Active Topics

I wonder if this is suspect:
grandcentral addon for firefox

I looked at it on my Windows PC. In the "Options" you set your account and password. I thought that would have risks, so I uninstalled instead of filling that in. GrandCentral Dialer just uses a cookie
I think.

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
I'm trying to figure out what you're asking...
Are you asking if GC Dialer is safe to use? The answer to that is yes, completely safe. First, GC Dialer doesn't store your username and password anywhere (so occasionally you'll need to enter the information again). Second, when you enter your username and password, it just stores a cookie.

This is the great thing about open source. Not sure if GC Dialer is safe? Just look in the source code!

When I tried to install the tip calulator I get a error message saying that I am missing some needed files "PYTHON 2.5, etc" where do I get these files from?

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
umm..

A) you're in the wrong thread.

B) you should be able to find what you're looking for through a quick search on these forums or on google

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
GC Dialer only stores cookie

GC Dialer will signon to GC for you by prompting for your information. Neither the username or password are kept.

Feel free to examine the code since it's python. /usr/local/bin/gc_dialer.py

The firefox extension is probably pure JavaScript, so you can check it's code as well.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
If you want to check out the source code do the following:

1) Download the add-on, it has a ".xpi" extension.

2) Rename the file to change the extension to ".zip"

3) Unzip the file. Open the "Chrome" folder.

4) Rename the ".jar" to ".zip" and unzip.

5) Open the "content" folder and the source is in "grandcentral.js"

I took a brief glance through it and it seems harmless.

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Last edited by josiahg777; 2008-07-02 at 19:22. Reason: Clarification of terms

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Wichita, KS
dmphzhopjrbffx,

josiahg777 is correct that the GrandCentral addon is completely harmless.

It asks for your login info so it can sign in to GrandCentral automatically without needing it again later. The settings you tell it and any other addon are stored in Firefox's built in configuration (about:config), and in the case of my addon, are not sent anywhere else.

I am working on a version that would read the necessary settings from Firefox's built in password manager and not need to ask you for it, but due to changes from Firefox 2 to 3 this is the route I chose for v0.1 to ensure it works for everyone.

A new version of the addon will be posted on my site this afternoon which will include the option to dial any number without having to click one.

Chad Smith

The Following User Says Thank You to chadsmith For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chadsmith View Post
I am working on a version that would read the necessary settings from Firefox's built in password manager and not need to ask you for it, but due to changes from Firefox 2 to 3 this is the route I chose for v0.1 to ensure it works for everyone.

A new version of the addon will be posted on my site this afternoon which will include the option to dial any number without having to click one.

Chad Smith
Can GrandCentral Click to Call Add-on for Firefox be converted to a GrandCentral Click to Call userscript for greasemonkey?
-Nokia Internet Tablets don't run Firefox

TIA.

Last edited by dkwatts; 2008-07-03 at 19:46.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Um, just use the native application?

I'm in the process of adding URI handling for things like TEL: links.

Thanks!

Chad, shall I change the thread title and delete my message or anything? I'll take a brief glance through the javascript as josiahg777 generously and independently did, and then I hope to use the addon. I think it would create tremendous convenience for every GrandCentral user.