Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I guess the workers att Nokia totally got sick of this decisions so why do they even botter continue progress with new UI(qt-components) for Symbian and Meego?

Biggest problem with that is Qt dies at the end and who is the winner? Microsoft AGAIN ofcourse cause this is the way they want to go

History has showed it now we see it again. There is only one world about that American company I HATE IT

I was the one who disliked the idea about Android at Nokia but atleast that would be better than this :-@

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
There is only one way to look at this mess and it is a very clear case of Nokia has conned us and it's employee's so someone has got rich out of this and left everyone in this mess.

It is an even bigger mess than last month and the month before , the truth is Nokia is a big shambles now and are looking to a giant to save there ***.

Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
I'm not blaming Quim, or criticizing him in any way. Most people with families to feed would have done the same. But it's a path to a regular paycheck, not a path to greatness.
Nokia is a corporation with 130 000 employees. You'd have to be pretty high on the ladder to be noticed, no matter how loud you are. And that assuming you somehow get to know what is going on behind the scenes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I guess the workers att Nokia totally got sick of this decisions so why do they even botter continue progress with new UI(qt-components) for Symbian and Meego?
The management has basically informed the people who bring *all* the money to the company that their days are numbered. Sounds crazy to me, but I'm sure its just because I'm no economist.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
As a Nokian working for Meego (for a long time now, as some might remember), I understand the ecosystem thingy painfully well. Qt is very cool, QML is very cool (hey, even I was able to build an app with it), but coolness doesn't alone cut it.

I would have chosen slightly differently as Elop, regarding Qt at least, but hey, who am I.

Developers want to reach consumers, i.e. target platforms that have a) good developer tools to create attractive UE:s and b) many users. Rather than company C selling platform C and D selling D and E selling E, aligning where possible makes the platform a bigger ball and therefore more attractive. You know that Nokia is very capable of delivering a large amount of devices with a given SW platform. It's like a huge factory: turning around takes time, but then when the machines are chugging 'There Will Be Devices'.

It's in Microsoft's and Nokia's best interest to succeed. The user experience that WP7 is able to provide is very good already in its 1.0 incarnation. No doubt the future versions will be even better, filling some of the gaps. Microsoft has a lot of assets and services in its disposal. If they're as determined as with say take Xbox as an example of a successful platform, only a fool would count them out.

-
The decisions that Elop had to make reminded me a bit of what Barack Obama said in a recent interview with Bill O'Reilly:

O'REILLY: What is it about the job that has surprised you the most? That you weren't prepared for coming in here?

OBAMA: You know, I think that the thing you understand intellectually, but you don't understand in your gut until you're in the job, is that every decision that comes to my desk is something that nobody else has been able to solve. The easy stuff gets solved somewhere by somebody else. By the time it gets to me, you don't have easy answers. You don't have the best...

The easy answer would have been just to stay the same course. But well, I ... the realist in me, and hey it's just my opinion, feel free to disagree, Meego in it's current form wouldn't have been so super-powerful-earthquake to have overcome the chicken and egg -problem, competing against Android and Apple and Microsoft and HP and Samsung and whomever all at the same time.

-
But you all know what the endgame is likely going to be. It's HTML5 or HTML or whatever you want to call it, and that game hasn't still been really even started yet. From platform-specific code to universal. Develop once, with standards, and it'll run on all the devices.It's coming, and it'll change the rules of the game, especially the ecosystem rules, one more time. If things go in a certain way, it will create a very interesting almost level playing field for devices to innovate around other parts of the user and developer experience.

Just be patient.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
The easy answer would have been just to stay the same course. But well, I ... the realist in me, and hey it's just my opinion, feel free to disagree, Meego in it's current form wouldn't have been so super-powerful-earthquake to have overcome the chicken and egg -problem, competing against Android and Apple and Microsoft and HP and Samsung and whomever all at the same time.
So WP7 is that powerful earthquake? I don't see how wp7 is so superior, I mean I tried it, its fancy, but also a bit confusing for the average bloke, and not really finished.

I know MS has usually very good developer tools and they may have xbox live and office, but I mean it comes with the price of loosing your independence and know-how, AND your unique brand.

What you say about HTML5 is interesting though. I wonder how much patience we need, 10 years ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
What you say about HTML5 is interesting though. I wonder how much patience we need, 10 years ;-)
2015 is my prediction of the year when it starts to become very significant - let's define significant to be that more than 50% of "the apps" would run with non-platform specific code. Of course there will always be the need to have "some" apps natively.

But who am I to predict.

--
roope

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
That is not true in the way you are implying, i.e. as legally required. You do not have to keep employees in the dark. You may choose to do it because you are worried about a larger picture that is more important than your employees, but my god

"the only way it could be done...": - that's not a thing to say
I think there is some credence to Quim;s point.

In situations where there is a deal being stuck which can (and will) affect the stocks of either company, the company management has to enforce chinese walls around such deals to prevent insider information leaks.
The management cannot possibly make all employess know about the deal and them make all of them come under an NDA or have all employees have access to such material non-public information.

You do realize that this is strictly material non-public information and such data dissemination falls under strict regulatory rules (like SEC rules in USA). That is why Chinese walls are enforced before any big deal is supposed to go through and only people involved directly in such deal-making are kept in the loop.

I think this is pretty standard corporate practice in all big companies these days.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Telling people off is rarely an effective strategy to win them over to your point of view,
Plus, I think it's pretty clear that Elop was bound and determined. He had his strategy. The next question was how many of the Finnish execs would be allowed to stay behind to help execute it? In other words, you're on board with him or you're looking for another job.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
In situations where there is a deal being stuck which can (and will) affect the stocks of either company, the company management has to enforce chinese walls around such deals to prevent insider information leaks.
The management cannot possibly make all employess know about the deal and them make all of them come under an NDA or have all employees have access to such material non-public information.

You do realize that this is strictly material non-public information and such data dissemination falls under strict regulatory rules (like SEC rules in USA). That is why Chinese walls are enforced before any big deal is supposed to go through and only people involved directly in such deal-making are kept in the loop.

I think this is pretty standard corporate practice in all big companies these days.
Sorry. There is no law which prevents a company from sharing information with its employees. The reason for Chinese walls is to minimize the risk to the parties involved that the transaction will be put in jeopardy by an employee who says something they shouldn't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
eflop, elop at a pole, tags gone awol