Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
That's not very surprising, given it was an early tablet UI preview. However:
  • it shows what the intentions were
  • there is no technical reason that would limit it to Qt apps only, since Lipstick can already handle non-Qt apps (like sfdroid)
  • if the idea of partner spaces will ever take off and be released and used by 'partners' (which I myself doubt), it will need to have the ability to pin Android apps. Whoever thinks that 'partners' will develop native applications with current SailfishOS market penetration, or that Jolla will do it for them with their current financial situation, is a fool
  • my original comment was based on what the original plans were (which can be seen in the videos and from subsequent announcements) - if the 'partner space' ends up being something completely different, then be it. It will make sense calling people out for not understanding what partner space is once the final implementation is released - go for it then.

Sorry, I won't waste time researching up to date arguments for/against a service I don't care for (and it's off-topic here). We can continue over PM, if you feel like it.
Their attitude towards 3rd party clients is enough for me to avoid it, but if you feel like using a service that is available for free thanks to the pure altruism of its owner, then go for it!
If you know a way to set window property for window without qt it will be awesome, really.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
  • it shows what the intentions were
To fool people?

Sorry, I won't waste time researching up to date arguments for/against a service I don't care for
That does not seem to stop you campaigning against them

(Disclaimer: I don't care for them either.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That does not seem to stop you campaigning against them

(Disclaimer: I don't care for them either.)
Fair enough The thing is, the signature was created a long time ago, most likely even before Whatsapp was bought by Facebook - I have thought of changing/removing it since then, as I didn't think many people read signatures. This discussion proved me wrong so I think it is still good to keep it, as it is at least some food for though for discussions. When I created the signature, the security issues were quite visible (for example the sole knowledge of a one's phone number and IMEI or MAC address allowed for signing in to the person's account) and even if they might have changed, I still would not trust the service with respect to security.

I am actually glad that sfdroid now exists, so people won't need to throw money at native solutions that must lead a non-stop fight against the service they're supporting. Instead, talented developers, could use their time and crowdfunded incentives to work on other projects (like coderus has finally done with Mitaakuuluu, AFAIK).

Originally Posted by coderus
<a comment about the partner space I cannot easily quote on Jolla >
Does that mean that there is no way Lipstick can recognize non-Qt apps from each other? That is a genuine question (I may learn something new after all) - if so, then it is a clear disadvantage that reaches beyond the problem of partner space.

As I see it, the original concept that was shown off at MWC was pretty much the equivalent of virtual desktops on KDE/Gnome/Unity/... - all apps are shown on the task switcher, except for one that has its own virtual desktop, aka partner space (or more, as the last release introduced support for multiple partner spaces). In KWin (even under Wayland), I can create a rule that will always put one particular app on a particular desktop/activity, no matter if it is Qt5 or not. KWin is clearly more advanced (read 'bloated', for mobile use) than Lipstick, but it shouldn't be impossible to implement it even if it is not currently available.

Last edited by nodevel; 2016-02-07 at 19:38.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Yes this is the correct way to launch it. But you can also start it via the icon in the app drawer .
I did my first install on a secondary sim-card. At that time I couldn't make phone calls or use dataplan on my main sim-card. After a fresh installation it's not possible to launch sfdroid from the application icon. You need to reboot the system or login to localhost. It does work smooth without power cable attached after wiping all the data and a factory reset. Now zypper is asking for a jolla store login password that fails all the time. I don't know what that is.

Last edited by jellyroll; 2016-02-07 at 23:58.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I don't know anything about this "partner spaces" stuff, but there's no problem at all if it "requires a Qt window", since, well, this could be done using Qt too. Doesn't look like a problem, tbh.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
the only problem with this is that in the settings of sailfish the mobile internet and the internet tethering disappear and thats annoying. but other than that its really good

Originally Posted by ghosalc01 View Post
the only problem with this is that in the settings of sailfish the mobile internet and the internet tethering disappear and thats annoying. but other than that its really good
No they don't. The settings in Android they are removed to avoid Sailfish and Android from fighting each other for a WiFi connection, Mobile Internet just didn't work, but is removed anyway in case we get it working at a later date, and the same issue occurs (with them fighting over for access). Nothing happens in the Sailfish settings as far as I've tested.

The Following User Says Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ghosalc01 View Post
thanks for the feedback, i know that they disappear (sometimes) on mako and i am trying to find the cause

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
I think that sfdroid could allready be named as one of the best apps for the year 2016. Keep on developing on it and test it everyday so you can send feedbacks to the developers. Sfdroid offers alot for many.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 318 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Switzerland
I did a fresh sailfishos beta0 installation on multirom including an upgrade to 2.0.0.10 'saimaa' yesterday on my N5 and wanted to try sfdroid v0.8.
Unfortunatelly I cannot run it (SDL2 is installed and 'devel-su usermod -G net_bt_stack -a nemo' done). As mentioned by someone in a post above, I only get the spinning cyanogenmod logo and nothing else.

It's hard for me to investigate the problem. What I can tell you is that I get purple colered distorted boot screen when booting sailfishos. Afterwards I get a normal lipstick session, but using 'top' via a ssh console, I see a 'bootanimation' process that eats between 90-100% of CPU constantly, even not having started sfdroid, and a 'zygote' process also going rather high...

I do not now what I am doing wrong, as most of you do not seem to have such problems...

Greets and thanks for your hard work on sfdroid

Minimec

The Following User Says Thank You to minimec For This Useful Post:

Tags
apkenv