 'full'

23:58:32.419: bme property maemo.rechargeable.charging_status = 'on'

23:58:32.423: bme property maemo.charger.connection_status = 'connected'

23:58:32.452: bme property maemo.charger.type = 'host 100 mA'
For now there are no problem charging the phone by plugging it into my laptop, but I don't carry around my laptop all the time. Unfortunately, I don't have any other compatible charger around to test it with, I always used the official Nokia one before.

Does anyone has a suggestion on what to do ? Is it a problem with the brand new charger or with the N9 ?

Thanks for your help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AGui For This Useful Post:
It sounds like the charger itself tbh, universal chargers can vary in electrical currents. If it helps, the Nokia n900 charger works with the n9

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-11-04 at 23:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ culpeper,va.
Samsung with nokia cable works for me or Blackberrys.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geektech For This Useful Post:
i have no problem with samsung's microusb charger on N9, sony ecrisson charger on N9

i believe india and france have different voltage-down current, please check your usual equiments plug with the charger specification

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ France
Thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other device with a USB charger, so I can't test my N9 with another charger or the charger with another device. I only have a wireless mouse which is charging alright with the charger. I'll ask a friend to test with another charger.

I bought my N9 on a French website. The new charger has the exact same specifications as the two official Nokia ones I have (a broken one with a French plug, and working one with an Indian plug): Input AC 100-240 V 50-60 Hz 0,15 A. Output DC 5V 1A. In France, we use 220V-50Hz, if I remember correctly, it is 230V-60Hz in India, but both are in the compatibility range. Only the plug is different, the inside of the charger must be the same all around the world.

Code:
bme property maemo.charger.type = 'host 100 mA'
This means that the charger is detected as a computer and that it doesn't want to take more than 100 mA, right ? So this could also be a software problem, no ? No way to bypass this security with another command ?

Hello, now i have the same problem with you. i used the strange usb to connect n9 via usb but cannot recognize. Then my phone out of battery and shut down. I come charge it via AC power but it detected as a computer And it is charged too slow, over night but only 50% and also cannot connect with my laptop anymore