Posts: 82 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bahía Blanca, Argentina
Hello again everybody!

Since the first day i got my N9 i feel kinda unconfortable if i use the standby screen. I mean, i don't like the clock always glowing 24/7, i feel like it is useless to me (i always wear a watch), and i think it will wear the pixels sooner than they should (remember that OLED diodes will last much less than the LCD technology), and also drain the battery a little bit quicker.

In the other hand, i find the "message received" / "missed call" icons in the standby screen really usefull, i've already responded late to a couple of messages thanks to not using this screen.

So, the question is, is there any way to set this screen on without showing the clock? I mean showing it totally black like when the setting is off, but showing the notification icons when something has happened.

Thanks guys,
Humberto

Last edited by Hambert; 2012-01-08 at 06:35.

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Should be possible...there is a tweak to change the standby clock color. Changing the clock color to black won't affect call/sms notifications (these are icons). See here - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...=standby+clock

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dsawhney For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dsawhney View Post
Should be possible...there is a tweak to change the standby clock color. Changing the clock color to black won't affect call/sms notifications (these are icons). See here - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...=standby+clock
Thank you so much!! I've been in that thread before, i don't know how i didn't realize i could do that, you're a genius!! Now my clock has gone, and the icons work perfectly.

I just changed the clock colour to #000000, so all three RGB subpixels are turned off, and since OLED diodes emit light on their own, thats like there's no screen work at all, even with the standby function activated.

Thanks again!

Regards

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
please do me a favor and look at your screen in a really really dark room. Does it emit any light? Mine, if I cover the clock with my hand, the rest of it emits a slight, really dim light. Which I really don't know what it is. I suppose it is some voltage required to pass through the TFT film under the LEDs and makes them shine a little. The question is does it glow when the screen is not off but all black?

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
please do me a favor and look at your screen in a really really dark room. Does it emit any light? Mine, if I cover the clock with my hand, the rest of it emits a slight, really dim light. Which I really don't know what it is. I suppose it is some voltage required to pass through the TFT film under the LEDs and makes them shine a little. The question is does it glow when the screen is not off but all black?
Hi again, i was going to comment that and i saw you already discovered it. Tonight after i did the mod i went to the bed with my room completely dark, and i did the test. With the clock black, you have no clue where it is in the screen, but a very very dim light can be seen all over the screen. If I turn off the standby screen option again, the screen goes completely neutral with no light at all.

So yes, there's a voltage source going through the screen, and maybe a little amount of power is consumed after all. I don't like that either, so i'm going to set the clock white again and leave it off. It would be awesome if someone could find the way of making the screen completely off until a message or call arrives.

EDIT: Maybe the white LED in the lower left corner of the screen could be used as a call/message reminder, just like the one in the 5800/5230, that would be interesting!

Thanks for the help!
Humberto

Last edited by Hambert; 2012-01-08 at 16:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hambert For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Hambert View Post
EDIT: Maybe the white LED in the lower left corner of the screen could be used as a call/message reminder, just like the one in the 5800/5230, that would be interesting!
Read this entire thread....
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4554
Also vote for the bug linked-to in there.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Read this entire thread....
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4554
Also vote for the bug linked-to in there.
I just voted for it! I'm not a developer or programmer so i can't understand all of the things said in there, but i do understand there's a restriction to do it in the open-source mode. Let's hope Nokia will hear us.

Regards!

1100 >> 3220 >> 5310 >> 5230 >> N9

The Following User Says Thank You to Hambert For This Useful Post: