Active Topics

I guess this could be in the manual (I still haven't got around to reading it yet!), but I only noticed today about how when you slide the 770 back into the case to protect the screen, it automatically goes into standby.

Colour me stupid, but up until now I'd been turning it on and off with the button on the top all the time. D'oh!

Very clever stuff - I've been sliding it in and out for quite a while now, trying to work out how it's doing it (something to do with the little metal contact at the bottom no doubt).

A superb piece of design!

Originally Posted by twohe
A superb piece of design!
I've been trying to see how it works as well. There doesn't seem to be a mechanical switch.

Might be magnets. The Anoto/Logitech/Nokia etc digital pens turn on and off this way.

And it plays a sound. That's the important bit!

Has anybody found a way to put it in standby without sliding the cover? Turning it on/off each time takes too long! I just want to have it on the table and use it immediately to see what's on the tele with the online KiSS tv guide.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hants, UK
Originally Posted by gristle
Might be magnets. The Anoto/Logitech/Nokia etc digital pens turn on and off this way.
Yup, you are correct! I didn't have a magnet to hand so I waved it next to the fridge door and it went out when moving the button side over the door seal.

I looked closely at the case and there is a slight pattern where the magnet must be.

Gareth

There's a small discussion about that 'secret sensor' over at maemo-users:

http://maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-use...er/000099.html

The device will go into standby when the cover is slid back on but it's nit doing a whole lot to save battery power. If you know you aren't going to use it for a while it would be better to power it off.

Zorglub, the Control Panel has an option to set the standyby time. Basically if the device goes inactive for a specified period of time the device goes into standby mode.

Foulplay, what does standby mode entail?

From the message dialog that appears when you take off the cover, as well as the screen going off there's some key and touch screen locking but is that all?

Standby disables the screen, backlight display, and the bluetooth and wi-fi transmitters. This does help in battery conservation but not as much as powering the device off completely.

The battery will drain after about 3 days or so if left in standby after a full charge. With the device turned off there is nearly no drain at all.