Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Hi,
I've read that the 770 would accept 1GB memory Card.
The only format available with this size is RS-MMC but MMC Mobile is faster IF the reader is capable ...
can the card reader in the Nokia 770 sustain the top speed of MMC Mobile & would it really make a difference ?
Should I go for the speedier smaller sized MMC Mobile or for the (?) slower bigger RS MMC ?

Thanks
Fred

on the nokia purchase page, under "suggested accessories for the Nokia 770" i saw an MMC-Mobile Card, so it *Should* Support it, as far as a noticable increase in speed, i dont know

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Just got an 'Integral' brand MMC Mobile for my 770 - it says "Compatible with RS-MMC" on the blister pack.

Plugged it in and moved the Ice Age 2 trailer to the card (took about 15 secs to move the 8MB file).

Now that I have the movie playing off the card (as I type this ), I think we have the MMC Mobile question well and truly settled. They work!

Last edited by dsmudger; 2005-11-09 at 12:16.

MMC Mobile Pro : speed (but can the 770 handle it ?)
Con : size limitation : 512 MB (RS MMC : 1 GB)

dsmudger, do you see any speed improvement on the Nokia itself?

Not sure.. can you suggest a test to benchmark the speed of the new card? The video playback was about the same - i.e. unfortunately the bundled trailer does definitley drop frames/show 'tearing' artefacts whether it's played back from internal memory or the MMC Mobile.

Seems clear this is a CPU issue though, since it took around 15secs to move - and the video content is way longer than that. I'm hoping a more efficient/optimised decoder will emerge by the power of Open Source at some point

Mmmmh, maybe :
- time to boot an application
- video playback (on an other video)
... That's not easy

Hmm - I'm actually not too sure how you install apps on the memory card - they all go to the internal memory...

Tell you what, I'll copy the video to internal mem., then copy to the bundled card and afterwards to my new 'Integral' 512MB MMC Mobile... Can't do it now since I'm at work - can get away with the odd forum post, but poking around on the 770 is a bit too obvious as far as slacking off goes

I'll report back in a bit

I think the easiest test would be to measure the time needed to copy a BIG file from internal memory to each card.
Thanks
O Fred

OK here goes (Ice age 2 trailer seems to be a good file since everyone will have it and be able to compare different brands of card in future - a 'reference', if you will):

Note the MMC mobile is 'Intergral' branded. I'm also /copying/ not moving - to ensure that the deletion of the original in the 'move' does not skew the results a bit

MMC Mobile to internal memory: 25 seconds
Internal memory to MMC Mobile: 16 seconds

(hmm - is it the read speed or the write speed that's the limiting factor here?)

Nokia RS-MMC to internal memory: 30 seconds
Internal memory to Nokia RS-MMC: 25 seconds

Well, regarding my question above in brackets... Lets find out
PC to Nokia RS-MMC: 22 seconds
Nokia RS-MMC to PC: 10 seconds

PC to MMC Mobile: 16 seconds
MMC Mobile to PC: 10 seconds

Now it's possible that the 770 to PC speed was limited by the USB connection - I'm using a reasonably recent Dell box - though it is remotely possible that the tech bods at my work haven't installed USB2 drivers correctly or whatever - if this is obvious from the numbers, then please let me know...

I'll leave this data up for people to discuss without drawing any conclusions myself (just yet ) - I'm still at work after-hours and it's time I headed off home really!

But if someone could help me out here and look up the speed of USB (remember the file is 8MB) and compare to 4/5MB /sec. that 770-to-PC transfers seem to max out at, and also do some analysis on the internal-memory-to-card-to-internal-memory figures, I'd be much obliged

I'm sure heated debate of the figures and/or analysis will follow! (looking forward to it )