Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
no,no,no... i know he mean this:
http://www.judgepads.com/oldjpad/dive/JPADCloseup.JPG

by the way...
Jolla Tablet ..... jPad? i dont read ANY Pad in the Jolla Tablet!
please stop call the phone and tablet as jphone, jpad!
Seems to be common theme for all JPads in this thread to lack stylus and 3G. Jolla tablet fits right in. What is that last wireless judge pad aka JPad...Some kind of a Scanner?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-25 at 21:21.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
dont know dave, maybe a wireless calculator ?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
dont know dave, maybe a wireless calculator ?
Yes. Could be. I need a calc since it's a bug in windows calc can't be trusted. It can't get correct sum for 10*10+10*10

Yeah, guess I've just been too much alienated since I didn't connect the dots when I wrote it :/

If I understand correctly, the OP mean some kind of BLUETOOTH CONNECTED stylus, that measures press sensitivity, thus ignoring one of the major drawbacks of capacitive screens (lack of pressure sensitivity measuring).

So, in conclusion, it makes crappy capacitive screens of marginally useful consuming-oriented devices, likeJpad Jolla Tablet or iPad, into something more suited for creating stuff.

As pichlo pointed out, drawing tablets (PC peripheral devices) were always using capacitive touch zone detection + styluses connected with cable/wireless to measure pressure sensitivity. So, in setup proposed by OP, we replace cable with bluetooth, and use the *pad as a peripheral device (drawing tablet) capacitive detection zone. Sounds doable.

The above is meant to clear the zillion confusions that appeared in this thread (or at least I hope so). By the way, all of this BT pens stuff wouldn't be needed, if Jolla wouldn't decide to do their tablet a device so similar to iPad (which makes the term Jpad not as unjustified as some are trying to insist), and opt on using resistive screen instead, which is both precise and can measure pressure sensitivity natively with *any* stylus, including the ones custom made for drawing (like CreativeTone uses in famous thread). Of course, N900 can do it for AGES.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
By the way, all of this BT pens stuff wouldn't be needed, if Jolla wouldn't decide to do their tablet a device so similar to iPad (which makes the term Jpad not as unjustified as some are trying to insist), and opt on using resistive screen instead, which is both precise and can measure pressure sensitivity natively with *any* stylus, including the ones custom made for drawing (like CreativeTone uses in famous thread). Of course, N900 can do it for AGES.
Now correct me if I am wrong here, but I think there are several different kinds of resistive-feedback-type touch screens.

I have been told that the type used in N900 is one of the good ones, that it is precise, does not need much force and is good to look at (clear, not easily scratched, good transparency)

I only have experience on the other kind of touchscreens, like one I had in my 5230; it was very imprecise, you had to press very hard for it to register, it was opaque like muddy water and scratched easily to boot

Now, today as every manufacturer uses only capacitive screens, do you think that the better-quality-resistive screens are even available any longer? And even if they are, I'd hazard a guess you cannot get them in the size/shape that'd fit the Jolla tablet
Bear in mind that Jolla cannot go very far with customizing the device, not at that price point; they really have to select from components already available on the manufacturer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
by the way...
Jolla Tablet ..... jPad? i dont read ANY Pad in the Jolla Tablet!
And let's cover also this angle before somebody gets there, also jTab is taken:
http://i.tabletmaniak.pl/2011/08/jtab-1-medium.jpg

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Thought stylus was the subject of this thread. And not a innocent nickname used rarely every now and then. But hey, it's just me.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@juiceme, my last smartphone before the N900 was Palm Treo 600. I would argue that its resistive touchscreen was even better than the N900's. Pity it did not have WiFi, otherwise I would have never switched. My introduction to WiFi enabled mobile devices was a cheap 7" Android tablet bought on eBay straight from China. Also with a very good resistive touchscreen. Shame the rest of it was total cr@p and it almost put me off mobile computing until I found the N900.

The former device was made in 2004, the latter in 2012. I would find it hard to believe Jolla could not find good 7-8" resistive touchscreens if they tried. I think the key is the "tried" bit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@juiceme
You are right about quality of resistive screens.
Then ones of 5230, N97 et al were so bad (and at all Nokia came so late into the game of touch with symbian) they made me almost leave Nokia behind and switch again to another brand.
But fortunately the N900 came and all was forgiven (until Elop ).

Check out yours and you will recognize immediately!
(just a hint: if you are going to use the stylus a lot put a screen protector on, a good one, 5€ upwards, Brando Ultra Clear)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, sailfish, stylus, tablet