Notices

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
it doesnt have to be picture. as long as it under 300kb
Why does it need to be capped under 300kb? I'm asking because a standard pic with N900 (5Mp) is easily >700kb. Any way to expand this option? Or is it standard MMS settings?

Ref the network modes Polite, Rude, Havoc; I can only operate fMMS when using 3G mobile internet service. Which network modes will allow fMMS to operate with WLAN? or standard phone service?

I'm really glad to have fMMS! The only 2 things missing from this great phone was MMS and 3G video call. fMMS took care of the MMS missing part. Skype video call didn't really fix my situation (yet) because most of my contacts aren't on skype with video conf all the time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
BTW, frals, I've never gotten around to doing this, but: Thank you for making this. In my personal opinion, this app is wonderful. I WOULD however love that configurable subject line option. I know most people don't use it, but I'd like to have the option to.

Anyway, as for me, I don't have any of the complaints the original poster does. I didn't use my N900 for half a year as a phone. Just switched to using it that way yesterday. And within one check of the wikipedia and correcting two fields I had entered wrong at some point in the past in fMMS, I was able to painlessly receive an MMS from my girlfriend.

For a completely essentially-one-person-made program, it's ridiculously good. It's not integrated with the rest of conversations, which isn't ideal, yeah, but when you actually stop and think about it, it's ridiculous how much work frals has done and how well he's implemented something most companies have dedicated employees for.

I mean, I remember when you actually had to install fAPN seperately, and configure the APN to be able to even use fMMS. Now it does it for you, and does Havoc mode in a way that is theoretically potentially buggy but in practice almost never is.

It's depressing to me that there's anyone in the world who's not mind-blown by that.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
@ ericsson
@ romanianusa

so far, I haven't seen sh*t from either of you two in the "useful applications for the N900 that I've made from scratch" category.

Considering the N900 came with no MMS support whatsoever, out of the box, I would put it to both of you that, Frals has done a sensational job of getting MMS working to the level it does (and continues to improve and update the application on a regular basis).

I for one, as an individual with virtually no coding skills at all, am immensely grateful for all the UNPAID work Frals has done (thanks mate!) to provide the community with something Nokia didn't
In fact I might go so far as to say that until either of you write an application that's either comparable or better, you can stop pissing and moaning.

Ungrateful sods
/ends rant

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
@ ericsson
@ romanianusa

so far, I haven't seen sh*t from either of you two in the "useful applications for the N900 that I've made from scratch" category.

Considering the N900 came with no MMS support whatsoever, out of the box, I would put it to both of you that, Frals has done a sensational job of getting MMS working to the level it does (and continues to improve and update the application on a regular basis).

I for one, as an individual with virtually no coding skills at all, am immensely grateful for all the UNPAID work Frals has done (thanks mate!) to provide the community with something Nokia didn't
In fact I might go so far as to say that until either of you write an application that's either comparable or better, you can stop pissing and moaning.

Ungrateful sods
/ends rant
Whatever. The 'unpleasent' truth still remains. fMMS lacks most basic functionality to be able to use it the way MMS is used in all other devices. Nokia did not provide us with MMS functionality, the point is, fMMS doesn't either. Proof of concept, yes, but that's it.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Whatever. The 'unpleasent' truth still remains. fMMS lacks most basic functionality to be able to use it the way MMS is used in all other devices. Nokia did not provide us with MMS functionality, the point is, fMMS doesn't either. Proof of concept, yes, but that's it.
If you don't like it then don't use it.
Obviously trying to instruct you on how the comunity works when there is something you would like to see in an application someone has put their own time and effort into
is a total waste of all our time.

Take your "pissing & moaning" to nokia and see where that gets you

Last edited by matts76; 2010-11-14 at 09:57.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
And you still have not been able to point out what it doesnt do yet, except "it doesnt look like Symbian".

Thanks for pointing out the issue with forwarding though, I fixed the regression there last night.

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Why does it need to be capped under 300kb? I'm asking because a standard pic with N900 (5Mp) is easily >700kb. Any way to expand this option? Or is it standard MMS settings?
Open Mobile Alliance standards?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
fmms is useless to me because you have to have data plan to receive or send pictures. You can't do it with wi-fi or can't do it within the concept of txt messaging. My oldest phone which ISN'T a smartphone and was 5 years old...was able to receive pictures through txt messaging and this smartphone can't!!
Try to understand the fundamental differences between SMS (picture messages) and MMS (data) before you make statements like this. You are wrong good sir, and I challenge you to a duel. (Throws gauntlet on floor)

The N900 is a tablet computer with phone features, not all the features, just some of them. The multiple SMS picture message thing is a tad dated (ancient in fact) and, well, kind of obsolete if you ask me. If you want that feature you'll have to talk to Nokia - conversations is a closed application. While it'd be pretty easy to intercept picture messages, you'd still have the same problem as fMMS in that it can't integrate in to conversations directly.

If you got the N900 for these so called picture messages, you got the wrong machine.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Is this a kindergarten? Did I hurt your feelings kids? Well, I'm so sorry. If I like fMMS or not has nothing to do with it. The app is NOT a usefull app to send/receive MMS, it does NOT have the functionality required, not by a long shot.

I don't use fMMS. The reason is not that I don't like it, or don't appriciate the work by frals. The reason is that the app suck in doing what an MMS app is supposed to do. Most of it it doesn't even do.
Try and actually understand what people are telling you.

This is definitely not a preschool, but your language tends to make one wonder if you may be a student thereof. It would be much better if you could actually articulate your desire in a less combative manner.

So you want MMS to be integrated in to conversations - well, short and simple - it cannot be done, and it never will be unless Nokia make it so. Conversations is closed. That is not the fault of anyone here, asking for something better will not get you very far, the best is fMMS, if it doesn't do what you want then you've reached a dead end.

You have one option. Write an application that replaces conversations (every feature thereof) and includes MMS. To say this is non-trivial would probably be an understatement.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by frals View Post
And you still have not been able to point out what it doesnt do yet, except "it doesnt look like Symbian".

Thanks for pointing out the issue with forwarding though, I fixed the regression there last night.
There are two things that makes it useless, and I mean totally, especially combined:
1. No multiple recipients.
2. Unable to forward an MMS in the proper way (should work like e-mail from a user perspective).

But reading through this thread I see that both these are fixed. That is very good, it makes fMMS actually usable, but still very limited. I haven't tried the new version yet though.

Then there are a subject line. I cant find any. This is important, just as in e-mail.

Ability to send movies.

Ability to send a picture with sound (this is one of the main basic functionality of MMS), and the one that is used most.

And of course playback of those things.

Anyway what strikes me the most, is that this is BASICS. Ability to send a picture is fine, but that is not what MMS is all about. Still, I see one after the other asking me to be specific, as if MMS is some new exotic functionality in a phone. I mean, MMS is old, as old as the camera phone, and if you have no idea what MMS is all about, then STFU! All these holier than though 'this is a community, not Nokia' children here - it is pathetic.

MMS is as standard as SMS, as standard as e-mail, as standard as a virtual terminal, and so are the basic functionality. I am talking the most basic here, as in the ability to enter text in an SMS, hit 'enter' in a virtual terminal and so on. Just pick up the cheapest dumbphone and learn.

Frals is doing a great job, I have never said othervise. But the functionality of fMMS is severly lacking, to the point of uselesness for everyday MMS use. At least the version I have installed right now, it cannot be used because it lacks basic functionality. But I will give the newest version a try.

Tags
fmms rules, mms or pms, never happy, op is a bumder, op is a douche, op is an idiot, op is on rag, op needs a slap, op sucks, thanks frals