Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That to me sounds like they intend to "fully support" LTE for EU & China markets, & will look at other markets only once they get some momentum from the former.

You made the point in one of the threads that a presentation isn't the "be all & end all", & that a steady flow of info will come before & after it.
How about following your own advice? And can we please get back to useful Ideas/Qns & Concerns/Criticisms now folks...
That advice before jolla announced it and I could never have dreamed of a preorder without spec and proper information, plus I expected more from the presentation

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
My "Qns & Concerns" is the mechanical design of the other half interface of the device, how is it done so that it satisfies at least these boundary conditions:
  • easy to change/snap on
  • sturdy enough not to part by itself in normal use
  • resistant to wear/breaking when connected/disconnected
  • resistant to dirt collecting on the mounting parts and crevices
  • If there's electical interface and/or communication interface, its mechanical stability and protection

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Add the basic questions too:
  • memory?
  • processor?
  • GPS/Glonass-software?
  • battery size?

Resolution and release date would be nice too...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-21 at 10:52.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Has anyone see the battery cover or is there an other removable cover under 'the other half'-cover?!

Edit:

You can see the back of Jolla Phone here but it is very plain, no battery..no card slot ..and there have to be a second removable cover...

Last edited by willi6868; 2013-05-21 at 12:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
So in summary, what's your Idea/Qn or Concern/Criticism? (the latter has to based on known facts)

Some concerns and questions, hopefully factual enough.

Originally Posted by Jolla.com
Colours, fonts, tones, profiles, functionalities - all will adapt just as you wish by simply uniting the halves.

Automatically launch and modify an application linked to the other half.
Link your favorite music or brand into your Jolla. These are examples to spark your creativity.

There are endless possibilities to what you create with your other half. This is a mobile revolution.
This is Jolla. Go create.
Regarding the "other half"

What is called by jolla "a mobile revolution"¹ seems to fit the description of regular auto-run functionality wrt. hot-plugable media. The functionality implies a USB interface connection (or similar) to the back cover. This could also provide extended functionality such as a better camera/flash, buttons or a bigger battery², if the circuitry powering the USB port supports it.

- What kind of interface is used for the "other half" and how deep is the level of interaction with the device developers can expect? For example would we be able to connect our own devices/hardware and load our own drivers for them? Or will we only be able to use ready-made hooks provided by the SDK to access predermined types of functionality like changing color?

- According to ² the interface will be "open to third parties". Does this include the community
at large or only "partners", with no detailed information on protocols freely available otherwise?

Regarding the OS and UI

Judging from the quote above and other PR, Jolla seems to focus on individualizing the look and feel of one's personal phone to one's own liking (being "unlike" via "Ambiance").

- Does jolla's concept of "being unlike" extend beyond choosing a different color theme for the UI and what constitutes inserting a memory card with your music on it, or "is that it"?

Jolla seems strongly highlight their Ambiance feature when talking about their product, implying a strong opinion about how the UI should look and be used.

- Can we modify (manually/with custom apps if need be) other aspects of the UI in ways usually considering theming, or will the look/workings of the UI be locked down to prevent a non-Sailfish look? Examples would be changing icons, indicator placement, changing the layout of kinds of information displayed on the different view panels (feeds view, status menu etc).

¹ Jolla.com
² http://pocketnow.com/2013/05/20/joll...ew-marc-dillon

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fawz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Has anyone see the battery cover or is there an other removable cover under 'the other half'-cover?!

Edit:

You can see the back of Jolla Phone here but it is very plain, no battery..no card slot ..and there have to be a second removable cover...

I have the feeling that the smartphone is not yet finished. Although the word that the 100€/40€ not need to invest, but I think just that it is exploited. That is probably the reason why still can not give precise data on CPU / GPU / battery and more.

I do not know why I pre-ordered. Without knowing how the hardware will be at the end.

will it
- 0.3 megapixel front camera? or at times 1.3 or 2 megapixels?
- Video Calls for Skype, Xabber and other?
- Full HD video recording can you do?
Play 720p/1080p videos without stutter -?
- Which video / audio formats are supported?
- If you can install with this display LPS?
- Will it have 1400mAh? or can we look forward to even 2xxx or 3xxx mAh?
- How much earlier the pre-orders will get the smartphone?
- Be the € 100 pre-orders also get the entire box full of covers?
- Veeeery and many other questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
My concern about other half. If it's NFC, how do they take care of security?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_f...curity_aspects

Even if it's not NFC, the same question applies.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
It is so funny to read all the useless speculations. We have had some good vids where both hardware and software are shown. The rest of the specs will come later... so be happy for now.

Beautiful design, clever in its set-up, so that a back cover can change colour, functionality and add hardware !

No use to gossip or to 'demand' or to be 'disappointed'* in functionality that surpasses the price, the design idea and the software development (for now).
Just try to understand the concept; "The other half" & "Unlike", the open way software partners are encouraged to participate etc. etc.

For now I support the tweets that demand: "Take my money now !"

* All those mobile hardware engineers here that think the bevels are to big Tell me, where do you suppose the hardware should go ? Specially the hardware that can be added by the back cover ?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eerde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
My concern about other half. If it's NFC, how do they take care of security?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_f...curity_aspects

Even if it's not NFC, the same question applies.
Indeed and unless the frequency it runs on is strongly atenuated by the atmosphere, someone with a high gain antena located at the right chokepoint could have a fieldday even from quite a distance.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open