Originally Posted by Texrat View Post

EDIT: and guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you'll really need to be patient another week or so for a lot of the madness to be sorted out. A LOT of people are on holiday (self included).
That's really crappy business practice. I work for a freaking K-12 school district. We have 10 people in the IT department, only 3 of them work on the servers. We support somewhere around 9000 computers. Our web servers are expected to be up 7 days a week 365 days a year. I think the longest I've ever seen any of out outside visible web servers down was about 5 hours. If something breaks, someone gets called in. Doesn't matter if they're on vacation or not. Nokia is a multi-billion dollar company. Why the hell didn't they have some one on call. Especially right after a new firmware release.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Does anyone have any sales figures for internet tablets?

Because i'm sure there's not that many people affected by this.. Not enough for nokia to care anyway

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by L11 View Post

Because i'm sure there's not that many people affected by this.. Not enough for nokia to care anyway
It has their name on it...

BTW, it was listed as the #2 "computer" sold by Amazon this holiday season.

Prior to the 810 we have seen 300,000 N800's reported here by Nokia reps . That would be in 10 months time without any holiday sales.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
That's really crappy business practice. I work for a freaking K-12 school district. We have 10 people in the IT department, only 3 of them work on the servers. We support somewhere around 9000 computers. Our web servers are expected to be up 7 days a week 365 days a year. I think the longest I've ever seen any of out outside visible web servers down was about 5 hours. If something breaks, someone gets called in. Doesn't matter if they're on vacation or not. Nokia is a multi-billion dollar company. Why the hell didn't they have some one on call. Especially right after a new firmware release.
You guys have a right to be irritated, and publicly express your ire, but I'm not sure many have any idea what the maemo folks have had to deal with... and I can't share it, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, Barry, but the complaints really need to be elevated. However, I recognize that you see it as a business issue which means I'm sure you also recognize where the buck really stops.

Originally Posted by L11 View Post

"Not that many" is a relative term.

Out of total sales of cell phones, you're right: tablets are still a minor slice and very likely receive a fairly proportionate amount of attention. Heck, that can be broken down categorically and still remain true.

Since Nokia has officially acknowledged that the 770 was a geek experiment and the N800 just a refined version of that experiment, I think I'm okay to speak to this subject. The tablets need to hit critical mass before they appear on all the right radar screens-- not just externally but internally as well. While Nokia is definitely a big enough company to support its many products, that bigness can be a hinderance-- especially where new, novel products are concerned.

Now that the N810 cracks the incubator lid open, things WILL be changing for the better. You guys are just now seeing critical mass form. Given Nokia's [understatement] methodical [/understatement] approach to new markets, it may perc a little longer before it "explodes".

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure many have any idea what the maemo folks have had to deal with... and I can't share it, unfortunately.
Textrat, as I customer who paid 400 bucks for the device I don't care and I don't have to care for what the maemo folks have had to deal with. I just want to upgrade my tablet and install every available and advertised software piece, and that should work. But it doesn't.

It's their fault no matter what. Period.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
You guys have a right to be irritated, and publicly express your ire, but I'm not sure many have any idea what the maemo folks have had to deal with... and I can't share it, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, Barry, but the complaints really need to be elevated. However, I recognize that you see it as a business issue which means I'm sure you also recognize where the buck really stops.

That's the problem, as well, Texrat. How exactly do we "elevate" our complaints? For 80% of Tablet users, ITT is the best place for them to be to voice complaints. I've blogged my open feelings, and others have expressed them elsewhere, but I don't get the feeling that anyone from Nokia really listens/reads. Is there somewhere specific we should be emailing/posting our frustrations, for maximum effectiveness?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by amigokin View Post
It's their fault no matter what. Period.
Well, no, not really. If management isn't going to give you the resources to handle your userbase, what are you going to do? Pay for better servers out of your own pocket?

This is a Nokia fumble, not a maemo fumble.

Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
Is there somewhere specific we should be emailing/posting our frustrations, for maximum effectiveness?
Nokia Support, call 'em up and file a complaint.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
General, you are such a welcome presence here.

EDIT: Ricky, I have an internal blog that I'm using to convey user frustration. In that respect, posts here DO some good: I use them as material (sanitized of course ) in my blog. The right people get invites to new articles and occasionally even read them.

I am assembling ideas for a "reboot" of that languishing blog in January.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-12-27 at 21:59.

Originally Posted by This is a [i
Nokia[/i] fumble, not a maemo fumble.
I would agree with this. I'm sure the folks directly connected with Maemo are chagrined, to say the least, by this FUBAR situation. That said, we all know what rolls downhill, right?

Personally, I think that pitchforks and torches are called for.

Tags
extras