Active Topics

Notices

I know everyone is caught up in Quake 3, but I was curious whether anyone had gotten DOOM working on the N900 yet. I know it existed for the N800, N810. I wish I had the knowledge to port a game otherwise I'd do it and not ask.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Texas
I second the request for a Doom port.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovakia/Bratislava
did you try dosbox?

works fine from dosbox.

The Following User Says Thank You to borland For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Edit: Latest release notes here.

It (prboom) is in extras-devel, and for good reason. The default keyboard mapping is worthless because the N900's enter key doesn't register as such, and there's not really sound as of yet. I did optify it, but it's a very rough WIP.

Remember, software in extras-devel could cause data loss, hair loss, spouse loss, global warming, or male pattern baldness. Don't enable the extras-devel repository unless you know exactly what you're doing, and don't leave it enabled on your N900 or you're just asking for trouble.

If you do decide to install it, you'll need an iwad file. I've been using the one from freedoom, which is, coincidentally enough, free. Put it in /opt/doom/wads.

Then you'll either want to copy the attached cfg file (remove the .txt part--that was so i could attach it) to /home/user/.prboom/ or run prboom once to generate a config file at /home/user/.prboom/prboom.cfg and then edit the cfg file to change the key_menu_enter mapping: the N900 enter key code is 0x10d, not 0xd. At that point, you can enter the game and use the menu to remap other keys. I'd recommend turning off the mouse, as its present behavior is a bit weird. Also switch the color depth to 16 bit-it makes a huge difference. It's silky smooth and delicious that way. I've already made those changes to the attached cfg file.

I was hoping to have this a bit more ready for testing tonight with a decent default config file delivered up front but i'm out of time on this for a bit.

Finding an ideal keymap and the best settings available from the menu is something anyone can do to help out. If you get stuck, remember that you can tap the power button and choose "close this application" to get out.

Note to would-be app maintainers:

I was careful to document everything i did as i prepared the ubuntu/debian package for maemo. Anyone who is looking for a bit of a working example on how to start with maemo packaging can grab the source package in the SDK scratchbox
Code:
apt-get source prboom
and look at the changelog in ./debian. I also have a todo list there...

Known Issues
  • The "Enter" key of the N900 doesn't have the same key code as prboom expects, so you have to change it with a text editor or use the attached config file. See above.
  • No default iwad is installed. See above.
  • Probably suffers from Nokia's localization bug AKA "Dude, where's my up arrow key?". Workaround described here.
  • Sound doesn't work. I had to package the dependency libsmpeg and will probably need to go back and make sure it actually works, rather than just builds. Best solution would be to use an already-working sdl mpg library, but not sure how involved that would be.
  • There's no way to map keys in-game to call up the menu once the demo or game starts. I suspect this is hard-mapped to "Esc", so will have to check the source code. Partial workarounds are possible by mapping other actions within the menu, but nothing very satisfactory.
  • No throttling or pausing on loss of focus: don't leave it running in the background while you go off and do other things or your battery will be mad.
  • Mouse control breaks the ability to use the on-screen exit button and generally isn't helpful. Leave it OFF.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt prboom.cfg.txt (9.8 KB, 224 views)

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-01-03 at 02:33.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I played around with this a bit this morning and couldn't find a satisfactory way to map a key to call up the menu once the game has started by using the config file. I suspect it's hard-coded to "Esc" and will take a simple source code edit to fix. It's definitely playable. Just make sure you map a key to "Save Game" in the settings menu before you start, or you'll have to lose your session when you quit.

I summarized the known issues in the previous post. If you don't see anything there that you can't handle and are willing to take the risk of using devel-quality apps, feel free to install it and give it a go.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

I also was hacking a bit PrBoom but don't have time to continue with it. My interest was adding accelerometer support for it. It mapped to forward/backward/strafing and touchscreen to turning. It works fine but need more tuning, also would be nice to map proximity sensor to Fire. BTW, sound works if PrBoom is compiled with SDL mixer disabled.
I could provide my patches to anyone who has time to continue (if they are of any use ):
  • accelerometer usage for movement, needs tuning and some configuration support
  • fix to enable exit from full screen mode
  • disable exit confirmation to be able just close the window from dashboard

The Following User Says Thank You to metra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by metra View Post
I also was hacking a bit PrBoom but don't have time to continue with it. My interest was adding accelerometer support for it. It mapped to forward/backward/strafing and touchscreen to turning. It works fine but need more tuning, also would be nice to map proximity sensor to Fire.
It should also work with the little accerometer->joystick wrapper i am testing out in uqm. My experience with accelerometer control so far doesn't make me very optimistic about it being very useful for a fast-twitch game like doom.

BTW, sound works if PrBoom is compiled with SDL mixer disabled.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately this will disable music, but i haven't set that up to work yet, anyway.

I think disabling the quit confirmation is a worthwhile change and would rather not hunt down the place in the code that handles that since you already have. Please share.

The new version that comes with workable keymaps and audio is just waiting for the autobuilder to be fixed. I'll edit this when it's available. If you have already installed the first version, delete the config file ~/.prboom/prboom.cfg before installing the update and it will give you the new keymaps. (Nevermind, i'll just have it mindlessly overwrite the config file this version. It's only the second release in devel. :P)

Fn - fire
Shift / Z - strafe left/right
Ctrl - run
a - strafe

top row of keyboard (qwertyuio) - weapon keys (correspond to number keys)
, - best weapon
space - activate
etc.

Basically the controls are clustered around the fire button on the left (Fn) and the arrow keys on the right. Localized keyboards will probably need the workaround described in my earlier post.

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-31 at 16:56.

Instead of the headache, why not try id made flash doom?

http://www.kongregate.com/games/mike_id/doom-1

The Following User Says Thank You to mas5acre For This Useful Post:
You didn't...

Originally Posted by mas5acre View Post
Instead of the headache, why not try id made flash doom?

http://www.kongregate.com/games/mike_id/doom-1
You did!

You seriously just recommended a flash version of a FPS game over a compiled binary? ROFL

Well, since you asked...
  1. This requires Flash 10
  2. It maps keys that the N900 doesn't have
  3. It locked up my browser
  4. and it's Flash ffs. This is not a sane use case for Flash, especially on a mobile device where energy and cycles are limited

Just LOL
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: