History :

1)Flashing failed with Windowx XP SP 2 - Vanilla image error.

2) Windows XP SP 3 - both images flashed but when Vanilla was flashed first and then rtfs image,I got error 'flashing into the protocol mk II' when the order was reversed everything went well,but again no booting.I mean I get Nokia logo followed by 5 white dots for few seconds and again switch off!

3) Tried hard to get Ubuntu running on my PC as Live Cd and again : I flashed Vanilla image first,then removed battery ( as one user,with similar error as mine, has reported so) and again flashed rtfs image again got the same 'flashing into the protocol mk II ' error.So I again tried to flash rtfs image,flashing completed successfully but...its result was same,dead,dark screen after blinking white dots.

Why does it happen and what is the solution for it? It is beyond me.I am supposed to study for an exam and due to this frustation I am not able to concentrate on my studies,since N900 is the only device (high-end?) I have.

And yes,I have completely messed up with boot/multboot as I used to get 8 options to choose from when I use to reboot,one of them was NITDroid.And I have recently (last one month) started using charger of HP Touchpad for N900.

Sorry for bad english.But for the sake of God,please help me out.I am dying to see my N900 working again and I want to go through that exam too.

May God bless you my dear friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to vicvanceind For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Just trying to summarize the wiki article...
Troubleshooting
  • Make sure your battery is (completely) charged! Flashing will fail when battery is too low, and battery will not charge if your system does not boot up correctly. You can find yourself trapped in a deadlock, when flashing fails due to battery depleting during flashing! If your device does not enter and stay in flashing mode (NOKIA + USB-icon on screen) despite you holding the "U" key while plugging it in to charger/PC, then battery is too low. If your device does not boot to a proper system, then you usually have to find a way to [http://europe.nokia.com/find-product.../compatibility charge battery externally] - a bootlooping or stalled boot will '''not charge''' battery! So better completely charge your battery prior to any attempt to flash the device.
  • If you got any problems during starting or completing the flashing process, do the following steps which describe the complete foolproof flashing procedure again in terse form: ''(use a Linux machine to flash! Windows isn't really backed up with much support from community, for obvious reasons.)''
    1. blacklist cdc_phonet (see above)! Run modprobe -r cdc_phonet
    2. (try to) Turn off the device - if nothing else helps, holding power key for >8s is the ultimate means (except next point 2.) to do this.
    3. Remove the battery - even if you were not able to shut device down in 1.
    4. Start flasher with above mentioned command to flash (without -R, it's a useless convenience thing). It says "Suitable device not found... waiting"
    5. Plug the device to computer with a good USB cable.
    6. Insert battery while holding "u" key. You can release the key as soon as screen turns on and shows the USB logo. Flashing shall start automatically. ''(If flasher answers "unable to enumerate USB buses!" as soon as N900 gets battery, just re-issue same flasher cmd immediately - cursor-up helps ;-D). If flasher doesn't detect the device, a Ctrl+C abort and re-issuing of the flasher command may help''
    7. Check for correct diagnostic output of flasher, as quoted above. After flashing has finished, remove battery ->(2.) 3.)
    8. Repeat same procedure (2. - 7.) for each image to flash (sequence: eMMC first, then rootfs - some mess on rootfs may break eMMC flashing and require sequence rootfs eMMC rootfs again). ''So far this procedure always worked, given your PC side has no problems. Many known problems on PC side - esp "waits forever" / "doesn't find N900" - get fixed with a reboot *immediately prior* to doing the flashing.''
    9. After flashing unplug your device from PC prior to first boot. First boot can take several minutes, and screen may turn dark during that. You may try lock-slider switch, but '''do not power down''' device during first boot, until it finally finished - I.E. do not touch power button after flashing, unless you're *sure* device hasn't already started to boot. Usually device will power down when unplugged from PC in flashing mode, you can tell this from white LED fading out, not even any dim backlight, and device not reacting to lockslider and kbd-open. Power it up from battery then, using the power button. ''Only then'' plugging in the wallcharger is a good idea. Make sure device charges and recharge battery while you're at it. After battery got fully charged again, it's probably safe to switch off your N900, as first boot setup should have finished.
Flashed but still getting only "5 white dots going back and forth"
This can be caused by various problems. Known problems are:
  • If boot finds a corrupted FAT32, it may decide to run fsck against it, which may take like hours to complete.
  • System is trying to run corrupted ~/.profile file with wrong commands which interrupt complete boot.
Solution can be to use rescueOS: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=75369 , which can help you to mount rootfs, home (mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/free1) and edit files or "do other useful rescue stuff".

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
My first doubt is :

I always get "booting into flash mode" when I try to flash vanilla image.

Is it any kind of error? How can I avoid it?

Originally Posted by vicvanceind View Post
My first doubt is :

I always get "booting into flash mode" when I try to flash vanilla image.

Is it any kind of error? How can I avoid it?
when you try to flash, do you
  • fully charge the battery
  • connect USB cable to computer's USB port
  • launch flasher-3.5 ...... on the PC
  • wait until it complains about not having found a device, waiting
  • hold the U key on the N900 keyboard
  • connect the micro-USB side to the N900
?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
I successfully COLD flashed my N900 using following commands :

sudo ./flasher-3.5 -F FIASCO.bin -u

sudo ./flasher-3.5 -c -h RX-51:2204 -S usb -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.004_PR_COMBINED_004_ARM.bin -f -R

sudo ./flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.004_PR_COMBINED_004_ARM.bin --flash-only=nolo -f

I flashed everything successfully,but since I did not know how to proceed so I stopped there and again kept my battery for charging,but ut has left me with some doubts such as :
1)what does it mean when one completes this cold flashing successfully

2) what should be my next step? Am I supposed to repeat these steps again while proceeding with flashing again?

3) I have many files on my Ubuntu desktop,can I delete them? ( I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 as dual boot with my Windows XP.And Ubuntu is cool!)

@misterc

I have no problems connecting N900 to PC and I follow the exact steps as written by you.

Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicvanceind For This Useful Post:
Hello!

I have seen my N900 alive again!

For the one who wants to know how I did it :

I cold flashed it.till the last point on this page,all commands were completed without any error.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_f.../Cold_Flashing

Then I flashed rtfs i.e. FIASCO image -----> Vanilla image -----> again FIASCO image.

Everything without removing battery single time.

But I have flashed with older FIASCO image that has caused SIM card problems and other region/language problems.

I DO NOT want to flash N900 again,but I want to update its firmware so that I can use it as a phone.

Any options? Because I can not connect it to PC via PC suite mode and update via NSU.Neither my wifi is working well.

But if I got NSU and WiFi working do I still need to flash n900 by commands?

This is the only question I have right now.

Thank you friends!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicvanceind For This Useful Post:
All updates should be available through the maemo repositories - are they not? Once the nokia updates are installed, then follow steps to add CSSU repo (plus CSSU-Thumb2, if you like).

The basic image for PR 1.3 should be the one you've just loaded on? This is the last full update. PR1.3.1 was just to refresh some out of date internet certificates, I think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
All updates should be available through the maemo repositories - are they not? Once the nokia updates are installed, then follow steps to add CSSU repo (plus CSSU-Thumb2, if you like).

The basic image for PR 1.3 should be the one you've just loaded on? This is the last full update. PR1.3.1 was just to refresh some out of date internet certificates, I think.

What I am using now on N900 is of 157 MB (renamed file,nokia_N900.bin) while the one which is 'latest image' in repositories has title : RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.004_PR_COMBINED_004_ARM.bin (i.e. For India). I did not use this image (190 MB) for flashing for some unknown reasons.

But I want to use the same,later,191 MB image as my OS without flashing N900 through commands.

Please guide me.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by vicvanceind View Post
What I am using now on N900 is of 157 MB (renamed file,nokia_N900.bin) while the one which is 'latest image' in repositories has title : RX-51_2009SE_20.2010.36-2.004_PR_COMBINED_004_ARM.bin (i.e. For India). I did not use this image (190 MB) for flashing for some unknown reasons.

But I want to use the same,later,191 MB image as my OS without flashing N900 through commands.

Please guide me.
Quick reply...
Microsoft Windows users who wish to update their N900 can use the Nokia Software Updater (aka NSU)... The Nokia Software Updater can now be used when updating from a previous firmware to a new one or re-flashing.
I am absolutely sure that it is possible to update from one version of firmware to another by using Nokia Software Updater (I have done it once, long ago). However, I cannot guarantee that it would be able to replace a non-India variant of firmware with a variant of firmware for India. I suppose it will not hurt to try using NSU, though; if, after updating the device through NSU, it still has any problems, you may have to use the flasher and command-line, again.
First, make sure your Nokia N900 is completely, fully charged.
Second, connect the N900 to the PC, using a USB data cable, in PC Suite Mode, and open the Nokia Software Updater application.
Then, use the NSU. I am not sure what its interface looks like, because I haven't used it for a long time, and right now it is updating itself (very slowly, at excruciating pace).
Per aspera ad astra...

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
Microsoft Windows users who wish to update their N900 can use the Nokia Software Updater (aka NSU)... The Nokia Software Updater can now be used when updating from a previous firmware to a new one or re-flashing.
I am absolutely sure that it is possible to update from one version of firmware to another by using Nokia Software Updater (I have done it once, long ago). However, I cannot guarantee that it would be able to replace a non-India variant of firmware with a variant of firmware for India. I suppose it will not hurt to try using NSU, though; if, after updating the device through NSU, it still has any problems, you may have to use the flasher and command-line, again.
First, make sure your Nokia N900 is completely, fully charged.
Second, connect the N900 to the PC, using a USB data cable, in PC Suite Mode, and open the Nokia Software Updater application.
Then, use the NSU. I am not sure what its interface looks like, because I haven't used it for a long time, and right now it is updating itself (very slowly, at excruciating pace).
Per aspera ad astra...
N900 connects to WIndows Xp SP3 i.e. all drivers when I connect USB to N900 install without any problem but when I set N900 on PC suite mode and try to see notification on PC,there is no 'N900 connected via PC suite mode' shown but when I choose 'mass storage mode' I get notification : "N900 connected via non-compatible mode' sort of thing.

if I could connect it through PC suite mode I think I will not have to use commands.But still if there is no option,what am supposed to do? Use commands,but which? using global image?