Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
NOT FOR USE ON 43-7 or above - NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

I made a DEB that will clone the currently running OS to a 2GB CARD. It will also clone it to bigger/smaller cards but its not really setup for that.

Notice if you want to install KDE using the KDE boot from SD deb.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19675
On a 2GB card, you need to use a fresh flash. If you install a bunch of apps there will not be enough space to finish KDEv2 installation. However once KDEv2 is installed, there will be about 330MB free.

1GB
1: 64MB FAT
2: 872GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 64MB SWAP

2GB
1: 128MB FAT
2: 1.75GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 128MB SWAP

4GB
1: 256MB FAT
2: 3.5GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 256MB SWAP

6GB
1: 384MB FAT
2: 5.255GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 384MB SWAP

8GB
1: 512MB FAT
2: 6.6GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 512MB SWAP

My initial build is only for N800 (either SD slot) or N810 IF YOU WANT TO CLONE TO THE INTERNAL 2GB CARD. This will not work on the n810 with a SD card. See bottom of page for 810 external slot install deb.

(SEE BELOW) for a link to the DEB if you want to try it out. NOTICE (It may HOSE your device and cause you to REFLASH your OS.)
Use at own risk. Take backups of any important data before continuing.

The new deb will partition your SD/MMC card, clone the Flash to the card. Install Boot Menu (with telnet support). Then you just reboot to your new menu and partition.

Please (See Below) to test and please post your experiences out here...

Thanks

pb

This will partition and format SD card
This will clone currently running OS to SD card
This will install bootmenu (with telnet recovery)
This will fsck all EXT2 partitions on SD cards when booted to flash (plays wav when complete) (view log /tmp/fsck.txt)
This will add sudo ALL=ALL in /etc/sudoers (gives you root access "sudo su -") Only on cloned partition not on flash

USE AT OWN RISK

-- This will remove ALL current data on you SD card --

AGAIN THIS IS FOR EITHER SLOT IN N800, AND ONLY WILL INSTALL TO INSTERNAL 2gb ON N810. iT WILL NOT CURRENTLY INSTALL TO N810 WITH A SD CARD (see special 810 external info at bottom).

YOU WILL NEED 20MB FREE IN FLASH BEFORE INSTALLING.

ONLY 1 SD CARD CAN BE INSERTED DURING INSTALL PROCESS. IF TWO ARE INSTALLED THE INSTALL WILL FAIL. REMOVE THE CARD and reinstall the DEB AND START AGAIN.

IF YOU COMPLETE THE INSTALL AND THE CLONE WONT BOOT, OR IF THE INSTALL FAILS. BOOT/REBOOT BACK TO FLASH AND RUN IT A SECOND TIME (LET IT UPDATE) THIS SHOULD FIX IT. SOME CARDS SEEM TO NEED TO BE REBOOTED BEFORE BEING USEFULL AFTER PARTITIONING

Go to penguinbait.com

right click on "INSTALL TOOLS"

"save target as" (SAVE FILE ON FLASH NOT ON SD CARD)

Save the file somewhere, open application manager and select "install from file" from the menu. Select the file you just saved.

Once the install completes, reboot for your new bootmenu and select your SD card on boot.

PLEASE SEND ME LOG FROM APPLICATION MANAGER IF YOU GET A FAILURE

Thanks everyone, especially Fanoush (As Usual)

This deb steals all Fanoushes great work and packs it up with some scripting for my uses. If you would like to reinstall initfs with different options please see link below to Fanoush's home page
http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/

For those who were asking, I created a N810 external slot version of the boot from SD deb.

Get it from http://penguinbait.com

"INSTALL TOOLS EXTERNAL 810 SLOT"

After install it can be uninstalled from both Flash and SD.

Supported Versions, (Not tested on 770)
Nokia 770 - IT2006 versions 1.2006.26-8, 2.2006.39-14, 3.2006.49-2, IT2007 hacker edition 2.2006.48-7, 4.2007.36-2
N800 - IT2007 versions 2.2006.51-6, 3.2007.10-7, 4.2007.26-8, 4.2007.38-2

N800,N810 - IT2008 versions 1.2007.42-18, 1.2007.42-19, 2.2007.50-2, 4.2008.23-14 (Diablo), 4.2008.30-2 (first Diablo update), 4.2008.36-5

TROUBLESHOOTING

MENU WILL NOT APPEAR
boot to flash and open xterm and become root and run the following command:
chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:flash
Instead of flash, you can also set the default boot image to be mmcX

mmc2 is partition 2 on internal
mmc3 is partition 3 on internal
mmc12 is partition 2 on external
mmc13 is partition 3 on external

Your menu will not display until you set it to ask:somthing then reboot.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-12-20 at 21:09.

The Following 74 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Is it also working with Os2007He?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Brilliant!

Easiest as it gets

One thing though , is bootmenu optional? I already have a modded copy installed

(This sounds easier than the clone scripts though, I had to run the script 5 times last time )

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Brilliant!

Easiest as it gets

One thing though , is bootmenu optional? I already have a modded copy installed

(This sounds easier than the clone scripts though, I had to run the script 5 times last time )
At the moment bootmenu will be installed along with this deb. Its made for a one stop shop to install.

That said perhaps I can alter the install to only install bootmenu if its not installed. But that may take a while before I get to it. You can install it even if you have bootmenu, but this will replace your custom install...
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rachid View Post
Is it also working with Os2007He?
Maybe 2008HE, but untested. I really need to get a 770 for testing...

Might want to edit the first post; unless I missed it, it doesn't come right out and say I will eat all data on your SD card! I assume that's true, since I guess you're not doing filesystem resizing, like a typical desktop distro's install. Which could confuse somebody, better to change it first...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Can't wait for the automated rotation kernel support deb installer

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
Can't wait for the automated rotation kernel support deb installer
I second the nomination!

OK guys, explain to me why I should do this?

I did just test this on KDE and I can't turn it sideways but upside down now works perfectly. nice

I went through the install and it was not that bad. I suppose a deb to install kernel and xomap would be nice. but again my install went perfectly

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Can't go sideways? is that a "KDE doesn't know what to do with 480px width"? or the display won't rotate at all?
I know XV doesn't work in portrait mode, but I'd have thought K would get by fine...

Tags
deprecated