Active Topics

Notices

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
i've no issues with it being commercialized (i for one bought a copy). i just thought some due credit was needed.

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Actually, I don't think that app has any of my source codes in esp as it does not seem to work like mine (with sh scripts). Also, it was made by thp (Thomas Perl) who is a highly respected and acomplished coder with multiple projects across maemo and meego (gpodder, radio, etc).
The funny thing is, I got the idea of python-imaging for LockscreenQuotes from thp itself from his ip widget for N9. The ciiiiircle of Liiiiiiife!

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
But, I wont be able to use system heartbeat from a shell script right? So I am now learning to write and compile a small C++ program that invokes the shell script when woken up. It may take time as I am a newb.
If you are using Python (you are already using it for the rendering part), you could use QSystemAlignedTimer. For this, you need to install (depend on) the "python-qtmobility" package (there's also QmHeartbeat in "python-qmsystem", but I haven't tested it). Example code:

Code:
import sys

from PySide.QtCore import *
from QtMobility.SystemInfo import *

app = QCoreApplication(sys.argv)

def on_timeout():
    print 'good morning' # you would call the script here

minimumTime = 30 # seconds
maximumTime = 60 # seconds

timer = QSystemAlignedTimer()
timer.timeout.connect(on_timeout)
timer.setSingleShot(False)
timer.start(minimumTime, maximumTime)

sys.exit(app.exec_())
on_timeout will be called at some time between the minimum and maximum time - it will be "aligned" with other processes in the system waking up if possible.

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
its frustrating when someone takes open-sourced work and commercializes it without giving due credit to the original devs.
I initially had the idea for something like that while working on the ipaddr-widget (see "Further work" on the ipaddr-widget page), but never got around to implement it until I saw USbS mentioned on mwkn.net. I thought it was very good, but I wanted to have it easily installable (and auto-starting after a reboot) and be a bit more dynamic (e.g. current playing song), so I wrote Billboard from scratch using C++, Qt and ContextKit. I mentioned USbS and lpsmagic in the announcement blog post, but just saw that it was not mentioned on the Billboard webpage. I've added this small piece of historic information to it now.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
thp, i owe you an apology. i'm sorry in haste when downloading the app from the store i didn't realize you were the developer hence my comment before your support thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
how I make to uninstall?

how to remove usbs?

Tags
harmattan, lowpowerscreen