Active Topics

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
I also have this problem, is there a fix somewhere? Drive keep looking for satellites and gps meefo show the No.satellite in view message. Maps is able to quickly show the info it got from wifi/cellular but gps.never get a fix as it blinks non stop in the statusbar.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
I also have this problem, is there a fix somewhere? Drive keep looking for satellites and gps meefo show the No.satellite in view message. Maps is able to quickly show the info it got from wifi/cellular but gps.never get a fix as it blinks non stop in the statusbar.
Hi Kozzi, you could check the second post in this thread to see if your GPS problems are similar than I do. At least it sounds like that.

Could you also check your syslog, as instructed in the aforementioned post, if you can see a lots of the following error messages sometimes (but not always!!) when you are trying to get the GPS working:

nped[1537]: i2c_write: Remote I/O error

Getting one line each time the GPS chip is powered on is normal, though.

Originally Posted by Kallela View Post
Hi Kozzi, you could check the second post in this thread to see if your GPS problems are similar than I do. At least it sounds like that.

Could you also check your syslog, as instructed in the aforementioned post, if you can see a lots of the following error messages sometimes (but not always!!) when you are trying to get the GPS working:

nped[1537]: i2c_write: Remote I/O error

Getting one line each time the GPS chip is powered on is normal, though.
I have tried the nped command and still couldn't get gps fix
I started the Gps meefo and then ran the cat /var/log/syslog but I don't see i2c error at all.

funny thing is my syslog has froze to January 6, 05:57:27, there is newer entry and this.

Last edited by Kozzi; 2012-02-10 at 14:47.

I got it fixed now after 2 times reinstalling firmware using NSU and one time using the flasher. I Have come to to a conclusion that resetting all settings and completely wipe off the device is the only solution. So if someone want to try flashing, I recommend:
- Use sync and backup to create profile backup on the phone
- copy important files to pc in mass mode
-- remember to include the .backup folder
- flash your phone (maybe not necessary but I did anyway)
- n9-settings-restore-factory settings, (or something) to clean everything off.
- copy files back
-- in the .backup folder, I removed applications and settings files. To make sure that only contact, bookmarks and messages are restored.
- Settings-Sync and Restore-Backups-Choose the one you made earlier-Restore
- Use Gps Meefo to check if it works.

Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
I got it fixed now after 2 times reinstalling firmware using NSU and one time using the flasher. I Have come to to a conclusion that resetting all settings and completely wipe off the device is the only solution.
Did that help permanently? I mean, GPS will now work properly every time (in reasonable conditions, of course) when you try it, not just for the fist time(s) after reflashing the device?

I have tried device erasing and reflashing, but that didn't help for me. GPS may work for the first time after rebooting, but then it won't work any more. Maybe I still try reflashing once again before taking my N9 to service..

Mine find satellites 9-12 of them but doesn't get a proper connection (Drive keep searching for satellite) before flashing it showed no satellites at all in the Gps meefo app. There was one case where I see nped using continuedly 15% of Cpu even though no Gps required task running, after reboot it goes away but also the satellites from meefo app. Luckily I did backup settings after reflashing so reverting back to this meefo show satellites again but still no connection (all bars empty). Seems like the drive option is useless for me till thw pr1.2 comes out, if it still won't work, then Nokia Care.

my syslog still doesn't want.to log things after flashing.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I would assume it is software rather than hardware. My Lumia 800 works great with NOKIA drive. Its a marvel how well it works, and I would think the hardware is not that different from N9

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Originally Posted by zappAtom View Post
I'll wait for 1.2 and if this occurs still I will file a bug. Beside Nokia Maps loading really slowly and this strange behavior with initial GPS fixes everything is fine with my N9 & GPS so far!
slow load has been filed in the bug teritory, but i dont think it will be fixed in pr1.2. I didnt get there on time, but i have filed a few maps bugs, the incorrect position reported was allready there and may ne fixed in 1.2.

Kallela: I didn't see a flood of i2c errors in syslog like you did (other than one when restarting the GPS), but I only had looked a couple of times since my last post. Did you see them every time you tried to use the GPS, or just occasionally?

I tried doing a complete wipe and reflash using the flasher tool, but that didn't help, so I've taken it back to Harvey Norman and am waiting for news.

Originally Posted by DarkStarSword View Post
Kallela: I didn't see a flood of i2c errors in syslog like you did (other than one when restarting the GPS), but I only had looked a couple of times since my last post. Did you see them every time you tried to use the GPS, or just occasionally?

I tried doing a complete wipe and reflash using the flasher tool, but that didn't help, so I've taken it back to Harvey Norman and am waiting for news.
It's actually quite rare to me as well to get that flood of i2c errors. Usually there is nothing suspicious in the syslog, even though the GPS is not working.

I have tried reflashing and erasing without success. Update to PR1.2 didn't help either, so I'm going to take my N9 to service too on next week. Hopefully they agree to replace the hardware!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kallela For This Useful Post: