Active Topics

Notices

Can somebody tell me if there is a java app that lets me open java require programs on a website. Thanks.

How far have you got with the instructons in the Wiki and previous threads?

I downloaded Icedtea. It didnt do anything when I tried opening a java based app on the web.

Firstly, I'm no super expert. So my knowledge might be patchy in places. The following has been gained from trying things and eventually getting them working...

I can't remember the exact procedure but have a look through these fora and you will find the info to run the latest JVM from Oracle (more recent than icedtea).

Roughly speaking, there are 3 types of java programmes: stand alone for SE, stand alone for ME and web run-time.

The N900 can run the desktop version (SE) of the JVM, compiled for armv7 devices. Therefore java programmes can be run from the command line, once device is prepared. To run frequently used software, associate an icon with the line or two of shell that will init your programme. NB. IcedTea is for running stand alone (offline) software; it does not run web based java programmes, certainly without a lot of tweaking!

I really thought there was a Java web runtime included in microB, unless there's a version mismatch? Check the Wiki for this. Perhaps you need to do something in the browser's about:config to enable it?

There is also a reasonably recent (Spring/Summer 2011) micro emulator for software that runs in ME mode. Have a look through previous threads for this. This ME runs stuff normally designed for other devices like Symbian, Android etc. It's not quick but it can be useful.

Edit:
This has some good information
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ech/index.html
Probably, you want to set up the webstart feature for the browser. Bit of a faff is sorting out Java but very useful if you need its capabilities!

The alternative is to use the browser in EasyDebian. It has all this sort of stuff preconfigured.

Last edited by demolition; 2011-11-07 at 01:21.

I think I just found the thread for the java app. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to volcal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volcal View Post
... Thanks.
Please use the Thanks button!

Itd be great if I could get at least one java program to populate the java app on line. I downloaded microemultor and Iced ted. I tried putting in a url for the java required app and noting happens. Same thing with mjre (I think thats the name of it). I wanted to download the direct Sun Java app but that seemed really abit too difficult for me. Im hoping somebody writes up an app and puts it in the app manager.