Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Capitalism, yes. Free-market, no. I wish people knew the difference more often. I'm at least glad that you, and other people here, know. I do hate the US telco systems right now.
The only truly free mobile market is in countries where phone locking is banned. It's shocking that any country allows it.

Is there any possible advantage to a customer having their phone locked? Does it promote competition in any possible way? Nope. All it does is reduce competition and make phone networks lazy.

Some people seem to think "free market" means an economy where companies can do whatever they want. In fact a real free market means an economy where customers can do whatever they want, choose whichever services they want, which means the companies have to jump to it if they want to keep people coming back for more. The harder you make companies work for customers, the more efficient and innovative they will be.

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
Honestly, I don't know.

When I try to view (most) Flash objects (myspace music player, various video sites) on my N810, they all say I need to upgrade to the latest version of flash (which is ver10 atm), which is not possible.
Are you absolutely sure you haven't got Flash switched off some of the time? If you go to a Flash site on the tablets with Flash switched off, you'll get exactly the same error message about it being out of date even when it isn't.

Flash automatically switches off if the tablet runs out of RAM, and it won't tell you it's switched off so you won't know it has.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
Sorry, I knew it started with a "c"...
No problem. The words are too similar, and it gets worse when you have to read spec sheets from different video hardware manufacturers who randomly pick one or the other to abbreviate as "CV".

...there was also mention of the other method of viewing was UPnP via WLAN. Any ideas what the resolution limit would be in that case?
I'm guessing, but that's likely a less "hard" boundary. It's probably going to depend upon the processor load vs capability, the bus, and the connection. It's an area that will be ripe for exploration and experimentation once the device ships.

Whoa there... hitting a little static on your dial-up?
Trying to be witty or just a douchebag?

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Erm... how is 3G not part of the phone?

Oh wait... do you mean that your SIM card only works with networks that don't use your phone's frequencies?
Actually, I was referring to "voice" and "data" as two separate parts of the phone. Additionally, this post, the immediately reply to my first one, kind of scared me.

Originally Posted by spock View Post
I don't think the n900 has the same 3G frequency as AT&T uses, so it'll work as a GSM phone and using EDGE for data but no 3G. This also excludes ALL of Canada since there's only one GSM provider here at the moment.
As for the rest of the conversation with everyone around US Telco companies and being able to buy unlocked phones online, I agree completely.

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Trying to be witty or just a douchebag?
Need, and is there any?

Lets all play nicely together please.

From Quim's twitter feed ...
"Ogg lovers: Maemo 5 comes with Speex. Vorbis/Theora can be developed by the community as one-click install http://bit.ly/nFWKs"

Isn't Speex the text to voice engine ? So it is integrated with all text based apps or just a standalone engine which has to be called from any text based app ? How would it work ? Am curious .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Whoa there... hitting a little static on your dial-up?
Well, Bulgaria has better broadband than a good part of the world, so probably not. There is no Nokia e-shop here though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on May 2009 @ San Francisco
[QUOTE=JayOnThaBeat;316623]Honestly, I don't know.

Then that makes two of us.... ;-)

Nokia has licensed sourcecode for Adobe Flash Player, and I don't have full details on the implementation... hard for me to talk specific details yet, sorry.

But I do know that many content sites check for H.264 support, which arrived on the desktop in Adobe Flash Player 9.0.115.0 in December of last year. Some sites today specifically use Player 10 features, and some always check for the current versions as a security nudge... it's hard to generalize about sites' various detection schemes.

But, as before, we're in the final months of an architecture change... Player 10 is moving beyond laptops to mobile and home systems. First results should be at the end of the year, with production ramping up next year. This generation features over-the-air updating, as well as intrinsic cross-device support, so things should be simpler than they are today.

Best word on what the N900 can do would come from Nokia themselves, but I know that general progress is being made in this area, if that's of help.

jd/adobe

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jdowdell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Isn't Speex the text to voice engine ?
Nope, just a lossy audio codec optimized for speech