Active Topics

Notices

Does anyone know if this is going to be developed, or any reason why it is likely that it won't be? I know there's other maps applications for Maemo, and you can use google maps through the browser but as far as I am aware there is no way of automatically utilizing the gps and then pulling up things like google business info, reviews, wikipedia articles etc relating to whatever local POI you're searching for. I have searched around and the question has been posted on the google mobile help site but as yet no answers

I'm just starting to write something like this using libchamplain. Step 1. is complete, libchamplain is compiled and I'll upload it to extras-devel this evening.

Ideas and patches welcome, but in the first instance I'd like to add IM contact locations, POI from e.g. wikipedia, and probably location where photos were taken using their geotags.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
<snip>
I'd like to add IM contact locations,
<snip>
,and probably location where photos were taken using their geotags.
I would love that (even started a thread about something similar a while back). But why just IM contacts? I would like to be able to bring up all the contacts in my ...contact list. Well, at least those with an address..

This may be too much and not even interesting, but would it be possible to link the photo/contacts thumbnails or icons from the maps application to the photobrowser/contacts application? So if I'm in maps, find a photo or a contact, I could tap the the thumbnail/icon and open up the photo in the photo browser/contact in the contacts application?

My immediate interest was for use at the (next) summit, where e.g. I'd like to know where people are in the city and also I'd like to see where the nearest pub/restaurant is.

I don't see any reason why contacts' addresses couldn't be added too.

This may be too much and not even interesting, but would it be possible to link the photo/contacts thumbnails or icons from the maps application to the photobrowser/contacts application? So if I'm in maps, find a photo or a contact, I could tap the the thumbnail/icon and open up the photo in the photo browser/contact in the contacts application?
Yeah, should be pretty easy to do, as long as the apps in question allow the selection to be made programmatically.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Hey Lardman. This is a very good project. Wish you all the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know if Google will release a version of Google Maps for Maemo?

Google Maps is probably the main thing I'll miss when moving from my N95 to N900.

It'd be nice to see if the Google Maps website worked well in the browser, but even then, it's not GPS "aware" is it?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
MaemoMapper can work with Google maps. But to officially support it, it would need the permission of Google to use their maps, which I think will not happen. Google is not _that_ opensource-friendly.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
MaemoMapper can work with Google maps. But to officially support it, it would need the permission of Google to use their maps, which I think will not happen. Google is not _that_ opensource-friendly.
MaemoMapper is pretty good but....

Google Latitude works pretty perfect with Google Maps!!!

Just download and open up Google Latitude and click on the top for options to open up Google Maps !!!!

You can then search the Map just like you would in the iPhone or Android App !!!

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ queen creek , AZ
google latitude on nokia is nothing like google latitude on android .. nothing ..

Hmm, it's not far off tbh, at least seems pretty similar to that running on my wife's Android 1.6 phone. The exceptions being that you have to keep the webpage/app open all the time to produce location updates and the zooming in/out is a but clunky.