Notices

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing

This is quickly done and I would have like to modified the gui a bit but it uses glade which I can't do nothing with (well, I can't do much with much else but you get the point...)

If you value battery life, you probably don't want this. It wakes up the screen and uses a lot of cpu.

If you want to install it, get the *.deb files from http://qwerty12.maemobox.org/xscreensaver/ and use dpkg -i.

Namely:
xscreensaver_5.07-1_armel.deb
xscreensaver-data_5.07-1_armel.deb
xscreensaver-data-extra_5.07-1_armel.deb

If you want to be able to see the settings window properly, install:
wmctrl_1.07-6_armel.deb

You may need to install libxxf86vm1_1.0.2-1_armel.deb as xscreensaver depends on it.

Post 6 contains a daemon that will automatically start and stop xscreensaver if your charger is plugged in and not plugged in respectively.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-01-05 at 18:33.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Is there a way to start/stop xscreensaver when charger is connected/disconnected?
I know about powerlaunch but I don't like it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bongo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
hell yes.. starting it when charger is plugged in, and stopping it when the tablet is fully charged would be great... (but still have the possibility to quit it...)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I should be able to do that . I would like to fix some annoying things though like all the screensaver modules showing in the menu...

Ok, I've uploaded new xscreensaver packages. I cleaned them out so the screensavers that do not work were removed and some other cleanups.

Do an apt-get remove --purge xscreensaver* ; rm /home/user/.xscreensaver and install the new debs from the same link.

PS on the charger front, I cannibalized derf's acmonitor and it works somewhat but not properly for me to release anything yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Faheem, you're a hero. I was thinking about compiling this the other day, but I packed that thought away quick -- I was sure it would be way too much hassle for me.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
(preface: this isn't a slam against you, qwerty12, you're excellent in every way )

Funny! This installed as part of Ubuntu LXDE for me, and while some of the effects are nice (I like the waterdrops) I was thinking as I disabled it, "What a silly thing to ever put on a tablet!" Screensavers haven't been useful for their primary purpose ("saving" your screen) since LCDs replaced CRTs on most people's desktops. They can be useful for locking your station (that's what my office uses xscreensaver for), but on a tablet, the whole concept runs counter to the philosophy of the tablets, which is all about saving power by killing the screen and the cpu whenever possible.

I haven't been able to get acmonitor to work for me for the last two SSUs. But if you could get it working again, perhaps you could modify the concept for me so that I could run a user-selected app when plugged into AC. So rather than fancy effects or silly fortunes, I'd like to see a flip clock or a slide show or maybe a slide show with a clock in the corner... something useful, anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Looks like I'm not the only one. Anyone know how to use the info in that thread to make what I want?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I haven't been able to get acmonitor to work for me for the last two SSUs. But if you could get it working again, perhaps you could modify the concept for me so that I could run a user-selected app when plugged into AC. So rather than fancy effects or silly fortunes, I'd like to see a flip clock or a slide show or maybe a slide show with a clock in the corner... something useful, anyway.
Exactly what I was thinking, either for slide shows, or simply serving as a (more interesting) techno-nightlight so I can find it at night without turning the light on (xmatrix, phosphor & (fortune|top), and substrate should serve nicely, at least).

But xscreensaver can actually run any program (no concept-modification involved!), so something like mclock, ciroip's flip clock, or xdaliclock could all work nicely. It should be easy enough even to rig a script that runs, e.g., xv and xdaliclock -transparent for clock+slideshow, but matchbox has the potential to be very much a pain here...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
(preface: this isn't a slam against you, qwerty12, you're excellent in every way )

Funny! This installed as part of Ubuntu LXDE for me, and while some of the effects are nice (I like the waterdrops) I was thinking as I disabled it, "What a silly thing to ever put on a tablet!" Screensavers haven't been useful for their primary purpose ("saving" your screen) since LCDs replaced CRTs on most people's desktops. They can be useful for locking your station (that's what my office uses xscreensaver for), but on a tablet, the whole concept runs counter to the philosophy of the tablets, which is all about saving power by killing the screen and the cpu whenever possible.

I'm more about the effects if I'm being honest, I think it's kinda cool to be watching SpeedMine if you're not doing nothing and your tablet is there :P .

I'm actually running acmonitor on the latest SSU atm, but I don't think you'd call my method user selectable...
(I added system() calls to run a script that starts/kills xscreensaver to where it detects if the charger is plugged in or on battery...)