Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Is Jolla involved with Nokias new announcement regarding they will start producing phones "soon" :P

http://www.inquisitr.com/2815811/nok...-phones-soon/?
ROTFL, why on earth do they think they can come back on mobile market.

And no ofcourse it will not be SFOS. It will just be some random Android garbage.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Is Jolla involved with Nokias new announcement regarding they will start producing phones "soon" :P

http://www.inquisitr.com/2815811/nok...-phones-soon/?
Nah, they just licensed their trademark.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
We do still want them to succeed and for Sailfish to still be around though, don't we guys?
Can I say 'No' without a mob with pitch forks?

That sounds harsh, and I've re-typed this a few times, but I'm not convinced Jolla are good parents for Sailfish. Sailfish needs nourishing not a diet of gruel.

I would imagine trying to convince excellent technical staff to join a company so understaffed and so under funded with recent 'death valleys' would be extremely challenging. If I was an applicant I'd be asking more questions than I was being asked.

Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Difficulties finding suitable people are not that uncommon, Jolla is special in sense that they cannot afford to train new people to do stuff and really qualified people cost money and may be hard to attract. Especially given the last developments that have tarnished the company's reputation quite a bit.
I would say many FOSS/Linux people is not that money hungry. Or maybe I am wrong?

However it seems to risky start work at Jolla if you already have a work.

If I had more Qt skills and better in english and was out of job (or sick of my current position) I may have take this chance, even if it bit high risk.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Can I say 'No' without a mob with pitch forks?

That sounds harsh, and I've re-typed this a few times, but I'm not convinced Jolla are good parents for Sailfish. Sailfish needs nourishing not a diet of gruel.

I would imagine trying to convince excellent technical staff to join a company so understaffed and so under funded with recent 'death valleys' would be extremely challenging. If I was an applicant I'd be asking more questions than I was being asked.
I'm not sure you're really saying no if you still want Sailfish to succeed, but that's a reasonable middle ground. I can't see how it could get any better nourished if Jolla were to fold though. Most likely it would die like those projects you see that get adopted by Apache.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I'm not sure you're really saying no if you still want Sailfish to succeed, but that's a reasonable middle ground. I can't see how it could get any better nourished if Jolla were to fold though. Most likely it would die like those projects you see that get adopted by Apache.
I strongly support Jolla until something else better comes along...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I strongly support Jolla until something else better comes along...
Given that they fully refund all backers?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I would say many FOSS/Linux people is not that money hungry. Or maybe I am wrong?

However it seems to risky start work at Jolla if you already have a work.

If I had more Qt skills and better in english and was out of job (or sick of my current position) I may have take this chance, even if it bit high risk.
They maybe not, but they still need them to feed themselves/families and "to support tablet failing campaigns".
As well as Jolla is based on FOSS and some parts are open - they still are not FOSS, thus it should be not FOSS/Linux guys but as Jolla says "blah blah open blah blah open open blah blah unlike"

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Given that they fully refund all backers?
No. I believe in unconditional love...

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
No. I believe in unconditional love...
reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwZAa2EjKA

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund