There is a file callled gstcodecs.conf or something which you can edit for codecs. But your problem seems to be a stun issue. could you turn on the stun server in the advanced settings of voip. Maybe make it manual instead of automatic. You can put in any server you want from voip-info.org, but do try pinging it first.

hi all,
can anyone post link, where i can download apps to install action voip or can anyone help me say how to install it.

thank you

Originally Posted by jitusj View Post
Please help me configuring Action VOIP on Nokia N900.

Here is the configuration mentioned on their website

Software configuration

General
SIP port : 5060
Registrar : sip.actionvoip.com
Proxy server : sip.actionvoip.com
Outbound proxy server : leave empty
Account name : your actionvoip username
Password : your actionvoip password
Display name/number : your actionvoip username or voipnumber
Stunserver (option) : stun.actionvoip.com

Codecs
G.711 (64 kbps)
G.726 (32 kbps)
G.729 (8 kbps)
G.723 (5.3 & 6.3 kbps)
GSMFR (13.2 kbps)

If you have audio problems:
Use a STUN server (e.g. stun.actionvoip.com) with port 3478 (if supported by your device)
Use the G.711 codec

P.S. There other similar voip services like Just VOIP, Free Call
Haii,

can you help me?

i have a account in voip( www.metrovoipcall.com) last three months i am trying to call thruh that. voip id is enabled but i cant eable to hear voice i have done all settings in that can u help me.

iam also facing this same problem. right now iam using metrovoip, i have done all sip setting. but not working. i thing i have also wasted money. last 7 months iam wating for Fring or Nimbuzzz .. if anybody know about this problem, plz inform me also

Originally Posted by jitusj View Post
Thanks for the reply. Actually I realized the problem was not with SIP setting. As VOIP blocked in my country (UAE), I was trying to login over VPN. Yesterday I came across post stating that SIP traffic does not route through VPN. Now I am in search for solution for this VPN bug.
Sip traffic does route over VPN, I have done it many times, whats important when using a VPN is to use a port that it is not blocked, port 443 is always open so it is perfect for ssl vpns.

Check out this site www.vpn3000.com that offers voip and VPN service.

I have used the voip service from vpn3000.com over gprs (not 3G) 2.5G using the codec iLBC and the sound was great, with G729 over gprs the quality was acceptable, and G711 does not work well for gprs, somehow the gsm codec does not seem to be working on the n900 standard sip client, gsm does work fine on n900 running asterisk.

Most of the time when voip is block it is just SIP, if you run asterisk on the n900 you can use IAX2, have the internal sip client connect to asterisk using SIP, and have asterisk make the connection to your voip provider using IAX2.

Also openvpn runs fine on the n900 and the blocking of voip calls can be bypassed very easily.

Originally Posted by ronyipa View Post
Haii,

can you help me?

i have a account in voip( www.metrovoipcall.com) last three months i am trying to call thruh that. voip id is enabled but i cant eable to hear voice i have done all settings in that can u help me.
That sound like a nat problem.

One way around the nat problem is to use a vpn.
The n900 can use openvpn, openvpn it is very easy to use, just a single config file from vpn3000.com.

for example:
#openvpn client.ovpn

Where client.ovpn is a file that has all the configuration to connect to the vpn server.

Another method is to use a sip proxy instead of the stun server.

Originally Posted by sharuz2000 View Post
Dear Rohid Thanks for your information. i have completed done as you said. but still i have voice problem when ever i make call from action voip i can hear their voice, but they cant hear my voice. and i couldnt find where i want enter codecs in nokia n900 . iam really frustated. earler i used N97 there is lot of supporting software like mobile voip & Nimbuzz i can made call from n97 crysytal clear voip call but n 900 not support anything. i think i wasting my money . please let me know what is solution for that?? how can i setup audio codec in n900? or is there any other supporting software?
The n900 is a great phone with very good sound quality, you just have to use the right codec depending on your connection.
For 2.5G, or 3G networks the best codec for the n900 is ilbc, the reason ilbc is not used very much on phones, is very cpu intensive, however the n900 works fine with this codec.

What you need to do is use a service provider that supports the codec ilbc, very few do that, most support g729 which is ok, but not the best for cellular networks due to the packet loss, and extremely few support the gsm codec.

Codec selection is critical for good voice quality under bad networks, if the network was perfect you would always use g711u or g771a.

ilbc uses almost the same bandwith as g729, however it works better than g729 when there is packet loss on the network, in a good network they are both very similar.

if you need to use ilbc code for your n900 check out www.vpn3000.com, there are no monthly fees and to try it out is free of charge.

Dear All,
I tried to put the SIP settings into my phone and access my company wifi but it get connect but no voice, don't know exact reason may be my firewall but all port is open dont know if VOIP is blocked from ISP.
so after that i keep searching and finally i got solution to access actionvoip on your N900 use fring messenger and login and go to add on and select SIP and put actionvoip settings and then go to dial pad and start calling..

Regards,
Huzefa M Sultan

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Joseon
do someone knows if there is any plugin for VoIP to announce me when a buddy gets online/offline? Like "Pounces" from Pidgin Chat app. ?