Active Topics

On our very first podcast, Thoughtfix, Jonathan Greene, and I have talked about our Internet Tablet connectivity preferences. We would like to hear everyone's thoughts on this matter. Do you ultimately prefer your tablet to be an "always on", always connected, auto-bluetooth/WiFi switching device so you can immediately be alerted of any incoming email, messages, IM/VoIP calls or would you rather prefer the tablet be an "always available", connect-on-demand device, connecting and retrieving data only when you manually ask it to. Or may be you have other thoughts on this matter... Please vote on the poll below: {democracy:1}
Read the full article.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
Hey guys good podcast - keep it up.

On the always on vs always available thing. It's pretty even right now but I reckon if it were possible to have a realistic battery life (like at least a whole working day) then the vote would be nigh on all towards always on.

But right now there is the trade off to be made and for most people I guess recharging during the day is too much of a pain to warrant always on.

At least it is for me.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I use it always on, even though I don't have a phone to connect to. Just feels like that's how it's meant to be used.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Norway / Tromsų
What about having profile like on mobile phones. Like to have it always on and BT/WIFI on when connected to a powercord and some other options when on battery..
A bit also like the laptop. there I could choose time if the disk should turn off or my screen turn off..
Now there is not even setting to let the screen be on all the time is it?
--

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd prefer always on for IM's, etc. However with no cell phone and city-wide wifi that ain't free, always available is what I'm stuck with and how I voted.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
With the cost of data plans in Canada I have to opt for available, but not always on.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, USA
I normally always leave mine on, but when in transit I lower the brightness and turn it offline. I find that allows it to be used for at least a day or more. When I go online, I BT tether at work and use wifi at home or where ever it is openly available.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
I leave mine always on. I plug it into the charger at night and have plenty of battery for the day. So far I've never encountered a problem and I love having it ready to go with the touch of a button!

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Always available for me.

My N800 is currently used for mail, PIM (with GPE) tracking overtime with gnumeric, notes with sketch and yellownotes, and writing with Notes and a BlueTooth keyboard. This on top of regular surfing and keeping up wit RSS feeds. Oh, and I frequently use it to play media and the radio. So yeah, unless always on still worked for days between charge, I'll stick with always available.

Always on when/if there's wifi around. Always available when I'm on the move (no city wide wifi) because EDGE connection (no 3g/3.5g on my phone) sucks the phone battery dry. And phone connectivity is important.

On another note, I could charge my phone anywhere because almost everyone has a nokia phone. So old socket Nokia chargers are widely available in cafes and whatnot.