Notices

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Australia Maaaaaaaaate
Anyone who has been following the`eSpeak caller like app`will know that I`m employed on a mining site in Australia,actually in the middle of the Gibson Desert,and have access to equipment not normally seen or readily accessible to the general public.My latest toy is an Amoled capacitive touchscreen sat phone.`So what ?`you may be saying.Well,when setting it up,an option available is a live temperature display onscreen that doesn't require an internet connection.I assumed a sensor was built into the phone.This,I found out was later,was incorrect.My interest got the better of me so I called the manufacturer,got put thru to software,and questioned the engineer.

He explained how an Amoled screen worked.A capacitive touchscreen consists of two spaced layers of glass, which are coated with conductor such as Indium Tin Oxide (ITO).As the human body is an excellent electrical charge conductor,when a finger touches the glass of the capacitive surface, it changes the local electrostatic field. The system continuously monitors the movement of each tiny capacitor to find out the exact area where the finger had touched the screen.Because of this sensitivity, in development it was noted that exposed to heat or cold caused significant changes to the electrostatic field.

Testing revealed that when exposed to cold temperatures,the electrostatic field increased up to -20 degrees C than stopped working,the exact opposite occurring when exposed to heat,the electrostatic field decreased up to 150 degrees C before the screen destroyed itself.

From there it was a matter of writing software that compared electrostatic field readings to temperature monitoring scripts which are part of the software that controls the amolded capacitive touchscreens on 99% of all devices fitted with these screens.

So,now I understand how the live temperature display works on my sat phone,my question,and subsequent proposal, to the community is......As the N9 has an identical touchscreen to my sat phone,and possibly running the exact or very similar scripting to control these parameters,would it be possible to utilize whats in place,within the N9`s operating software, to develop a similar live display that could appear in the status bar or standby screen and be updated,like my sat phone,to a 15 second exposure to the elements?

Let the games begin.......

Last edited by ghost_who_walks; 2013-04-28 at 07:48.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ghost_who_walks For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Good idea, a little complicated, though.

Is it not easier to use the control of the battery temperature which is already in place? Conky, for example, already displays this information.

The displayed temperature is only accurate when the phone is not charging and when the CPU load is limited.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Absolutely love the way the way you wrote the little sorry
This is a very interesting engineering concept, I would love to see what developers and the community think about it.
Next week, I will do some more research about it and share my results.
Great idea!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mric For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Nice idea. I'd first look at the way the TS driver (atmel_mxt) handles the touch events, does it get raw access to the electrostatic data or is it already filtered/balanced in HW before the driver.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I have asked, once, if somebody would do something similar for N900 touch-screen.
Glad to see that you are looking into this subject.
Best wishes.

Tags
nokia n9, temperature