Closed Thread
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
@dirkvl

Would a N950 device help you to look into such mechanism?

Originally Posted by captainofiron View Post
that hinge mechanism really reminds me of the N97

I loved that design, the keyboard was so so, but they way it would open and rotate over and end up at an incline and not parallel to the keyboard In my opinion was very cool

keep it up man
yeah that's cause they stole it from the N97 lol. I thought it was good on the N97 too, just didn't like that it was basically held up on one side. The improvement with the Nokia E7 hinge was a much better implementation. Much more solid.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by wout.martens View Post
@dirkvl

Would a N950 device help you to look into such mechanism?
Although the N950 is awesome, I don't think that the hinge mechanism is available for purchase, so that would be a useless venture. N97/E7 would be better!

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
OK will see what i can do for you on the requested devices

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wout.martens For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Okay, that Desire Z hinge is causing a lot of troubles..

The point is this: no matter what, the hinge is 9 mm thick. So either the whole case will be 9 mm thick, or you have two bulges of 3.5mm sticking out of the bottom...
http://oi42.tinypic.com/2gydlyd.jpg

I love the feel of the hinge, but 9mm extra or two bulges is not acceptable for me..
maybe we/you should define a max. increase in thickness and then we'll look into how to achieve that... problem with available hinges from other phones might be that they are designed to be integrated into the phone-body, while you would simply need a mechanism that connects one other half to another other half...

edit: this just made me realize one thing: your KB has to be light and possibly there is not much sense in using a very high-level mechanism... the base of the kb-toh will be something quite similar to an original toh and it will be made out of some sort of plastic i guess... the mechanism will be integrated into this toh but it will be only as sturdy as the base toh is... that said: a mechanism that kind of snaps the phone-part in an angled position while you hold on tot the keyboard will stress that base a lot more than a mechanism that allows you to somehow move the kb while holding the heavier phone part... does that make any sense?

Last edited by egnat69; 2014-01-17 at 13:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to egnat69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by egnat69 View Post
problem with available hinges from other phones might be that they are designed to be integrated into the phone-body, while you would simply need a mechanism that connects one other half to another other half...
yes totally, this is the cause of all problems!

Originally Posted by egnat69 View Post
does that make any sense?
that makes sense. the issue of stresses from the hinge on the case -depending on the hinge- will weaken the part and will thus increase its thickness!

new idea:

i've been looking into the bluetooth keyboard i bought. the hinge slides and then rotates (like the htc touch pro 2) and i think i've found a way to make that one work.

pro's:
-thin (+-5mm increase)
-slide + rotate (so also nice kickstand)
-40mm travel, so a lot of keyboard area (40x131mm)

cons:
-lot of exposed parts on the back (wires, slider, maybe part of pcb)
-hinge only available as part of complete keyboard

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-01-17 at 14:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
i'd say go for that ... if it works, there are a couple of ways to cover those exposed parts in the final spec (at least visually)... the white keyboard is awfull though ;D ... keep up that good work!

First iteration:

-2 PCB'2
-200mm ffc flat cable
-quite complex parts
-4.5mm increase in thickness

With transparency:

Quite happy with this first design. Few point where the material is really thin, but good enough for now!

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-01-17 at 23:54.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Honestly, i like this last solution a lot!! It seems to me much more elegant, movements are rather simpler and needs of mechanical parts are less than before!
Really well done!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_pcb_designer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Looks nice. Should give a test-print for this..

Two things did came to my mind;
  • Check center of gravity if it is intended to stand up on a desk, so it won't tip over. All weight is now on the phone side.
  • In sliding mechanisms, there should be suitable 'ratio' between two lengths (green/blue) to prevent it from getting stuck.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty