Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yes, the trademark guidelines (much like the Intro) are outdated.
Citation needed.

It's fine for the intro to be out-of-date, that's just embarassing. Trademark guidelines out-of-date is much more worrying, and this is the first I've heard of a "maemo.org trademark".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
A merchandising shop is a great idea. I know the owner of maemostore.com and maemoonline.com and can ask him if he is interested!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigMaemo78 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by BigMaemo78 View Post
A merchandising shop is a great idea. I know the owner of maemostore.com and maemoonline.com and can ask him if he is interested!
Better watch out for the trademark violation, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Citation needed.

It's fine for the intro to be out-of-date, that's just embarassing. Trademark guidelines out-of-date is much more worrying, and this is the first I've heard of a "maemo.org trademark".
The trademark guidelines seem to stipulate that Nokia owns the maemo.org trademark, which is clearly not the case. maemo.org certainly isn't registered, but there are usage guidelines to follow when using its logo they're just the ones outlined on that page.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The trademark guidelines seem to stipulate that Nokia owns the maemo.org trademark, which is clearly not the case. maemo.org certainly isn't registered, but there are usage guidelines to follow when using its logo they're just the ones outlined on that page.
As I see it, "maemo.org" has still the "Maemo" trademark embedded. In practice, the Maemo community can make the use they wish of the "maemo.org" "brand" since it's the legitimate "owner". The fact that Nokia keeps the "Maemo" trademark even embedded in "maemo.org" could prevent abuse or misuse by other parties.

In the day to day this more or less means that whatever is done with the maemo.org brand and approved by (or not against) the community council is OK, without needing to check anything from Nokia.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I personally want to get this moving forward from talk to action.

After the Maemo Summit 2009, which had custom swag created as one would expect, we suddenly see new, smaller events in Denmark, Spain and the US. Belgium (FOSDEM) will be on us in no time. Also I am slated to represent Maemo to a group of open source developers in Dallas in a few weeks. I naturally expect more to follow, increasingly so.

I realize there's too little time to do something for imminent events, but we really, really need some sort of Maemo and/or maemo.org branded swag for meetups.

I have attended S60 and general mobility meetups where companies like Adobe had shirts, caps and knick-knack items to hand out-- all branded. To increase Maemo adoption momentum, and start drawing developers from other platforms, we need the same sort of presence and seeding activity.

I am perfectly willing to be the voluntary Maemo advocate for Texas and will attend every open source event I can to spread the word. I can effectively cover north Texas and Austin as well, with occasional Houston and/or San Antonio forays. BUT-- I'm gonna need branded items and flyers (I can create the latter).

So... how do we get the matter of Maemo/maemo.org swag out of the virtual mud?

And yes, I understand this gets into Nokia budget territory...

Related LinkedIn discussion: http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers...%2Eanh_2397591

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-18 at 21:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Got an answer from Quim, and I will put this before the council.

Brainstorm topic updated: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=358341

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-11-19 at 16:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
I really want a Maemo sticker like Tim has on his macbook, I also want t-shirt and zip up hoodie.

Let's get this shop up and running.

Here's my suggestion: Do a poll to see how many people would be interested in purchasing Maemo Gear ( MG ), and that should give you a good base figure if it's worth it to move forward. If it's high enough, start off small--one design t-shirts, and stickers, and order low in stock. If they sell out and you get back orders, fill those backorders, then start slowly expanding via different products and different designs.

Also why couldn't you get some support from Nokia? In exchange for them giving you guys the start up costs, they get a percentage of all Maemo sales, and thus this would allow you guys to create designs which would include Nokia trademarks.

Just an idea, but it's where to start...also someone should put a business plan together, if guys decide to seek outside financing for the start up costs.

-Socrates 469 BC

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spinnukur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I know it's a very old, practically dead thread...

I am wondering if anybody would be interested in designing/buying Maemo.org shoes. I have tried to make a mock-up in https://www.aliveshoes.com/ , they have a variety of shapes available, mostly in leather (next to no canvas), free shipping to USA/UK/Europe. I am not sure if the colours are right (I tried to reflect colours of maemo.org website), and whether the shape is any good.

https://ibin.co/4i2m1O1hOedK.png

Each pair of shoes would cost about £149 . Free returns within 30 days (including free return shipping from anywhere in the world?), as long as shoes are not worn.

For shoes to go into production/manufacturing, there would have to be seven orders within 30 days after launch. If seven orders are not reached, shoes are not manufactured - and all money is immediately returned back to those who placed orders.

Anybody interested? In buying/designing, choosing colours, logos and so on?

Thank you. Best wishes,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

[Edit] Screenshot of design web-page https://ibin.co/4i2teOfRIAos.png [/Edit]
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I know it's a very old, practically dead thread...

I could probably use a Maemo mug or some such, but I'm not really into branded apparels.
To each their own, obviously

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post: