Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Himself? Who is this Jolla person you speak of?

[Seems like a certain anti-Jolla troll on Twitter picked up my post here. In case you got here through that link, you know about whom I'm talking. Fair criticism and free opinion is always good, but what that guy does certainly not.]

As much as I have supported Jolla and personally don't really care about the tablet delay, the communcation of the company is noticeable bad - actually really bad.

Seeing quiet a lot of upset customers makes me sad for this in my opinion amazing project, especially because most of the dissapointement I read, is due to lack of communication.

Jolla only started to write on their blog about the tablet issues this summer, after the community put a huge pressure on them. As soon as this pressure weakend, Jolla went again silent. Especially a crowdsourcing project should NEVER lack communication between project-creator and supporter (we are not buyers, but investors who possibly get a tablet as a reward).

Not only does Jolla upset their supporters, they also do a extremely bad job marketing wise - there is no publicity if a company goes silent. Also the first FairPhone had a rather big delay, yet they did in my opinion a much better and cerative job in keeping their supporters informed (please correct me if you were a FairPhone supported and think I'm wrong).

The hole Marc Dillon story is another thing I don't get. I have no problem with his decision and see Jolla perfectly fine without him (even though his impressive personality and skills would be a loss for any company). But if you constantly put a spotlight on a person like Marc Dillon, you cannot stay silent if that person leaves the company. Jolla should have sat together with Dillon to create and publish an announcement, which doesn't need to include all the details of his leaving, but at least a message of what is going on (it certainly shouldn't be the community which has to research a possible departure of Marc Dillon).

I hope Jolla will soon understand how such bad communication can not only kill a product (people don't forget that easily), but also the name of a company. As a Jolla fan and someone who has marketing-experiences, this is worrying me quiet a lot.

Jolla ‏@JollaHQ 4m4 minutes ago
We're almost there with #Jolla Tablet! A schedule update is in the works, and we’ll post it as soon as we can. We apologize for the delays.
...ohh and that word 'soon' really should not be used anymore. 'Soon' NEVER has been a good word for marketing-communications (and if, you have to be very careful with it). Please Jolla, hang up a poster in your office stating that right now

I look forward to the tablet (how ever long it takes to receive it) and have been a very happy Jolla/Sailfish OS users. I'm aware of problems, struggles and restrictions a small company like Jolla can easily run into and how difficult it is at the same time to please customers who often expect a flawless product which matches the quality of a product that has the multiple of ressources.

But good and honest communication is always the first right step to a good final product, especially when you have such a strong and dedicated community. Good luck Jolla and while a small company is more vulnerable to such mistakes, I hope we see an improvement soon.

Last edited by caprico; 2015-09-20 at 15:02.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Berlin
thanks caprico, a very good contribution - I am absolutely of the same opinion

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
On twitter:
Jolla‏@JollaHQ 12.37 - 18. sep. 2015
"We're almost there with #Jolla Tablet! A schedule update is in the works, and we’ll post it as soon as we can. We apologize for the delays."

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I'm am almost sure they will post an update coming week and it is probably delayed again.

I say this once again Jolla has give us alot more info than bigger companies ever would do and you people still crying like 10 year old children not getting their candy.

I guess you guys has never worked with Hardware/Software inside companies!? Because if you did, you should now how much that may go wrong all the time!!! And almost the time not even you boss do realise how long it will take to fix x/y.

I am sure the Jolla employers working all night long to get the damn tablet out!!!

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

I am sure the Jolla employers working all night long to get the damn tablet out!!!
Sure thing - and from the moment I have the tablet I can stop waiting and devote my time on formulating constructive complaints to counter the further Androidification of Sailfish OS in order to please Intex India or other telecom partners.

-peek horizontal swipe - real full screen peak with foreground app animation still running, not freezing
-swipe cover actions should return
-favorites menu done in a smart way, not like in preview 2.0 half finished and forgotten the other part
-pulley favorites menu should come back
-elegant and fluent remorse timer AKA old remorse timer
-fix multitasking and don't make shortcuts out of previously running minimized apps

All those should be configurable in setttings / options, because changes should not be forced on the main base of happy users (small investors) by a few voters or investors with a momentary vision.

I start to find those more important issues now than getting the tablet this week or next month..

Because mediocre Jolla hardware stand and falls with the geniality of the Sailfish OS!

Last edited by ste-phan; 2015-09-20 at 10:09.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I'm am almost sure they will post an update coming week and it is probably delayed again.

I say this once again Jolla has give us alot more info than bigger companies ever would do and you people still crying like 10 year old children not getting their candy.

I guess you guys has never worked with Hardware/Software inside companies!? Because if you did, you should now how much that may go wrong all the time!!! And almost the time not even you boss do realise how long it will take to fix x/y.

First of all why would you compare with bad examples instead of comparing with good ones(e.g. Pebble with smaller resources and 2 successful campaigns with great communication)

Second of all, it's interesting that when it's needed you compare Jolla to big companies(do big companies make campaigns for every device, because Jolla does, which makes people funders btw), but on other hand when it suites you better you are telling that Jolla is not big comapny and just a startup. So please make your mind. In any case companies nowdays are more communicating and Jolla provides info only if there is pressure and a lot of whining from community(not first time). And most info is just PR words with not much info. All those "soon", "we'll provide info later", "wait for more details/updates" in update post is like making symlink to symlink that is itself symlink :P

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
-peek horizontal swipe - real full screen peak with foreground app animation still running, not freezing
partially solved by patch "return to app from eventsview" by eugenio

-swipe cover actions should return
the ingenius "PullDown Covers" patch by nodevel brings cover actions to a new level imho. having small pulleys in the covers is ultra convenient to me

-favorites menu done in a smart way, not like in preview 2.0 half finished and forgotten the other part
imagine the appdrawer not always opening completely like it does now, but be able to reveal it row by row if you drag slowly to have the first 1-3 rows better accesible and work as favourites. This screams for a patch.

-pulley favorites menu should come back
not sure about that

-elegant and fluent remorse timer AKA old remorse timer
patch: "return old remorse itemes & pupup" by Ancelad

-fix multitasking and don't make shortcuts out of previously running minimized apps
After using this feature some time now i actually like it. "Only" the OOM in general needs heavy optimization to close less apps "somehow".

All those should be configurable in setttings / options, because changes should not be forced on the main base of happy users (small investors) by a few voters or investors with a momentary vision.
Absolutely! And given there are patches available that reuse the old code(?) suggests only the settings implementation is missing to switch between them? Time will tell if jolla will have capacity to implement i guess.
If not, i am fine with patching the system to my liking thanks to the awesome work of community devs.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Absolutely! And given there are patches available that reuse the old code(?) suggests only the settings implementation is missing to switch between them? Time will tell if jolla will have capacity to implement i guess.
If not, i am fine with patching the system to my liking thanks to the awesome work of community devs.

Ok it is very kind of the developpers to empower us to revert Jolla's not so popular choices.

But don't you worry about what kind of impression the world will get from Sailfish in unpatched state if this trend of ditching and changing unique and useful aspects of the OS flow continues?

When I say Androidization, besides some of the looks I also mean that it will move toward a point where x number of utils and patches need to be installed and checked for compatibility before your system is ready for use.

Rooting, patching and uninstalling bloatware is not my favorite time killer, so please Jolla give us added features enabled in options
instead.

Already I have this mini-windows 8 feeling as well thanks to the missing cover actions.

here are a few voting links to help make our soon to arrive tablet enjoyable by people's power.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...e-running-app/

-swipe cover actions should definitely return, right now I am testing those on an older Sailfish build and cover swipe action feels more powerful, fool proof and satisfying to use.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...-cover-action/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nice to know that nothing will make you guys happy...

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund