Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg

Hollywood is at it again. Its latest ploy to take over the Web? Use its influence at the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) to weave Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) into HTML5 — in other words, into the very fabric of the Web. Millions of Internet users came together to defeat SOPA/PIPA, but now Big Media moguls are going through non-governmental channels to try to sneak digital restrictions into every interaction we have online. Giants like Netflix, Google, Microsoft, and the BBC are all rallying behind this disastrous proposal, which flies in the face of the W3C's mission to "lead the World Wide Web to its full potential."

The petition is held by DefectiveByDesign.org, a campaign of the Free Software Foundation. Read more and sign here: http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5
10.000 people have already signed this petition to stop DRM in HTML5. Join them and help build momentum to reach 50,000 signers by May 3rd, 2013, the International Day Against DRM.
Current Maemo Community Council member

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
It's LOCKED! It's a done deal!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
C'mon guys, show some love for an open web standard!
Just 10 day left, sign now.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
C'mon guys, show some love for an open web standard!
Just 10 day left, sign now.
Signed only today, because I hadn't seen anything about it at all on TMO.

Signed up. Only found out here, nowhere else. Are the "rich bich" trying to slip this from the behind?

I'm flattered

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Been meaning to reply to this thread... I signed up too and on 4th May got a reply with a link to a website with pictures of how they delivered the signed petition.

My first reaction on reading the email and then visiting the website was oh my god, and they expect anyone to take them seriously? What a shame they wasted my signature on pointless theatrical show like that. Guess once whose petition I am never going to sign again.

Well, at least they do something instead of watching this development with uneasiness but staying passive.
Of course they can't simply stop W3C by a petition, their approch is to put some buzz and noise on this topic in general and hopefully in the media.
Our signatures were not pointless, they just haven't been enough to be impressive.

I didn't say our signatures were pointless. I said wasted. Had they treated them seriously they might even have been noticed but this... The target audience will see them as clowns

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Actually... no.

As I see it, you fight Hollywood with Hollywood tactics. This actually migth be the way to get noticed there.

That statement on its own is disputable at best. How would you react if somebody asked something from you by mocking you?

But even more importantly, they are barking up the wrong tree. Hollywood is not the target audience. W3C is.