Notices

Version 10-1 (also in extras-testing) fixes the rerun bug and adds a dbus dependency to support users who have not installed other python apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikaelh For This Useful Post:
Thank you for this awesome application! Any plans for future features? How about continuing/keeping/deleting partial downloads?

YLE subtitles for streaming still seems beyond solution, but subtitles for watching while downloading should work - and be essentially the same thing as streaming. Think I will start with that small change.

Then pausing and resuming downloads is something I have been missing lately, but clearly more work, so that would be next.

Version 11-1 adds support for resuming cancelled downloads.

Cancelled downloads are shown with the "broken picture" symbol (see the screenshot), and will resume download from where they left off. You can delete partial downloads with the normal delete option. You can take a shortcut to resuming a particular partial download by clicking on the "broken picture" symbol.

11-1 also removes the option of watching while downloading as it has been dangerously unstable on my phone. YLE subtitles for streaming is now on hold until I can understand what changes TVKaista is making to the subtitle handling - hopefully burning them on the shows.
Attached Images

Ok, TVKaista is now putting YLE subtitles directly on the picture for all the converted formats - i.e. no need for separate subtitle files for the formats that are usable on N900.

Thus, subtitles for streaming now available, and no need to install the Subtitles Support package.

Oops. 12-1 fixes a stupid error that prevented downloads.

Thanks for exiting application - as daily TV kaista / Linux Mint (Miro) user, this is what I have been waiting for while traveling (as too lazy to make effort (e.g. copy) to have things on mobile).

Few questions / proposals:
- When updating, please add indicator that update still ongoing (at slow 2G connection update takes so much time I wondered if crashed, (keep yellow bar on..).
- How to clean old list - would be nice to have "reset all" as I made first update with very long "sarjat"-list (at my tvkaista account). 100 pcs Kids Simpsons now listed and cant get rid of them....
- Local search "paikallinen - haut" is only for local or also for server? If for server, would be good to have "disable server serier".
- Have you considered auto-loading / auto-delete (so I could have 9:30pm news automatically on my N900 when going to office).
- Simple user manual avail? Do I have to add. interestred ones to "Sarjat" to be able to dowenload them?

Ja Intian elävä kiittää...

Thanks a lot for active feedback.

Manual, yes, would be good. Any volunteers with good writing skills and a wiki site? I guess could use the wiki here as well.

A quick and dirty way to clean the program list is to change the download format (you can then change it back without downloading anything). I did implement a quick list-cleaning option, but there were some problems with that, need to make another try.

Indicator that the download is really progressing is problematic, because it is hard (for me, at least) to detect that the bits are really flowing. I could try decreasing the block size a bit and add some kind of a rotating indicator... Not a big priority, though, at the moment.

Local list of keyword searches is local to the device and not stored on the server, while of course searches are made against the programs stored on the server. I personally do not use the server-side list at all anymore, but rely on the keyword searches to find all the shows I am interested in. (So no, you do not need to have any shows picked to your personal lists on the server in order to be able to download them.)

Option for disabling updating the information based on server settings sounds like a good idea. Would essentially enable two different sets of searches, one for computer use and another for the phone.

Regarding auto-downloads: I have been avoiding those, considering the not-always-connected device and potential data fees some people might have. In my experience with other similar appications, these tend to be more trouble than they are worth - Leaving home? Need to check first if I have some programs downloading...

Auto-delete sounds like a nice idea. I am assuming you would like the downloaded file to be deleted as soon that it has been watched to the end?

Moi,

And sorry that I did not read carefully 1st page of this title (or you have made it better last night).

# Retrieves information about shows matching free text search items entered on the device. These keyword searches are persistent and can act as a local favourites list, separate from the ones on the server.
- - - - -

some kind of a rotating indicator
Great and enough

Option for disabling updating the information based on server settings sounds like a good idea. Would essentially enable two different sets of searches, one for computer use and another for the phone.
Excatly as in my case. Also enables 2+ N900s in in same family...

Regarding auto-downloads: I have been avoiding those
I just tought that e.g. each local search could be activated as "auto". If I leave home too early, you already have "broken download", which seems to work nicely. Anyhow of diff., no worry

Auto-delete sounds like a nice idea. I am assuming you would like the downloaded file to be deleted as soon that it has been watched to the end?
OK for me, but you could also ask after full show "Should I keep this one for future : Yes/No" (default "No")

Last edited by Eko_taas; 2010-11-16 at 03:44.

Manual, yes, would be good. Any volunteers with good writing skills and a wiki site? I guess could use the wiki here as well.
For me your application looks so easy, that wiki is too much. I'll assume finnish would do.... Even 1page pdf-for-dummies on 1st title would have worked for me (one of those).

If you do all changes, I might have learned enough for making FI-draft as OpenOffice/pdf (wiki is not for me).