Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
Hi!

I'm using my N770 at home and at the office, and I'd like it to automatically connect to the proper available WIFI network depending from where I am. I explain:
- with my Apple Powerbook, when I'm the office, it automatically connects to MYWORK network and reconnects to MYHOME network when I'm back home, w/o having to change anything in its settings.
- with my N770, if I'm connected to MYWORK network when I'm at the office, I need to select "by hand" MYHOME network when I'm back home.
I've tried to set a default network but I need to choose between MYWORK and MYHOME, so if I choose MYWORK as default, this network will not be available at home, and the N770 will first try to connect to MYWORK then discovers that it can't reach it so prompts me with the list of available networks (including MYHOME).
Am I clear? Let me know if not ;-)

TIA for your help,
Laurent.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Yeah, that's the way it works for me also. It would be great to have an option to switch on/off auto-detection of networks that are listed in the connection settings. Maybe in the next update, or a reasonably small hack that allows this option.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ brooklyn
a wifi jumper hack is needed where it automatically searchs for open networks to connect to once it drops from a given network, so that you can effectively walk or drive around using the internet as long as there is an open network, or take the guess work out of selecting the one you want to connect to.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Nantes (France)
OK. Thank you for your help.
Wait & see until the next release

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Originally Posted by mediathreat
a wifi jumper hack is needed where it automatically searchs for open networks to connect to once it drops from a given network, so that you can effectively walk or drive around using the internet as long as there is an open network, or take the guess work out of selecting the one you want to connect to.
That would take all the fun out of mobile wardiving. Just kidding, it would be a cool hack to have.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
That's the way cell phone networks maintain your connection, of course. It's also part of the latest wireless networking technology specifications. Without researching it I'm going to guess it's in the 3rd part of the WiMax spec just adopted. 802.11n, mebbe? Whatever. This step is about to happen and it will turn our portable devices into mobile devices. All we have to do is wait because it is definitely happening. We can be glad that Nokia, a cell phone company, is the 770's manufacturer because as the 770 gains VOIP (by June, I believe) the distinction between a portable device and a mobile one becomes critical.

There isn't really any disagreement about the standards coming in the next generation of wireless networking performance and devices. There is, however, a big disagreement in the standards in the next generation of ultra wide band. Freescale (formerly known as Motorola Semiconductor) on one side and the WiMedia group on the other. The market will decide that one.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ OregonUSA
Switching seamlessly enough to maintain a voip connection is a standards thing. Taking a few seconds to automatically switch between MYWORK and MYHOME should be a minor scripting hack.

mine once popup up and asked me which network to connect to when the default wasn't found. no idea how I got it to that and it hasn't done it again

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
make the ssid and the key the same for both nets, home and office :-)
-i