Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Dear HtheB,
I think you are willingly misreading and misinterpreting and you are willingly overseeing posts which don't fit in your universe!

I have never written that I want a resistive screen like it was in the N900. I have just written that I want a stylus. The way it is reached is of no matter for me. But I don't understand why there are so few phones around with this possibility. Yes Samsung's Note series do. But as already written my pockets are to small and I can't us it with with just one hand.
And just to be sure, that you don't say it is contradicting using a stylus and using a phone with just one hand: There are situations where you just have one hand free, and situations where you want to make a sketch of something. So the perfect device is ALWAYS just a compromise.
By the way the spen isn't really superior over the N900 stylus: it needs power.

Do I want to have a bigger screen? Yes. best would be something like 27" but unfortunately that is not very mobile anymore.

Coming to a further point: I have already proven, that THERE ARE Movies existing in 4:3 it was in the past a common cinema format. And I have already written, that the very famous movie casablanca was in this aspect ratio (1,33:1 is 4:3 in the cinema world)

But to be honest as a cineast for me personally movies on a phone are anyway ridiculous. I have never seen one on a phone, and I probably never will. In Germany we would call this "Mäusekino" (mouse cinema), and is no joy.

For me pictures are from relevance and here is the most common aspect ration still 3:2 and the 4:3 and 16:9.
2:1 is nonexistent.

But as I already written the screen technology isn't really important for me. It's still a phone and no professional screen I have to work with. So that's not a deal breaker for me. But the over all size is. So i will have to wait and see if I can live with the size of the Fx or not.

By the way, You say AMOLED is superior. Please tell me in what regards?!
I'm a photographer and working with calibrated screens. In my opinion AMOLEDS are a nightmare: The colours are horribly oversaturated and have nothing to do with real colours. Well I now they have also two advantages: One is, having a proper black point. The other is, they need less power when there is dark content, but unfortunately that changes when you have bright content. So in what points are they furthermore superior???? You're just claiming something and that's it? WOW, I'M IMPRESSED!

In your world there seem to exist only black and white, true and false and you of course, you are always right.
Poor boy!!!

And finally to go on with my rant:
You are advising @pichlo (and hereby also others) to use a dumbphone (and that wasn't the only offense). Well to be honest offending people isn't what I would expect from a moderator of a forum. You know, with great power comes great responsibility.

Edit: huh there was some conversation while I've written this post

Last edited by Fellfrosch; 2018-12-20 at 09:12.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Let's not get the tension too high.

I'm fully aware of there being a demand of smaller screen devices, never denied it. Let's put the argument of which one is better aside, just for reality... in order to create a successful project commercially, doing a smaller screen is much much harder than, I say the mainstream size.

As a small company, on some of the parts we are relying on some standard components, not being the same as others but within a certain range of "tweak". For example, for a screen around 5.5", let's say from 5.0" to 6.0", there are plenty of suppliers to choose from, and we can modify the panel slightly to fit the sensors, we can choose the best TP, even with flex edge AMOLED despite being very expensive and hard to get.

On the other hand, if we do this device in 4" or 4.3", as many of you loved, it will be much much more difficult and risky to make it successful. First of all the modern phone has more components inside than 3G phones 10 years ago. More antennas, more sensors, even more cameras. Fitting everything in a small body plus a keyboard will make the device significantly chunkier (In modern standard, I know most people here probably won't care ) But this is not the biggest issue. The biggest problem is there is no good suppliers, all the 4" screens you can order or tweak nowadays are very poor TFT and FWVGA at its most. I know most of you probably won't care again compared with N900, but we won't have a chance to be successful if we use such poor quality screen. On the other hand, yes we can customise a new display from scratch, (my wishlist is AMOLED bezel-less and maybe 4.5 inch?) But this will involve a HUGE (I mean HUGE) front investment to make a new display product, and there will be risk of having problem here and there, and cause delays. Moreover, we need a number of shipment to supply this screen production. In general a few hundreds of thousands should be adequate, but how much units we can sell with it? It will be hard to even support this screen production, if there is no one else is using it. Unless we are Samsung or old Nokia, that can sell enough units to support production.

Making a slider phone, especially a slider phone and trying to catch up with a decent specs, quality, camera is very very costly. We have limited resources and it would be wiser we don't spend our resources creating a new screen, but on slider, camera, build quality etc.

I personally have used N810 N900 Jolla N950... I fully understand your feeling on a smaller device. I don't want to raise the argument, but at least it would be worth trying the nowadays mainstream screen size and ratio. Due to the removal of bezels it's not being as big as it sounds, but it does give a lot benefit - I can do so many more things on it than N900. Imaging running some decent part of Maemo on a 5.5" screen, it might not be the best for all (in fact there is nothing that everyone being happy with) but I would strongly advice at least give it a try.

That doesn't mean the dead of smaller screen sliders. We need to do one step at a time. So if this project is proven successful, and we have a slightly bigger scale and better resources, there is certainly a chance of having a 4" slider. But we need to get THIS product being correct first.

Last but not least, if you are disappointed about the size of the screen, and don't want to try the mainstream size, there is nothing wrong. But please regard this as the first step we need to take in order to achieve the product you want.

(And please let's keep calm)
Enough talking Chen. I said the same here a couple weeks ago just to save your precious time so that you could use it to hand write a love note for me and put in the box of my ReadyFx to ship the next day. But my damn mailbox is empty, don't you realize that you broke my heart?

(Just kidding. Great post to clarify priorities. As I said several times, you convincingly demonstrated that this is the right strategy, and this comes from someone who, in an ideal world with unlimited budget, would prefer a smaller but chunkier form factor. I'm still eagerly waiting for the ReadyFx, just hoping that alternative OS will be ported soon after its release.)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
So? Where I'm going ? And who is the other one...
Unknown location!
You and me while HtheB cleaning the floor so your question should be directed in the general direction of him.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
While reading all this, I am astounded to see how eagerly some defend exactly the points @HtheB correctly criticised (though in an exaggerated manner).

I just pick this post as an nice example (there are others by others):
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Dear HtheB,
I think you are willingly misreading and misinterpreting and you are willingly overseeing posts which don't fit in your universe!
Do you realise, that others might read your posts the same way?
Additionally they show a lack of economic and technical understanding why things are done today, the way they are done.

For example:
I have never written that I want a resistive screen like it was in the N900. I have just written that I want a stylus. The way it is reached is of no matter for me. But I don't understand why there are so few phones around with this possibility. [...]
Obviously.
The reason is: Because they do not have a resistive screen!
Details (pointing precision etc.) and technical background (what materials do interact with an capacitive touchscreen) can be easily found in the WWW, e.g. on Wikipedia.

Coming to a further point: I have already proven, [...] movies on a phone are anyway ridiculous. I have never seen one on a phone, and I probably never will.
So you "have proven" (not really, but thats another point) that your point is irrelevant.
Seriously: Wish for and "prove"/"disprove" (which is all just an expression of your opinion) what you like, but accept the technical and economical realities @chen depicted (and in general).

But as I already written the screen technology isn't really important for me. [...] I'm a photographer and working with calibrated screens. In my opinion AMOLEDS are a nightmare: The colours are horribly oversaturated and have nothing to do with real colours.
Do you realise, that this s just a matter of color calibration and deliberately done by the phone manufactures (not the AMOLED display manufacturers), what you call a "not really important nightmare"?

In your world there seem to exist only black and white, true and false and you of course, you are always right.
Poor boy!!!
If you take this statement as a mantra for a meditation, it may provide great insights by self-reflection.

Last edited by olf; 2018-12-20 at 16:52.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Obviously.
The reason is: Because they do not have a resistive screen!
Details (pointing precision etc.) and technical background (what materials do interact with an capacitive touchscreen) can be easily found in the WWW, e.g. on Wikipedia.
... and I thought because they have no digitizer. What a technical idiot I am...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Hep

Hold Your Horses!

Let's just wait a little longer... Chen will come and tell us more about that new precious...

It is almost Christmas time... So peace and wait for your presents...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
Hep

Hold Your Horses!

Let's just wait a little longer... Chen will come and tell us more about that new precious...

It is almost Christmas time... So peace and wait for your presents...
Chen is bizzy cheering @ Fulham. So it’s up to Santa to deliver this year.

1. What do you wish for this year?
2. Have you been noughty or nice?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would pay extra for an option to have an e-ink only. No LCD, no OLED, just e-ink. (Or two: one as the screen and one under a transparent keyboard dome sheet for an easily reconfigurable keyboard.)
Advice: Use dumbphone.
Do you call that a constructive response?

FWIW, I was dead serious. For the vast majority of applications, an e-ink is entirely adequate. With the very few exceptions (such as video or games), all that a mobile phone - or indeed any computing device - displays is a static screen with no fast changing areas. On a battery powered portable device, the power saving and sunlight readability of an e-ink would vastly outweigh anything else.

I do realize that some people may like watching videos on a mobile phone and for them it might not be the best choice which is why I said I would pay extra for the option.

But the entire discussion is purely academic anyway since Chen lost my custom the moment he said he was going for a large screen and refused to budge. There is absolutely no way I am buying anything above 5". I want a portable device. One that fits comfortably in the hand and pocket. Not one that I need to carry in a backpack. I already have a few of those.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

FWIW, I was dead serious. For the vast majority of applications, an e-ink is entirely adequate. With the very few exceptions (such as video or games), all that a mobile phone - or indeed any computing device - displays is a static screen with no fast changing areas. On a battery powered portable device, the power saving and sunlight readability of an e-ink would vastly outweigh anything else.

Off topic - I decided to weigh-in when I constantly see it mentioned - as from my experience of real use, your comment will cause mis-lead of some understanding of e-ink screen.

I assume your "vast majority of application" are the applications built for capacitive touch screens, not for keyboard quipped devices that mainly using keyboard to input, like traditional PC, Symbian non touch phones etc.?

If you mean the modern touch screen apps, the answer is close to impossible. For the current e-ink touch screen, the frame rate and responsive time is much much slower than any of the touch screens, far behind. It will be difficult even to perform basic functions, like scroll, zoom picture etc. Not saying it's impossible, but it won't give the same user experience as you expect as a touch screen.

This is the main reason e-ink as a secondary screen, or even as a primary screen, does not give a great user experience on mobile phones. Because customers "expect" the same experience as touch screen, or thought they are the same, but in fact they are not.

As far as I know the industry have not solved this problem yet. I don't want to go to far but I am happy to discuss if interested. However the main reason I decided to write this reply is that you seemed not used this before, your statement is based on IMAGINATION.

And I really think those are the reasons some people will get frustrated.

Like you mentioned anything above 5" you regard as "big" and could not put in pocket. I am not sure how you define your 5" screen, will it be a 18:9 (in fact that will probably be the size of 4.5" in your experience), a 16:9, or a 4:3? Will it be bezel-less 18:9, 16:9 or 4:3? They can vast a lot on actual size. And clearly you don't seem to really giving a clear definition, because if there is a 5" with 18:9 screen I don't think it won't fit in your pocket. I remember you are still using the Jolla 1, a 5" 18:9 will very very likely being physically smaller.

I want to make it clear that I am not asking you to back up our project nor buy the product, but wanted to state again that you need to try it before conducting any conclusion - statement like 5" being too big, or AMOLED being over saturated are the same as "Chinese (or insert a nation) food is awful" because they do have different variation.

And remember, even the definition of "pocket" can vary because I have no issues fitting a 18:9 6" product in any of my trousers, and it seem to be the case for our team members. It might be a little bit special on yours?

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2018-12-21 at 09:19.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Off topic - I decided to weigh-in when I constantly see it mentioned - as from my experience of real use, your comment will cause mis-lead of some understanding of e-ink screen.

I assume your "vast majority of application" are the applications built for capacitive touch screens, not for keyboard quipped devices that mainly using keyboard to input, like traditional PC, Symbian non touch phones etc.?

If you mean the modern touch screen apps, the answer is close to impossible. For the current e-ink touch screen, the frame rate and responsive time is much much slower than any of the touch screens, far behind. It will be difficult even to perform basic functions, like scroll, zoom picture etc. Not saying it's impossible, but it won't give the same user experience as you expect as a touch screen.

This is the main reason e-ink as a secondary screen, or even as a primary screen, does not give a great user experience on mobile phones. Because customers "expect" the same experience as touch screen, or thought they are the same, but in fact they are not.

As far as I know the industry have not solved this problem yet. I don't want to go to far but I am happy to discuss if interested. However the main reason I decided to write this reply is that you seemed not used this before, your statement is based on IMAGINATION.

And I really think those are the reasons some people will get frustrated.

Like you mentioned anything above 5" you regard as "big" and could not put in pocket. I am not sure how you define your 5" screen, will it be a 18:9 (in fact that will probably be the size of 4.5" in your experience), a 16:9, or a 4:3? Will it be bezel-less 18:9, 16:9 or 4:3? They can vast a lot on actual size. And clearly you don't seem to really giving a clear definition, because if there is a 5" with 18:9 screen I don't think it won't fit in your pocket. I remember you are still using the Jolla 1, a 5" 18:9 will very very likely being physically smaller.

I want to make it clear that I am not asking you to back up our project nor buy the product, but wanted to state again that you need to try it before conducting any conclusion - statement like 5" being too big, or AMOLED being over saturated are the same as "Chinese (or insert a nation) food is awful" because they do have different variation.

And remember, even the definition of "pocket" can vary because I have no issues fitting a 18:9 6" product in any of my trousers, and it seem to be the case for our team members. It might be a little bit special on yours?

Try before any conclusion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit