Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
you might also be interested in this thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31366

we talked about establishing an online shop for t-shirts, mugs, etc. in september. i had the impression then people were like "mhm, maybe, but..." about the idea.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
you might also be interested in this thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31366

we talked about establishing an online shop for t-shirts, mugs, etc. in september. i had the impression then people were like "mhm, maybe, but..." about the idea.
I see that. Can we merge these two threads?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There was a place where you could buy online shirts saying

WE ALL [HEART]
MAEMO

I saw at least one in the Summit. But I can't find it now.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Can we merge these two threads?
Yes. Threads merged.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I've produced merchandise in the past for sports groups. I've found that the number of people who actually buy is much smaller than the number who say they intend to buy.

The potential for maemo.org merchandise is bigger, but you need to allow for overheads like producing samples to check that the brightness/contrast of the artwork is suitable for the items being produced.

If you get the production and dispatch done by CafePress (probably the most practical way), the base price plus shipping is already quite high so there's not a lot of pricing leeway, and the profits will not be that great.

Who owns the rights to the "maemo.org" trademark? Is it Nokia or someone else? If it's Nokia, then the viability of this scheme depends on whether they will license that trademark without formality and lawyers. As soon as you need to pay lawyers, the economics of producing merchandise in small quantities may no longer be sound.

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
Who owns the rights to the "maemo.org" trademark? Is it Nokia or someone else? If it's Nokia, then the viability of this scheme depends on whether they will license that trademark without formality and lawyers. As soon as you need to pay lawyers, the economics of producing merchandise in small quantities may no longer be sound.
maemo.org is "owned" by the community. This is the whole reason we have separate Maemo and maemo.org trademarks, so the community can do whatever they wish with theirs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I created a new thread under the Brainstorm subforum for this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...341#post358341

vkv.raju, can you update your proposal to include that link for cross-reference?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
maemo.org is "owned" by the community. This is the whole reason we have separate Maemo and maemo.org trademarks, so the community can do whatever they wish with theirs
Thanks for that, but ... hmm ... I just found this page which says "you need to contact Nokia explicitly and ask permission to use the maemo.org logo for marketing or other commercial usage". This suggests that Nokia rather than the community owns the "maemo.org" trademark.

It then goes on to give permission for non-commercial, private and personal printing of t-shirts etc, but it doesn't sound to me like that covers CafePress items sold above the base price.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Thanks for that, but ... hmm ... I just found this page which says "you need to contact Nokia explicitly and ask permission to use the maemo.org logo for marketing or other commercial usage". This suggests that Nokia rather than the community owns the "maemo.org" trademark.
I don't think that'd be a huge issue, given the links that exist with Nokia, surely? (WIth the correct limitations, naturally).

The Following User Says Thank You to smarsh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Yes, the trademark guidelines (much like the Intro) are outdated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post: