Would it be possible to get pulse audio up and running on maemo?

For those of you who dont know, pulse audio is a new linux sound system that allow you to stram audio to any other computers speakers that has the server running. If that system has multiple speaker outputs you can select which ones to pipe the audio stream to.

If this were up and running I could set up a linux box with a few different sound cards and run the audio to different room in my house. I could then use pulse audio serer to stream the audio to any one or all or whichever set of speaker I want.

I am no developer, but I know pulse uses alsa. I'm not sure if maemo uses alsa or oss or what. But a pulse audio interface would really open up some possibilities. You could then easily (point and click) and stream audio to any device that can run pulse. like a toaster. ha

jk, but seriously, we need this. youtube it "pulse audio"

eric

The Following User Says Thank You to ericcmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I've thought about doing this a few times so I could use my N810 as a wireless headset; I haven't had the spare time lately, but I'd be interested in trying it out if someone else ported it.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
i <3 pulse audio, i use pulse audio on ubuntu

i'd be interested in looking at porting but my user account iis broken on my computer

idm, i haden't given much thought to using the nit as a server(headphones), but rather the other way around as in piping my canola audio to one of the outputs on my nix box.

This begs the question... What audio stream is it that a desktop can play that the nit cannot? Playing a CD??? That makes no sence.

I'm sure there are many good reasons to use pulse in this mannor. But using the nit as a client(player) has many more.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I doubt this works very well. The gui stuff like volume control I couldn't be bothered to compile. I havent tested or set up this. May mess up other deps.
I don't think also I compiled the deps needed for network :/

http://www.mediafire.com/?d3wx0tzd9kg

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Ouch... thank you for trying, though... I can't get it working either...
Originally Posted by ericcmi View Post
idm, i haden't given much thought to using the nit as a server(headphones), but rather the other way around as in piping my canola audio to one of the outputs on my nix box.

This begs the question... What audio stream is it that a desktop can play that the nit cannot? Playing a CD??? That makes no sence.
Well, there's the storage thing, and being able to use Amarok (I know, I can use Amarok on the IT too, but things like song filtering tale longer. ) And even more importantly, gaming! I can play on my Wii and use my IT as wireless headphones so I don't bother anyone else.

I suppose I could try to run tvtime over SSH to get the video on the N810, but the screen is rather small....

I can see your point about using it to quickly get wireless speakers and the like too, though. The really nice thing about Pulse is that it would let both cases be used!

(Also, one of my computers has no speakers, so it's always using Pulse to borrow another machine's anyway. )

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
-> 05-16-2008 05:49 PM
qwerty12 :
Re: Pulse audio client/server on NIT ?
I doubt this works very well. The gui stuff like volume control I couldn't be bothered to compile. I havent tested or set up this. May mess up other deps.
I don't think also I compiled the deps needed for network :/

http://www.mediafire.com/?d3wx0tzd9kg
the package seems to be very old and not up-to-diablo

@ qwerty12: can you please repackage it to the up-to-dates version?
-> thanks!

grreeeeez thopiekar

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
This is interesting, I recently setup a pulse-audio "network" in my house for streaming audio between rooms/backyard/etc and have thought about options for other hardware instead of full blown Linux PCs. The tablet I can see making sense as a server for the simple fact that it's easy to carry around and control/pick audio/etc, though I don't know how well it will work in that sense, especially when using combine to stream to multiple outputs, as the CPU power required to do sound synchronization (sync between local source and networked outputs) can be fairly intensive (sure you could disable local playback by not loading the sink for it, but I think the server is still the one responsible for co-ordinating/calculating sync signals between the clients). Running as a client would probably have a similiar sort of problem since the client needs to actually perform the sync adjustments/etc which take CPU power. The other big problem I can see is the wireless equation; I haven't tested the newer (0.9.10 I think is the one I'm running now) version, but on the old version I had (0.9.7 I believe) trying to do streaming over a wireless network to another PC resulted in horrible choppy sound/broken playback because of the latency the wireless network incurred.

Anyways, still very interested to see. I know the OpenWRT guys have been working on porting this to their ARM platforms for a while and have had numerous dependency problems on ARM, so if anyone who's attempting this runs into compiling issues it might be worth taking a look at the OpenWRT stuff to see if any of the problems (and answers) are similiar.

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Well, it seems Pulse Audio will be part of Maemo in the next release anyway, so you could as well just sit back and wait....

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967
Re: Pulse audio client/server on NIT ?
Well, it seems Pulse Audio will be part of Maemo in the next release anyway, so you could as well just sit back and wait....
You are right, but sitting here and waiting 3 months along would be horrible ... without food, aso... [jokingly ]

I think it would be nice if someone would make it available yet

Tags
maemo5, pulseaudio