after several days of using my N900...it starts to become sluggish...can't toggle between diff apps so fluid..etc...takes a while for the phone to come up...or the Messages application to come up?....then I shutdown the device...reboot..then its back working normally again?? any suggs to fix this.

thanks.

Chances are you have something installed that is eating memory. I haven't rebooted in 15 days and my device is still quite snappy.

Desktop widgets tend to be a large culprit, might want to look at what you have running.

I really dont have much...

weather widget
calender
touchsearch
media player

thats all

do bookmarks count as widgets?

is there an easy way to reflash maybe??

I've the same problem.

I reboot every morning with a reboot button in the power key menu.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_maemo_for_power_users

I've also the Foreca weather widget and calendar.
(...And many others)

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I'd bet the culprit is the weather widget. It's quite a pig. An easier way to see what's taking things up is to use conkey, or open a terminal and use top to see whats eating memory. (You can hit 'm' in top to show the top memory eaters vs cpu users.)

That should give you a better idea of what's causing it and maybe even give you a way to fix it. For example, I found a big pig for me was the browser, in particular after using flash. It's safe to kill that, as it will re-spawn when called on, and killing it often brings things back to a snappy performance for me.

My device routinely is up for weeks at a time, only rebooting when I need to due to updates or because the battery goes dead (or a dreaded sgx spin-lock, which is happening less often as I use the phone less for navigating.) Right now it's been up for 7 days and change and is running just fine.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
aggghhh don't spell CONKY wrong. but yeah, use that, see where your memory has gone. or if something is wasting cpu.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Install Swapolube and take it's default settings. I think the primary difference is due to swappiness decreasing from 100 to 30.

Frank

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
that's like taking tylenol for a gunshot wound.