Active Topics

hi everyone,

I live in the states and today i was at the microsoft store. I decided to take on the windows phone challenge.

Result: I got smoked by a windows phone

granted that the tasks at hand are biased towards windows phone, but I have to admit the fluid OS and the ease of using the phone amazed me.

My task was to take a photo, tag it and upload on facebook. By the time i finish taking the photo and viewing it, the windows phone was done. another thing that was demonstrated is that they are able to take a pic of any text and translate into any language...neat feature.

Anyways, i got a $25 giftcard out of it and i definitely am leaning towards windows for the ease of use...but still holding on to see what iOS 6 will offer..especially on the new iphone5 in the fall.

i must say..a lumia 800 smoked a nokia n9

*the fun fact was that the sales guy was fascinated by my phone..he has never seen an N9 and given the same hardware as the 800, he was curious on how the N9 was. Had a little side conversation with him. all in all, a good day.

Originally Posted by asianmoomoo View Post
By the time i finish taking the photo and viewing it, the windows phone was done.
This means you took too much time just to click and view a photo

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to praveenchand For This Useful Post:
Of course it was not a fair test. They had already configured their phone, worked out all the steps and practised it for speed. It's like competing on solving rubik cubes when one competitor has set up his cube and memorized the steps to complete the puzzle.

I wonder if there will be a challenge to transfer photos between 2 similar phones? With 2 N9s you just touch and you are almost done while the WP7 phones will have to upload/download to the Cloud.

Last edited by SamGan; 2012-05-24 at 15:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
you should set landscape mode before starting the challenge..they were all prepared but not you ...chance of them winning very high.

Bluetooth-ing file should be the challenge where Lumia will fail

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by asianmoomoo View Post
hi everyone,

I live in the states and today i was at the microsoft store. I decided to take on the windows phone challenge.

Result: I got smoked by a windows phone

granted that the tasks at hand are biased towards windows phone, but I have to admit the fluid OS and the ease of using the phone amazed me.

My task was to take a photo, tag it and upload on facebook. By the time i finish taking the photo and viewing it, the windows phone was done. another thing that was demonstrated is that they are able to take a pic of any text and translate into any language...neat feature.

Anyways, i got a $25 giftcard out of it and i definitely am leaning towards windows for the ease of use...but still holding on to see what iOS 6 will offer..especially on the new iphone5 in the fall.

i must say..a lumia 800 smoked a nokia n9

*the fun fact was that the sales guy was fascinated by my phone..he has never seen an N9 and given the same hardware as the 800, he was curious on how the N9 was. Had a little side conversation with him. all in all, a good day.
If you read mynokiablog.com, the nokia 808 smoked the windows phone. also on the n9 sharing is much faster than the windows phone so its quite possibly you who was slower. and b4 we flame i've a windows phone (not a 800 but a hd2) so i do know the time it takes.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
do you remember approx the time it took for you and for the Wphone?

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
a better teat would be to take a 5 minute video, upload it (use WiFi to be fair) and then take 3 photos, tag them and then make a phone call while doing the upload in the background.

doh. No WP multitasking.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Play a level of Angry Birds, make a screenshot of your score, send via Bluetooth.

Finishing level... oops, no screenshot app available, oops, cannot leave the game without resetting it, oops, no Bluetooth file transfer.

Last weekend I was amused watching two Lumia users try to exchange a photo. They eventually gave up... (e-mail would've been an option).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ St. Paul, MN
Originally Posted by flotron View Post
ignorant americans dont know anything beyond the ocean
Got it. All American's are Oceanographers, if ignorant. If not ignorant, they have options. Good to know, thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sphinx780 For This Useful Post:
Windows phone is like those calculators in primary school with the giant buttons. You could easily set up a set of challengers where the calculator would beat a scientific calculator or a computer almost everytime. The question is does this make the device more useful or desirable.

Tags
i'm relevant!, lol @ wp7