Posts: 34 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Germany
I have a Nokia 770 but no WLAN
I'd like to know what kind of wireless router or access point do you use together with your Nokia 770?
How well does it work for you and what is the range?
Maybe we can get a survey of suitable equipment.

Is anybody using the Netgear WG102 access point?

I'm using a noname 11g router without any problem.
I've use a Netgear 11b router and some kind of pc as wifi-gateway tool, all without problems.

Not having much joy with my Linksys WAG54G (ADSL router). Range is ok but it keeps dropping the link after a few minutes of use and the only way to recover is to apply a change or give it the finger.

Have to ask guys - does that smiley auto insert after typing Nokia 770 ? what do u know, it looks like it does.

Originally Posted by Jus
Not having much joy with my Linksys WAG54G (ADSL router). Range is ok but it keeps dropping the link after a few minutes of use and the only way to recover is to apply a change or give it the finger.
I have Linksys WRT54G and had same symptoms too but no more. Done following:
- found that 770's WLAN has no droppings if 770 is nearer than 2 meters from WRT54G. (Unfortunately I don't remember all the Mode settings I tried.)
- updated WRT54G's firmware but no improvements
- updated 770's Nokia software: WLAN droppings disappeared
- but there is still a limitation: droppings appear if I use "G-only" setting to WRT54G Network Mode and disappear if I use "Mixed" setting. This means that 770 uses B-mode instead of G-mode which thus seems to be too fast for 770. But no worry, B-mode is 11 Mbps and good broadband is e.g. 1 Mbps, so the speed bottle neck is the broadband.

Originally Posted by Maerra
I have Linksys WRT54G and had same symptoms too but no more. Done following:.
Sounds like you have a more stable Linksys unit than i have. I'd tried all the steps you did but still the connection would drop. Had same problem when using other kit which rules out it been a problem with the 770.

Picked up a Netgear DG834GT earlier and so far am much happier. Signal strength is as good as the Linksys and i've not had any connection problems....so far.

Originally Posted by Jus
And you're running 45-7 ?

Originally Posted by Samuel
And you're running 45-7 ?
I am, and since replacing with the Netgear I've not had any problems.