Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by sd69 View Post
let me be clear. We are not asking that these components of diablo are opened up so that they can be used in fremantle. If nokia wanted the stylus keyboard (or any other component) to be in fremantle, it would be in fremantle already and we are not trying to circumvent that decision.
booooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following User Says Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Let me be clear. We are not asking that these components of Diablo are opened up so that they can be used in Fremantle. If Nokia wanted the stylus keyboard (or any other component) to be in Fremantle, it would be in Fremantle already and we are not trying to circumvent that decision. Opening up will allow us to troubleshoot and support Diablo, extending the useful life of N8x0 tablets and Diablo to the community.

See
http://wiki.maemo.org/Diablo_Community_Project
Sorry, I did not mean to circumvent any decisions of the UI design team of Fremantle, though a stylus keyboard as a Community addon, would be a welcome addition.

Also since extended support for N8x0 devices, is mostly going to be provided by Mer, opening the source of the stylus keyboard, would be a tremendous boost to the usefulness of the devices, especially the N800.

It would also be useful even in Diablo itself, to add more features to it, for example; tweaking the word completion, or dictionaries, or adding a whole bunch of other useful plugins.

Also then instead of making the Arabic keyboard a whole other input method, if we had the source then those languages might be able to be added directly into the original one.

Last edited by iKneaDough; 2009-10-07 at 00:41. Reason: some grammar corrections

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by iKneaDough View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to circumvent any decisions of the UI design team of Fremantle, though a stylus keyboard as a Community addon, would be a welcome addition.
No problem, all's good.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Back to the original topic, I've been having a hard time making a request. Reasons:
1. I'm not a Linux developer and will have very limited ability to do anything myself.
2. It's hard to figure out what functionality is associated with closed source packages. Thanks, lma for that link, but I'll still make mistakes.
3. These FiF bugs that bother me... some of them could be fixed by simply using third-party apps instead. I don't have any special affinity to the built-in apps EXCEPT that they automatically tie together. File Manager launches media player not (insert name of third party program). Would it be more productive to allow users to specify which default program is launched (assuming this is even possible) for a specific file type and just ditch the closed-source apps? Would that kill off a whole slew of problems?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
on 3, look into dbus-switchboard...

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Is there a list of what things are and aren't opened up from Diablo? (and if there's a schedule to open up more of them once Freemantle and the N900 are released)

Not just software, but also look&feel type stuff (icons and logos from the basic UI themes, etc.)?

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Is there a list of what things are and aren't opened up from Diablo? (and if there's a schedule to open up more of them once Freemantle and the N900 are released)
Are you talking about something other than this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Are you talking about something other than this?
Well, the list you linked to seems incomplete, as it doesn't contain the stylus keyboard (unless it's under some name I can't decode like osso-libXXX). And that omission makes me think the list may be even more incomplete.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i would agree that the keyboard seems to be missing from said list...

Apparently nobody cared if it was open source as long as it was there, it was that good :-)

Tags
god initiative, good initiative, open source, stylus keyboard