@ade, no, they must be in /boot. But you can store it in /opt and make symlink to /boot

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
You need also loopback device to flash locally.

Correct script is shown here : http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1102
Tried that. Got something rather odd:

sysinfo: Phone info (block phone-info) read failed (-1)
CMT: cannot open phonet0: no such device
Waiting for messages...

And it just hangs there.

Modprobe phonet (before everything else comes up) doesn't seem to do anything.

Edit 1: Apparently modprobe phonet0 doesn't actually create the phonet interface in /dev. Any clue how that's created?

Edit 2: Seems like you can just bring up the interface via ifconfig. Will try that when I get back.

Edit 3: Doesn't help. It just complains "No such device", even with the phonet module loaded..

Edit 4: I just got a copy of a u-boot bootable Backupmenu, and by studying its interface file, I think I might have a shadow of a clue on how to get phonet0 to start - apparently loading g_nokia and then configuring USB networking might do it. Not sure, though.

Edit 5: I apparently forgot to read through the scripts again. There's a netif-up script in /lib/phonet-utils which might do the trick.

Edit 6: That didn't work either. netif-up phonet0 gave me "Interface phonet0 not found". Loading g_nokia didn't help either.

Edit 7:
Got a few more errors after mounting sysfs and such:
CAL ERROR: open(/dev/mtd1): no such device.

Edit 8: I have a feeling I might not be able to fix this without fixing the USB port, sadly (which will be a while - I don't have access to a soldering iron, and won't for a few months - and it hasn't actually broken off yet, which slightly complicates things). The bootable backupmenu image does have a working (as far as I can tell) phonet0, but chrooting into a Maemo rootfs or trying to replicate its setup might be quite complex - and then it might not be able to open mtd1, which would be another complication.

Edit 9: Noticed another module I missed: omap_ssi. Maybe this will help?

Edit 10: So apparently inserting g_softupd (and skipping g_nokia) got me slightly further. I don't have the issues with phonet0 anymore. Unfortunately, I still get sysinfo: Phone info (block phone-info) read failed (-1) and CAL ERROR: open(/dev/mtd1): no such device, followed by a hang at Waiting for Messages.

Edit 11: In regards to MTD: does the hardware require some kind of offset to it be passed by kernel paramters? I've noticed something here:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...ry/034078.html

Edit 12: Found something odd. In U-Boot, executing the command "mtdparts" (which is supposed to list the MTD partitions available) gives me "onenand: partitioning exceeds flash size".

Edit 13: There is definitely something wrong with U-Boot here. Somehow, mtdparts thinks that the size of onenand0 is 0. Therefore, any partition would be "too large".

Edit 14: Oddly enough, I'm able to read from any offset, though trying to specify size doesn't work, as it will just complain that I'm trying to read more than the chip size. Not specifying size, it just crashes. Trying to get it to dump a page from any offset also crashes U-Boot.

Edit 15: Checked dmesg messages. Interesting part relating to onenand:
omap2-onenand omap2-onenand: initializing on XS0, phys base 0x20000000, virtual base d1040000
onenand_wait: timeout! state 23 ctrl 0x0000 intr 0x8080
OneNAND Manufacturer: Unknown (0xa0)

Last edited by aeon_light; 2012-09-12 at 21:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon_light For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
It already exists: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=915
The link on that page is dead. Could possibly somebody reupload. Thanks. I wish I know how to make initfs / uboot version of backupmenu myself :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon_light For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Coimbatore, India
@Any friend

I need ur help pl! I followed the entire process in First Post. I have KPV51 with CSSU-Thumb3. I installed kernel-power-bootimg also. I also ensured that whether it is available in /etc/bootmenu.d. Then I tried to reboot. All entries are displayed: KP51, Omap1, Omap1-fb, Nemo, Nitdroid, Kubuntu.

I am unable to boot into maemo KP51! When I boot nemo for the first time, it worked from sdboot. But later when I tried again to boot into nemo, it failed.

And when I connect to the charger I am getting a boot loo..

I am not a advanced user. Pl help ASAP!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bharathkumarst; 2012-10-04 at 10:23.

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by bharathkumarst View Post
I am unable to boot into maemo KP51! When I boot nemo for the first time, it worked from sdboot. But later when I tried again to boot into nemo, it failed.
If you have a backup of all your data - try reflsashing the phone. Or use flasher on the PC to try booting into some kernel.
Also, try #maemo or #maemo-ssu IRC channels at freenode.

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Coimbatore, India
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
If you have a backup of all your data - try reflsashing the phone.
thanks a lot. Fortunately i had backup. and hence i reflashed again for the fourth time within 3 days...!

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Or use flasher on the PC to try booting into some kernel.
Also, try #maemo or #maemo-ssu IRC channels at freenode.
sorry i am not an advanced user. So i do not understand what have u suggested. is ther any post that is in detail to do these? thanks in advance.

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Lithuania
Originally Posted by bharathkumarst View Post
sorry i am not an advanced user. So i do not understand what have u suggested. is ther any post that is in detail to do these? thanks in advance.
http://webchat.freenode.net/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nobless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Scotland
I seem to be having the same problem as mongrol was: It finds the kernel then says "Starting kernel ...", hangs for about 30 seconds then switches off.

Mongrol's solution was to install uboot 4-1 instead of 4-2. Is there anywhere I can find the 4-1 packages to install?

thanks

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Lithuania
Originally Posted by 15jamie20 View Post
I seem to be having the same problem as mongrol was: It finds the kernel then says "Starting kernel ...", hangs for about 30 seconds then switches off.

Mongrol's solution was to install uboot 4-1 instead of 4-2. Is there anywhere I can find the 4-1 packages to install?

thanks
Read last few pages it was posted already in this thread.

Pali, if you have free time could you check your last realised 4-2 version, because there is really something wrong with that version, many people can't boot with mentioned version, while with 4-1 everything works fine.
Also, if you not going to fix it then can you add 4-1 version to first post. Thanks.

Last edited by Nobless; 2012-10-13 at 16:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nobless For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot