Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey fanoush. Will you be releasing another port for the N8x0 come the November 16th release?

Only asking, not a request this time.

Also, if you do, will it have SCI support?

Looks like in your current version you have that blocked out for some reason.

Thanks chief!

By the way, I'm still enjoying Discworld, so again, many thanks!

Just to recap, the three most important (and very small) changes I did on top of the included maemo patch were:

Add -lX11 to link flags. This was enough to build the whole package and get it running as well.

Added RX-51 to the list of keyboard-equipped Maemo devices

Commented out the SDL_WM_SetIcon call. This enabled getting window focus -> enabled you to use the keyboard.

The rest is just trying to get the keyboard mappings to such a state that they make sense on the N900 - and I'm still missing the ability to enter the save dialog and enter numbers - the keyboard command part of the code is a bit confusing there and I don't know SDL anyway.
Also I enabled the SCI and SCI32 engines because I wanted to play Quest for Glory 2.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey fanoush. Will you be releasing another port for the N8x0 come the November 16th release?
Yes, I don't have N900 so N8x0 and 770 are my preferred devices :-)
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Also, if you do, will it have SCI support?
Official ScummVM package (the one available at scummvm.org site) adheres to rules set by ScummVM developers. AFAIK the SCI engine is currently disabled in official build since it is not out of beta, see http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Engines . Many engines live like that for a long time. Once it is good enough it is enabled with a big fanfare in some release. I am not sure about stability of SCI engine but for build in Maemo extras I guess we can have extra beta engines enabled if at least some games are completable for such engines. Or maybe it would be better to make available some unstable scummvm package with all such engines enabled.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
OK, I have finally installed Fremantle SDK and made some build of scummvm, installed into x86 target to test with the fancy Maemo 5 UI and indeed there are some issues.

Originally Posted by toninikkanen View Post
Commented out the SDL_WM_SetIcon call. This enabled getting window focus -> enabled you to use the keyboard.
Yes, happens in Xephyr too.

The rest is just trying to get the keyboard mappings to such a state that they make sense on the N900.
As I don't have the device I need a bit of help here. So we have no fullscreen, no home and no menu button. Do we have Escape key? What shortcuts are good for those on N900? In maemo developers there was some discussion about fullscreen key, what about other SDL based ports? would ctrl+space be good for fullscreen? What about others? Is there no way to switch to fullscreen in the UI?

Maybe with so many buttons missing, some virtual buttons on screen are really needed :-(

and I'm still missing the ability to enter the save dialog and enter numbers - the keyboard command part of the code is a bit confusing there and I don't know SDL anyway.
At least on N810 holding Fn worked to print numbers, Fn is not sticky in SDL. Does this work with N900 too?

So I guess to test the water I will start with fremantle specific sources for uploading to fremantle extras-devel (hopefully this weekend) and try one source for all later. As for dependencies and maemo autobuilder it looks great. I see there is both libvorbisidec and libmad in fremantle extras-devel but libmad is not in extras. FLAC is in both.

As for power management - do SDL apps get lost focus event when the application is switched away or display is blank? How can I blank the display in SDK?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
As I don't have the device I need a bit of help here. So we have no fullscreen, no home and no menu button. Do we have Escape key?
That's right, there isn't any of those. Backspace is a good candidate for Escape key.

What about others? Is there no way to switch to fullscreen in the UI?
There is no universal way to switch to fullscreen, soft button is needed. One option is to keep it always in fullscreen mode.

At least on N810 holding Fn worked to print numbers, Fn is not sticky in SDL. Does this work with N900 too?
I haven't tested scummvm but Fn button works in SDL as before.

. I see there is both libvorbisidec and libmad in fremantle extras-devel but libmad is not in extras. FLAC is in both.
Depencies will be promototed automatically towards extras as needed.

As for power management - do SDL apps get lost focus event when the application is switched away or display is blank? How can I blank the display in SDK?
SDL_ACTIVEEVENT is received when window is backgrounded. This patch is from madbomber, where game is paused quite violently when it loses focus.

Code:
+         else if (event.type == SDL_ACTIVEEVENT)
+           {
+             if ( event.active.gain == 0)
+               {
+                 Mix_PauseMusic();
+                 while (SDL_WaitEvent(&event) )
+                 {
+                   if (event.type == SDL_ACTIVEEVENT && event.active.gain == 1 ) break;
+                   if (event.type == SDL_QUIT )
+                   {
+                      quit = 1;
+                     break;
+                   }
+                 }
+               }
+             Mix_ResumeMusic();
+           }
This is not very good (better than nothing still) because sound isn't deinitialzed so pulseaudio stays active. And even if sound was completely disabled, SDL won't let processor to sleep unless SDL is killed completely.

ACTIVEEVENT is not received when screen blanks. For that we should use libosso, but right now (or again ) I can't get it to receive display events.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, I don't have N900 so N8x0 and 770 are my preferred devices :-)

Official ScummVM package (the one available at scummvm.org site) adheres to rules set by ScummVM developers. AFAIK the SCI engine is currently disabled in official build since it is not out of beta, see http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Engines . Many engines live like that for a long time. Once it is good enough it is enabled with a big fanfare in some release. I am not sure about stability of SCI engine but for build in Maemo extras I guess we can have extra beta engines enabled if at least some games are completable for such engines. Or maybe it would be better to make available some unstable scummvm package with all such engines enabled.
Oh yeah!

I'm all about instability!

Just ask anyone who knows me!

I do understand that the daily builds can play a game, such as Leisure Suite Larry VGA, in it's entirety one day and then break it the next. So there's no guarantees on anything with an unofficial release.

It still would be fun just to try a few out though.

Your call. Either way, it won't take away my happiness from your current build.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
ACTIVEEVENT is not received when screen blanks. For that we should use libosso, but right now (or again ) I can't get it to receive display events.
Or hildon-games-wrapper, which was designed specifically for SDL games. If only upstream development was active...

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
one can use key combinations like Ctrl+Enter to switch to fullscreen too.

Is this still being worked on? I would love to have this working on N900.

I am no longer actively doing anything at least, since I supposed others picked up the ball..