addison, he's saying that you will need to create a directory named .fonts before you copy the font file into it. to do this, you type: mkdir /home/user/.fonts

The Following User Says Thank You to DigiSage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
At the command prompt in xterm

Code:
~/$ mkdir .fonts
~/$ cp /media/mmc2/TerminusRe33-Bold.ttf /home/user/.fonts
then reboot

Rick

The Following User Says Thank You to rcull For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Well DigiSage already got me to where I needed to be before you posted.

But hey, I'm not an animal. You get a thanks as well rcull!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, I got excited when I stumbled on this thread. "Cool, custom font in XTerm!"

But then I went and (re-)checked my OS2008 XTerm, and yep, just like I remembered, you get to choose between "Monospace," "Sans," and "Serif". Doesn't matter what fonts you have installed.

What am I missing here?

Addison,

What rcull is saying is that you have to open an xterminal session and type:

cd /
mkdir /home/user/.fonts

And then, copy the terminus font, like this:

cp /media/mmc2/TerminusRes33-Bold.ttf /home/user/.fonts

Okay?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Addison has got his fonts directory set up, he said so two posts ago. But what about my question? How do you choose your new font in XTerm? Do I have to install a different version than the one that comes with OS2008? Do I edit a text file? What?

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Addison has got his fonts directory set up, he said so two posts ago. But what about my question? How do you choose your new font in XTerm? Do I have to install a different version than the one that comes with OS2008? Do I edit a text file? What?
You're in the right spot (Tools->Settings) in xTerm.

It just sounds like the fonts you've added haven't added to the system font list yet. I forget the command to do it off hand, but a reboot will rebuild the list also I'm lazy, so I've just been adding adding things to /usr/share/fonts and rebooting.

FWIW I like to use "Consolas" on the desktop and n810. Very easy on the eyes for long days of coding IMO.

I figured it out, I think. I have my many, many fonts in a "fonts" folder on my SD card. I then soft linked (ln -s) my /home/user/.fonts directory to the SD card's font directory. This works for Maemopad+, which is the only place I normally change fonts, but it seems that OSSO XTerm doesn't like something about it. Perhaps the soft link? I don't know. But space is at too much of a premium for me to copy all of my fonts to the built-in memory.

So I copied Terminus and ProFontWindows into /usr/share/fonts and rebooted, and those two appeared in XTerm's font choice menu.

Any ideas why a soft link to an SD card wouldn't work for fonts?

EDIT: Just checked leafpad, and it also finds all of my fonts on the SD card.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-27 at 01:09.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Since I can't get Monaco 9 to not be anti-aliased, Terminus.

Very cool color configuration... How do I configure colors in Xterm? Can you share your configuration file for that combination?

Regards,

Taguapire.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by clach04 View Post
I can't access the page above (I can get the google cache up though)[/url]
Me too, seems to be down for some time, the google cache shows
I created another TrueType version which only contains bitmap data because Eric's version just didn't do the trick for me on OS X (looked really ugly). Available at:

* Terminus (normal) (http://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/~corec...d/Terminus.ttf)
* Terminus (bold) (http://chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de/~corec...rminusBold.ttf)

-- Simon 'corecode' Schubert (mailto:corecode@fs.ei.tum.de)
These are bitmap ones so no antialiasing (which is perfect for me :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.