Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
made a desktop file:
http://www.hedwerks.net/stuff/footify.desktop

slap that into /usr/share/applications/hildon/ to get a shortcut.

An icon would be nice too. Don't have time to make one now, but a football playing stickfigure with the spotify logo as the ball or something? A willing artist could make something nice.

Collaboration ftw
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Oh, nice. I'll have a go with the desktop file as soon as possible.

And yes, collaboration FTW!

I would like to try this "player", but I don't know how to install it. The guidelines in this thread doesn't help me enough, since my knowledge is VERY limited. A step by step guide would be much apppreciated. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Billy Broms View Post
I would like to try this "player", but I don't know how to install it. The guidelines in this thread doesn't help me enough, since my knowledge is VERY limited. A step by step guide would be much apppreciated. Thanks!
Since the client still is in a very experimental stage, I'd suggest that you wait some time until there at least is a package to install.

Installation, as it looks now, is not intended for users that aren't already comfortable with using the XTerminal as root. As soon as there is a .deb package to download and install, there will only be three easy steps to follow: download package, become root, install package.

(If you're up for a crash course and willing to risk having to try to get back to normal if something fails, the starting point is to install rootsh, download and move the tar.gz file to your N900, start an XTerminal, become root ("sudo gainroot" or just "root") and follow the instructions in the message with the tar.gz file above.)

Last edited by Joorin; 2010-05-21 at 14:05.

Ok, I guess I'll have to wait then. I did all those things you explain in your last post, but the end up with the result : "permission denied", when I try to start footify. Thanks anyway and hope a deb package isn't too far away.

"Permission denied" is the thing I expected the least if you managed to follow the instructions without errors and then try to start the client.

How did you try to start the client?

Could you please start an XTerminal and supply the output from
Code:
ls -al /home/opt/footify/usr/bin
ls -al /usr/bin/footify

Friday evening and what better to do than to hack a little.

Repeat and shuffle might already work ok for search results but is still a little iffy when you have started to play something from your play lists. I'm looking at this now.

I'll also have a look at local cache for meta-data. It will be stored under /home/user and not affecting rootfs but it's still important to see how it grows over time. I'm thinking about implementing an application menu which will enable both keeping track of the size and clearing it.

And, sorry mece, I had a go with Hildon buttons and it looked ... bad. So I went with graphics instead. It looks ok, is more stable and might be a bit better than text. Making the button backgrounds transparent might be interesting in the future.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
This version is, in some ways, less stable than the previous so if you are using the previous version and having fun, view this one as a stepping stone.

New features:
+ Experimental shuffle. I'm still trying to understand how libdespotify works when it comes to this but I'm guessing the problems come from thread issues. I get it to work one time out of five. Shuffle has to be activated before starting the first song. As soon as I understand how things should be done, this will change.
+ Repeat. Almost all my time has gone into shuffle so this isn't very well tested but works as far as I know.
+ Save username and password.
+ Previous song now works too.

Changes:
Cover art is now loaded at a better time. Hopefully all load stuttering will be gone.

What didn't get included:
- Local meta-data cache. I'll add this after some more testing.

Observations:
It's easy to create stutter in the playback. As others have pointed out, scrolling the browser or XTerminal is enough. As far as I can see, this is, mostly, caused by having to rely on PulseAudio which will use 15-20% CPU by itself. I'm guessing that it would be possible to bypass PulseAudio but it might have other side-effects that aren't very nice.

(Testing shuffle has taken quite some time. I'm glad I found a song that was only 0:49 long but not so glad it was a Mario Brothers techno remix.)

Installation instructions:
Since I'm now also using gconf to save data, this has to be set up:
Code:
cd /var/lib/gconf/apps
mkdir footify
chmod 777 footify
touch footify/\%gconf.xml
chmod 666 footify/\%gconf.xml
After that it's time to install the binary and its data:
Code:
cd /home/opt
tar zxf footify-0.0.2.tar.gz
If you want to be able to run the client from the XTerminal you need to create a symbolic link:
Code:
cd /usr/bin
ln -s /home/opt/footify/usr/bin/footify.sh footify
If you also want to be able to start the client like other installed applications, you need to place the .desktop file (thank you mece) in the right place:
Code:
cp /home/opt/footify/usr/share/footify.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon
Attached Files
File Type: gz footify-0.0.2.tar.gz (75.5 KB, 111 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Got some segmentations errors when I tried to login, but I managed to login after a couple of tries

Seems to work ok except for the stutter when I try to do something else

edit: I tried v0.02

Last edited by poka64; 2010-05-22 at 18:42.

Originally Posted by poka64 View Post
Got some segmentations errors when I tried to login, but I managed to login after a couple of tries

Seems to work ok except for the stutter when I try to do something else

edit: I tried v0.02
Oh? I haven't seen any segmentation faults on logins. Ever. Tell me your secret.

But, seriously, that's very weird since none of the despotify mechanics that push data has been started at login.

Do you try it on WiFi or a 3G connection?

And thank you for quick feedback. I do hope I didn't fsck up something while adding shuffle and previous song code.