Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
THIS BRAINSTORM IDEA is to get ASR (automatic screen rotation) throughout the entire N900 UI.

Please show your support for this idea by commenting or posting any possible solutions. If you haven't yet, you must first RE-register to post in the brainstorm section. (I know, but you must...) There has been plenty of ruckus and debate behind this requested feature, so I know the supporters are out there. At least comment to show support for the idea. I'm sure one of the industrious developers will show up sooner or later.

....theme song to "Jeopardy" begins playing

I made a duplicate brainstorm idea of the same content with no responses, but the current one has two solutions from me. Please ignore the blank one, and if anyone knows how to delete the idea, let me know.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
now to see if anyone wakes up...

christexaport: Start any complex program in your computer where it fits nicely with your screen resolution (complex in UI) now stare at it for 5 mins.
Now imagine how bad or how the visible area are going to be cut to fit it within half of that resolution.
You might consider blend or even open office as an examples for your wild imagination.

After all, I think this might even give a better idea about calling n900 Mobile Computer. & Trust me if you ever tried now days programs with 640x480 res you will feel the PAIN!

Using scroll as a solution wont be good & forcing many rules in the GUI won't support developers either.
I suggest you be happy with whats n900 can offer you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f(x) For This Useful Post:
FYI, I use the Nokia N97, and apps manage to rotate at a resolution of 360x640, and the web and mobile experience on the N97 is the best on any touchscreen mobile with Flash support. I don't find it bad at all. It may look better in landscape, but the tradeoff of having a free hand while on the move outweigh it, in my opinion.

But there we have it! Just what I figured... Those that don't have any interest in ASR whatsoever will troll and try to discourage those that do. Just wanted to see how fast it'd happen.

Read the thread title. PLEASE DON'T post here if you DON'T have an interest in having ASR on the N900 in the future. You're free to make a thread in support of NOT allowing it, but I'm trying to gather supporters, not dissidents.

Please don't disrupt the focus of the thread. I don't want this to turn into a debate.

Last edited by christexaport; 2009-09-24 at 23:07.

Count me in.

I don't think bumping every old thread is going to help your cause:

-_- Most of the major devs don't seem to be interested in this, pointing to Nokia's half-hearted portrait mode support. Best course would be to ask those in the community that worked on the hacked up kernel that does screen-rotation to help do the same for the next-gen devices.

As you can see the thread asking for portrait mode justification, there is a great divide between power users and devs here on this topic.

I use the rotation-enabled kernel on one of my N810 installs but it's quite screwy. There are also fake portrait mode programs like AlmostReal TI calculator emulator.

I guess someone is going to just have to do it (and not worth it for the community until the device is released and thus Fremantle "finalized") because begging hasn't worked so far.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
linuxeventually, I'm just doing all that I can do. What else could I do? I'd go door to door if I had addresses. Bumping those threads may not seem like a good idea to you, but it got you here, and your advice is good, so I'm already happy with the results. Now I need to know something from you:

Who are the developers in the community that worked on the hacked up kernel that does screen-rotation, or were involved in creating apps that feature ASR? Please let me know. I'll do all the leg work.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
There are certainly some types of apps that would be nicer in portrait mode. A dictaphone app that is quick and easy to activate, is something that I would like to see.

Originally Posted by Jason404 View Post
There are certainly some types of apps that would be nicer in portrait mode. A dictaphone app that is quick and easy to activate, is something that I would like to see.
I'm not looking for apps that should support it, I'm talking about the entire UI, like the dashboard and desktops. There is a thread about particular apps. I'm talking about the rotation like that present in the N97, the closest thing you can compare to the N900. The entire device works in either orientation.

Why I felt that if i just post that you will bring a symbian topic to me.
Symbian is using a really really limited user interface. In other word, this environment can be easily predicated and shifted the way you like.

Shouting on me to read the thread is a troll in itself! I don't blindly click on a thread and start talking useless on them & I checked your brainstorm before posting mine to see if you actually had an acceptable solution which you weren't.

It is nice to post about your wishes , but you should even consider the limits you are dealing with.

Back to enlighten you more, I am not going to ask you develop me a program, I will ask you to open Paint and draw me a graphical user interface for a program you can think about it in with respecting to the way windows UI act. Now try to do the same with limiting your self with symbian UI. Now you will see why its easy to rotate the screen with symbian than n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to f(x) For This Useful Post:

Tags
chris vs landscape mode