N900
there's no mobile phone that can do what it does but with buying it this year ,you have to take care of what are you buying as i don't think that there's still a new N900
so here's some tips that makes you buy a good one

here in egypt many sell it too but most of the devices have changed the usb socket so take care of it
also they decisive people by telling them that the device is new by changing the screen protector (digitilizer) and changing the whole plastic cover so to make sure you can open the back cover and see if it is scratched or not..
another thing make sure that the screen is not scratched .. remove the screen protector and check it

the usb thing is the most common

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davdav For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by milmino View Post
Should I do it? I've always admired the n900 (look when I joined!), but didn't have enough money to buy it when it was first launched over two years ago.

I steadily lost interest in this pone up until recently when a friend offered it to me for about $230 barely used (but the stylus is lost).

Nutshell, m question to the community is: Worth it? Is the n900 still relevant in 2013? or will I be disappointed?

Ps. I have never owned a smartphone.
230 is a hell to high price. Max 100 for a used one

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
$230 may be higher than ebay but you know that it has a good USB port, and more importantly you will know that it is a REAL N900 not a FAKE "new" N900 from China/Hong Kong which is a repaired broken N900 often with a really messed up board inside fresh new plastic case, there is also the less common really new fake with a broadcast TV chip 2G and only old school java apps. I went for a Hong Kong "new" N900 and it was an unflashable brick in under two weeks, opened it up the filthy old circuit board had soldering iron burns and smelled of cigarette smoke. The seller had folded up shop by the time I tried to get service.
Be very careful about N900's you see advertised as new, used are probably safer even if you have to fix the USB.

Last edited by biketool; 2013-01-06 at 12:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
One thing that bothers me somewhat is that you can't buy a decent protective case for the N900 these days. I've been watching ebay for Otterbox case for several months now and nothing. You can probably find some inferior cases made in China, but they will be a disappointment I'm almost sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Val Demar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
After a long hiatus in Android land, a week ago I picked up another N900. Beaten up, scratched, no accessories, but USB port and everything else working. I'm loving it. $120

And today I just bought another N900. MINT condition, not even a scratch, with all accessories, and obviously everything working. $150

So is it worth buying? I think so, you just have to be careful what you buy, and test it out.

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I would say that it's not a wise decision despite the praise heaped up on it mainly due to the lack of LTE/4G - if applicable in your area - and the lack of continued development on things that make me actually want/use a phone like this... Google Voice, Google+, updated Twitter and/or App.Net and other stuff.

Not that it's a bad phone. But it's outdated as sin right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
My honest opinion. I wouldn't want to buy another smartphone despite the fact that they had new better technology coming out every year. Not until my N900 died or broken. Or getting too old. The N900 has too much features that satisfied me that other phones don't offer such as FM transmitter.

The Following User Says Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
What can you practicaly do with 4g that you cant do with 3.5g, especially with an untethered phone?
My concern is the data price per Gb and caps not needing any faster rates.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I would say that it's not a wise decision despite the praise heaped up on it mainly due to the lack of LTE/4G - if applicable in your area - and the lack of continued development on things that make me actually want/use a phone like this... Google Voice, Google+, updated Twitter and/or App.Net and other stuff.

Not that it's a bad phone. But it's outdated as sin right now.
Quick reply...
I don't use 3G, so I wouldn't have reason to use 4G. The only part which could have been attractive about 3G-4G would be video calling. But since I don't have the patience to even configure MMS... I don't think I need extra-cellular-connectivity.
And about Internet-related apps, and so on... Write them, or find a Twitter app which is already written for N900, and motivate the developer to add new features. I am not a Twitter person; I may enjoy blue colour, and simplicity of short messages, but I dislike sharing information with the whole world - they are epitome of information overload. I am already overwhelmed as it is, thank you.
And I am not a fan of Google. Gmail is comfortable, but Google is too monopolising.
Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
I don't use 3G, so I wouldn't have reason to use 4G. The only part which could have been attractive about 3G-4G would be video calling. But since I don't have the patience to even configure MMS... I don't think I need extra-cellular-connectivity.
And about Internet-related apps, and so on... Write them, or find a Twitter app which is already written for N900, and motivate the developer to add new features. I am not a Twitter person; I may enjoy blue colour, and simplicity of short messages, but I dislike sharing information with the whole world - they are epitome of information overload. I am already overwhelmed as it is, thank you.
And I am not a fan of Google. Gmail is comfortable, but Google is too monopolising.
No need for 3G nor extra-cellular-connectivity? Then you don't want nor need a phone.

I didn't say Twitter. Wrote a proof of concept for that in Qt already. There's no authentic Google+ besides the mobile and limited web version and no App.net app yet.

The needs in such a limited factor doesn't require a phone as you've described it. In fact, you've described my N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: